DRTV Weekly: Semi-auto or pump shotgun for home defense

Many who are shopping for a home defense shotgun end up with the option of two categories. Michael Bane talks about why he prefers the pump action.

9 Responses to DRTV Weekly: Semi-auto or pump shotgun for home defense

1. Ron

November 30, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I agree with about everything Michael says on this subject.

It’s a well-thought out review of the subject, and reinforces my own feelings, as well as adding some additional points.

My only complaint is that throughout most of that video, his finger is on the trigger of those powerful guns, and even though I’m sure he knows they’re unloaded, it’s still a bad practice, and not one we should be teaching those less-experienced shooters who may frequent the site for its excellent information. Just a nit, but a fairly large one, IMHO.

Keep up the good work. I enjoy the podcasts, too!

2. clifford zigler

November 30, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Michael,

In the video you made on shot gun ad vantages, the pump over a simi-auto, your finger was in the trigger guard when the gun was not on target. Was this just camera fright( not you).

Cliff

3. Pete

December 1, 2011 at 1:50 pm

When I saw Michael’s finger slide in the trigger guard, I immediately scrolled down to the comments. I knew someone would already have said something!

4. Steve Davenport

December 2, 2011 at 3:31 pm

It is also very inportant, if you are going to use a shotgun in a confined space (your home), keep hearing protection with the gun. With a handgun you will most likely suffer some hearing loss, with a shotgun –no question, you will suffer major hearing loss. Gun-light-cell phone-hearing protectiion. Good to go.

5. Greg Burkhead

December 4, 2011 at 9:14 am

I also immediately noticed the finger, but I was thinking… “Hmm, that’s Michael Bane. The guy has probably shot a million shotgun rounds. There’s got to be some explanation.”

6. Bob Harris

December 16, 2011 at 8:07 am

I think it is time for the reliability issue of the semi auto to go away. I have an FNH SLP and it has failed to cycle once in over 500 rounds and I have only cleaned it twice. And you can single load it just like a pump, dump a shell in, push the button, pull the trigger, boom. It recoils less and is faster to shoot. Remember when all the old timers talked about the revolver being more reliable than the semi auto handgun. Hate to tell you Michael but maybe.

7. John Brantuk

December 22, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Reply to Bob Harris: With all respect, your semi-auto “failed to cycle once in over 500 rounds” – that’s one more time than my pump gun – 10’s of thousands of rounds and it’s never failed to cycle. Also, remember that some day you might be somewhere where all you can get is “questionable” ammo, and semi’s can be quite sensitive to light loads. I wouldn’t want to bet my or my family’s lives on it.

8. Mike Herring

December 24, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Well don’t get me wrong I love pump action shotguns but I have witnessed pumps malfunction all shooter error but they can go click. I have a custom tuned 870, a Benelli M2, and a Mossberg over and under all for defensive use. Which one would I pick up? The first one that I come to is the one. All 3 have never failed to operate. The 870 and M2 have been through a lot of shotguns schools. How many carry a semi-auto pistol for personal protection it is no difference with a shotgun or rifle. Anything thing can malfunction. The biggest thing is to practice and keep any firearm well maintain. The one that fits and you can shoot well is the one to use.

9. Luis Bernardez

January 13, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I have never seen Mr Bane pick up a gun without putting his finger on the trigger.

It is a BAD habit that he really should break. Never put you finger on the trigger until your ready to fire.

I’m surprised all the shooting instructors he has on his show haven’t fixed this problem.