Author Topic: Mountain lions in area?  (Read 7071 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
Re: Mountain lions in area?
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
I would think the Florida Panther would be quite common in your area of South GA.  There is nothing to stop the progression north from Florida since they can't probably read a map!    ;D

That was what was so funny to me, too. I even asked a ranger that very question and he said there weren't more than 10 or 20 in north Florida, and they didn't roam away from home.

(you just can't make this stuff up......still chuckling at the map reading cats saying to each other, "We can't go over there, that's Georgia.")

;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Timothy

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2009, 06:51:43 PM »
That was what was so funny to me, too. I even asked a ranger that very question and he said there weren't more than 10 or 20 in north Florida, and they didn't roam away from home.

(you just can't make this stuff up......still chuckling at the map reading cats saying to each other, "We can't go over there, that's Georgia.")

;D

If they only knew that it's one or two degrees cooler in South Georgia, maybe they would move north!  Silly Cats! ;D ;D

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 10:48:15 AM »
I'd love to hunt mountain lion. 8) Worked in a customer's house a few times and he had 2 mountain lion skin rugs on the wall. They were beautiful. I think they're still legal to hunt here in TX, but they may have recently changed it.... I haven't been hunting in so long that I haven't checked up on the laws.
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 868
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 10:56:35 AM »
Minnesota DNR loves to deny their exhistance in the state.  I loved listening to the main office spin (local guys are realistic) on all the reports in our areas over the years.  They got amazingly quiet when confronted with photographs of one wedged under the front axle of a pick up right after filing a very public report that there were no wild or captive, legal or illegal, in our area.

Read the DNR spin on the following story from this morning's paper:

http://www.startribune.com/local/south/59687757.html?elr=KArks:DCiUocOaL_nDaycUiacyKUnciaec8O7EyUr
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 11:15:59 AM »

http://www.startribune.com/local/south/59687757.html?elr=KArks:DCiUocOaL_nDaycUiacyKUnciaec8O7EyUr

"It's quite obviouse that this horse is a little crazy and into self mutilation. We'll have it checked out".....................bang..........  "Oh, no! He must have been depressed too, he just committed suicide".

"Sometimes we have aliens pass through here on their way to Venus, but there are NO mountain lions".
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 01:37:15 AM »

david86440

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2009, 12:04:32 AM »
This is from our local paper today........

Mountain lion sightings in foothills

September 22, 2009 05:33:00 PM
By Ben van der Meer/Appeal-Democrat

Two mountain lion attacks on livestock in recent days killed a spate of animals in the foothills east of Marysville, with one mountain lion still on the loose.

According to the state Department of Fish and Game, separate residents in Oregon House reported mountain lions killed their animals first last Friday and then again Tuesday.

In the first report, a resident said a mountain lion killed a pet goat, said department spokesman Kyle Orr.

A Fish and Game warden and state trappers tracked a 95-pound female mountain lion to about 100 yards from where the goat was killed, trapped the lion in a tree and killed it, Orr said.

That was followed by another report Tuesday of a mountain lion that killed five sheep at a residence on Frenchtown Road. The mountain lion did so sometime over the previous four days, Orr said. Two of the sheep were partially buried, he said, indicating the mountain lion planned to eat the kills eventually.

A trapping crew also pursued that mountain lion and found hair but could not pick up a scent, he said.

Officials don't believe the same mountain lion made both kills because the first lion was found so close to where the goat was killed, Orr said.

Residents in the area should take the normal precautions when there's a report of a mountain lion, he said, such as securing livestock, hiking in groups and being alert to one's surroundings.

"Mountain lions are known to take livestock," he said, though he said there's no noticeable trend so far this year suggesting mountain lions are doing so more than normal. "Generally speaking, mountain lion sightings this time of year tend to increase because people are out more."

Mountain lions are sometimes spotted more frequently when they journey out of their normal range because their food or water is in short supply, he said.

Two years ago, students in Challenge spotted a mountain lion as they rode horses to Yuba Feather School, prompting a school lockdown, though the lion ran from the students.

Because the animals generally avoid people, mountain lion attacks on humans are quite rare in California, with only 14 recorded since 1890, Orr said. Six of those attacks were fatal.

The population of mountain lions in California is estimated at 4,000 to 6,000, he said.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk