Update on the Rossi Trail Judge

The April edition of American Rifleman named the Rossi Trail Judge as one of the top guns for 2011 and with a .45 Colt / .410 bore version. Because of the extra attention to the Rossi Ranch Hand this week, many have contacted us about the Trail Judge as a modern version of the Mare’s Leg and with some possible options of mounting a rail, a red dot or laser sight. Sounds cool and opens up for some interesting applications. Well, we have some bad news.

The Trail Judge was shown at the SHOT Show last January. It was a cut down version of the Rossi Rio Grande lever action and according to the 2011 catalog chambered in .410. We talked to a Rossi representative today and we can confirm that the Trail Judge will not be produced. So for those who are looking into a more tactical version of the Mare’s Leg, they need to look for other alternatives.

13 Responses to Update on the Rossi Trail Judge

1. seeker_two

March 26, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Sorry to hear that…hope it wasn’t BATFE problems. I’d love to own one of those with Paradox-style rifiling….certainly that would placate the Gunwalkers…..

2. BAC

March 28, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I was really looking forward to this. any reason given for them not producing it?

3. Lee

March 30, 2011 at 2:02 pm

This is some bullsh*t,… I REALLY wanted this gun!!! How the heck can they advertise the crap out of it and not manufacture it… If anyone from Rossi is reading this and want to gift one to a guy let me know roma_lee_short_iv@yahoo.com
    thanks!

4. daewoonut

April 1, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Bummer to hear that they are not going to build it . I was looking forward to getting one.

5. Allan

April 2, 2011 at 2:01 am

This was a great idea and would have made them a lot of money why would they not produce it??? I agree with Lee if Rossi wants to throw some gifts out let me know.

6. Johnnyredcub

April 3, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Just Great..I promised my wife one of these for here Birthday…I guess it’s
    back to the Big Ass Diamond Ring thing…Thanks Rossi

7. randall

April 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm

rossi … to bad -really- i really would like to have one. great for backpac selfdef etc… great in 410 cal. just from comments above … your lossing out on it. to bad so sad as they say.

8. beantownshootah

April 8, 2011 at 1:56 pm

To be clear, this gun has been listed in the 2011 Rossi Catalog as .410 shotgun ONLY (not .410/.45LC), which means it probably does NOT accept .45LC pistol rounds. Pistol caliber lever rifles are notoriously picky about overall round length, and my assumption is that once calibrated to run .410 shells, this design won’t reliably cycle .45LC rounds.

So even if Rossi ever did actually release it for sale (which it won’t), I still wouldn’t buy one. As a pure .410 gun, I just can’t see *ANY* reason to buy it (not even “just for fun”).

By itself .410 is an anemic shotgun round, barely adequate to hunt pigeons, and inadequate to hunt anything larger than squirrels. In practice, full sized .410 shotguns are barely useful for anything other than training small children to shoot shotguns, and I think in that application 28 gauges make much more sense. So why would I want this bizarre pistol version of a .410?

Its bulky, heavy, not practically concealable on the person, and not storable in a glove-box or desk drawer. In other words, it lacks most of the merits of an ordinary pistol. Plus it requires two hands to cycle safely, another liability in a defensive handgun. Yes you can flip it around and cycle it that way, but that’s more of a movie stunt than a valid technique as the practice violates fundamental gun safety rules.

If it could take .45LC, then it might have SOME role as a backpacking gun, sort of like a bigger/more powerful version of the “Judge” revolvers. In theory the longer sight radius could make it more accurate, and the longer barrel more powerful. But as a .410 only gun, I’m really at a loss for what you’re supposed to do with it.

Even as a “fun gun only” just to bust balloons or tin cans at short ranges with the .410 shells, I’d still rather have one of the “Judge” guns, since at least those can take actually useful .45LC rounds, are somewhat portable, and can be fired as repeaters safely with one hand.

9. daewoonut

April 24, 2011 at 10:23 am

even in .410 only you have all the new Judge ammo out there …. would make a great truck gun for dealing with 4 or 2 leg predators.

10. Eric anderson

August 20, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Its probably not being produce because it looks sawed off and scary . Thanks libs!!

11. Tony

August 24, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Although I disagree in part with beantownshoota (the new .410 ammo, particularly the buckshot has impressive ballistics for self defense) I think he hit on a point here. Since the 28 gauge Raging Judge will not be made, the Mare’s Leg in 28 gauge would be just in my opinion a better idea all around. I hope someone from Rossi reads this.

12. Ben Booker

January 13, 2012 at 7:30 am

Well I guess it is what it is. The Rossi Trial Judge would have been a great compliment to my collection, Who knows maybe someday it will happen..

13. Thomas Queen

March 3, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I think that they should go into production with it and watch the sells go. I would own a coulpe of them myself. A perfect firearm for todays world.