Down Range Radio #275: Protecting yourself in an unsafe world

This is not the kind of podcast Michael wanted to do this week. He comments on the rampage killings in Aurora, Colorado, but gets beyond the big search for why and instead focuses on plans and strategies for survival in these type of situations. There are no magic answers, but being an observant is one of your primary survival methods before you move into action in a chaotic scenario. Finally, Michael pays tribute to Captain Dave Arnold, one of the founders of USPSA and a dear friend. Dave Arnold passed away on July 21 as a result of injuries suffered in a car accident.

You can also listen to DR Radio on Stitcher and download it to your mobile phone.

Down Range Radio Sponsors:

Ruger Firearms * Liberty Safes * Crimson Trace Laser Grips
Daniel Defense * Double Star

Reference Links:

The Michael Bane Blog

MICHAEL BANE’S CONCEALED CARRY DVD

High Noon (lyrics)

Trail Safe

Colorado Mourns….

The Fog of War – A Lack of Certainty

Dave Arnold – R.I.P.

6 Responses to Down Range Radio #275: Protecting yourself in an unsafe world

1. Ray Jackson

July 24, 2012 at 11:03 pm

KEEP UP THE GREAT JOB, TRYING TO TEACH PEOPLE THE WAY OF THE GUN!!!

2. David Cole

July 25, 2012 at 10:26 am

Michael…please accept my heartfelt condolences at the loss of your friends. The pain in your voice towards the end of the podcast today was evident, and I thank you for sharing. We are all lessened a little when good people leave this world.

Thanks also for the words of wisdom on the Aurora situation. I am a trainer myself, and have been fielding inquiries as to what lessons may be learned, and your comments on this tragedy serve as fine advice to any who wish to remain safe in a dangerous world.

A bad week yes, but still you manage to squeeze some good from it, and I thank you for that. I’ll be advising my friends and students much as you do: keep your head up, and your claws sharp…and then live!

3. Eric Wayte

July 25, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Michael,

I live in Orlando and now when I drive past the Doll House, I’ll chuckle to myself that it was the birthplace of USPSA!

My condolences to you, it was indeed a rough week.

4. MBrun

July 28, 2012 at 12:20 am

Damn.. it sure got dusty in the room at with this podcast… thank you Michael for sharing, sort of needed with just losing one of my brothers. Be well

5. Randy M.

July 28, 2012 at 10:51 pm

MIchael, as a CO resident I too know the pain – and the stigmatism – our beautiful state has been saddled with this week. And as a former Recon Marine, much as I’d like to think I could have made a difference that fateful night, I refuse to claim so. It’s simply too easy to play “Monday Morning QB”. But your rationale is as good as any I’ve heard yet.
    Your even-headed response to the tragedy, however, will go a long way toward answering questions for everyone in the shooting community – and hopefully give some perspective to those outside our community (assuming they’ll listen).
    The emotion shown in talking about your friends was evident – and useful on so many levels. No man is an island Michael, and I hope you know you’re not floating alone this (or any other) week. I did not know either of your friends, yet know I am the poorer for it.
    For Capt. Arnold, I say, “Stand down. You are relieved. Well done Captain!” SEMPER FI

6. CR Cobb

August 1, 2012 at 7:15 am

I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your friends. It reminded me of how important the individuals are in the gun community. You actually do that every week with your stories from your productions and competitions. Thanks for sharing.