Shooting Gallery: Terminal Ballistics

This week, we explore terminal ballistics from the baseline to the extreme and everything in between. You get to see how defensive rounds perform in gelatin and you might be surprised. Robert Carradine from the Long Riders is our guest in the Ruger Rimfire Celebrity Challenge.

See below for links to more information.

Episode #155 – Season 12.

First Aired: 03-14-12

Airtimes on Outdoor Channel: 06-13 at 4:00PM | 06-13 at 9:00PM | 06-14 at 2:30AM, all times Eastern.

Show Sponsors:

Crimson Trace * Midway USA * Ruger Firearms * Stag Arms * Streamlight * Double Star * Daniel Defense * Taurus * Streamlight

Episode Reference Links:

Special thanks for this episode to:

Gunsite Academy

Ruger Scout Rifle .308

Robert Carradine

Episodes this season:

6 Responses to Shooting Gallery: Terminal Ballistics

1. Bob Clevenger

March 14, 2012 at 2:39 am

I really liked tonight’s show (terminal ballistics) and am wondering if you are going to do more shows on this subject. I’d love to see some tests on high-performance 10mm loads out of short barrels and a test on the classic .30 M1 Carbine in both GI ball and hollow point loads (I load Hornady 90 gr. XTP bullets in it). I also wonder how the 5.56 does when loaded with varmint-type bullets, say 45 gr.

Again, a great show.

2. Anthony Molins

March 15, 2012 at 5:33 pm

One of the best shows you have done so far. Very informative.
    I am a cult follower of the 45 ACP, 00 Buck, and the 1 or 1.5 oz. slug, from Hornady and Federal both. Obviously, over-penetration is not an issue.
    Thanks for validating my choices.
    Keep up the good work.

3. Ron Taylor

March 16, 2012 at 9:30 am

I agree. This may have been the best Shooting Gallery yet! Very informative and fun. I think an interesting idea for a future show would be to do a similar format but looking back at ammunition used in history. Maybe look at rounds used in the past wars and compare and contrast with modern equivalents.
    Anyway, keep up the great work guys!

4. UtahSDI

March 22, 2012 at 10:05 pm

There is nothing cooler than shooting through ballistics gel. The ballistics involved with different calibers is something that more shooters need to understand.

5. Russ

March 28, 2012 at 7:58 am

I didn’t get to see this entire episode. Is there someplace online to watch it?
    What I did get to see was very informative. I’d really like to see the whole episode.

6. D Sanders

June 17, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Great show. It was informative and kept my attention start to finish. Wondered why no consideration of a load of birdshot in the 12 gauge segment.