Author Topic: Mountain lions in area?  (Read 7044 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Mountain lions in area?
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 08:40:14 PM »
 Me and NH have no limits on Open Carry, in Me. some TOWNS do, but no Game warden will give you any problems.

Jackel

• life member of the American Honketonk bar association
  • Top Forum Member
  • F150 n' a 30-06
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 08:44:25 PM »
more brown things to shoot
you are a redneck when You think "loading the dishwasher" means getting your wife drunk.

You know your a redneck You ever got too drunk to fish.

david86440

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 09:07:22 PM »
Me and NH have no limits on Open Carry, in Me. some TOWNS do, but no Game warden will give you any problems.

The problem with Maine is that too many west coast liberals decided it is a nice place to vacation. And some of them never leave.

Plus all the libs from NH (not you Tom) and MA influence the state.

Real Mainers are a dying breed. My mother is 90 yrs old this year and I'm the youngest at 56 and she finally got her first great grandchild when my 33 yr old son and his wife had a baby this year. The first baby born into our family in 29 years. My other 2 children 29 and 31 have no kids.

Neither of my sisters, both in their 60's have had grandkids, one of my brother-in-laws has just his father left on his side of the family as he was an only child and he and my sister didn't have any kids so when they die that whole family tree is wiped out.

I know it's happening all over ME, My mother had 13 brothers and sisters and she is the last one left. I have one aunt and uncle on my father's side left in their 90's, they had 2 sons and both their wifes have already died. their daughter didn't have children.

I think true Mainers need to be placed on the Endangered Species List.

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »
 It's happening in NH as well, the last 2 places there was only ONE other "Native" that was born and raised here. There were other natives on First shift, but not on second. We are being over whelmed by Ma. Cn. and NY immagrants who bring their city problems and attitudes with them. >:(

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 10:54:54 AM »

Problem is around these parts that most people can't tell the difference between a fox and a dog or a great dane and a goat! We had a report of a horse killed by a mountain lion right here in Uxbridge a few years ago and it turned out to be a pack of feral dogs.  According to the State Wildlife, there has not been a confirmed mountain lion sighting in MA since about 1855...

Bingo!

About ten years ago on a mule deer hunt we were stopped for a game check. The game warden said a donkey was shot,thinking it was a doe mule deer. :o

The State Wildlife Office should make it public if they have evidence of mountain lions in the area.   >:(
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:33:13 AM »

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 01:53:46 PM »
Heard this on the news last week, saw this post, so googled the story.  Chicago police also shot and killed a cougar in Aplir of 2008 that was supposedly someones freed pet.

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/cougar.paw.prints.2.1190022.html

Sep 17, 2009 10:10 am US/Central Suspected Cougar Prints Found In Wheaton
Paw Prints Found In Forest PreserveWHEATON, Ill. (STNG) ―  Click to enlarge1 of 1
(File Photo)
AP
 Results of an examination were inconclusive, but wildlife experts have determined paw prints found in a west suburban creek bed are consistent with a large cat — possibly a medium-sized cougar, police said Thursday.

Wheaton police evidence technicians successfully lifted paw print impressions from a creek bed where the cat was seen Tuesday, according to police. A resident reported seeing a large, black or dark-colored cat in the area.

The castings were taken to Brookfield Zoo, where several experts examined the castings and photographs of the paw prints. Results of the examination, however, were inconclusive, according to a release from police.

The mammal curator ruled out the print being from a canine or fox, saying it was consistent with a large cat, possibly a medium-sized cougar or other exotic cat, the release said.

Tuesday's sighting followed a report last week by a jogger who said she saw a cat bigger than her 60-pound dog in Northside Park, a quarter-mile away. No prints were found there.

Full-grown cougars, which usually weigh more than 100 pounds, leave much larger prints, possibly 5 to to 6 inches across, said Mike Brown, lead keeper for carnivores at Brookfield Zoo. "These weren't even close," he said. The tracks also appeared to be too shallow, he said. "These prints could have been from almost anything."

Wheaton police continue to patrol the area and residents are reminded to supervise children and pets, and not to leave pet food outside.

The DuPage County Forest Preserve police are patrolling the preserves, including Lincoln Marsh. A motorist also reported seeing a large cat on Monday in a preserve near the Warrenville-Naperville border.

In Michigan, officially according to the DNR there are no cougars.   A few years back though they did post cougar warning signs in the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore and have a cougar safety page on their websight.
http://www.nps.gov/slbe/planyourvisit/cougarsafety.htm

Also a few years ago there were reported cougar sightings in Southwest Michigan and a horse was killed supposedly by a cougar.  The local animal control agency head had the horses body exumed and examined and determined it was killed by a cougar which is at odds with the DNR report of the incident.  Shortly after that incident when comming home from work late one night I saw what looked like a dead cougar on the shoulder of the freeway.  I was too far past it to stop and look closer.  I looked for it the next day and could not find it.  In this area they let the roadkill rot on the side of the road, so I thought it was odd that I didn't find anything.
The area where I deer hunt in Michigan's upper pinnsula (UP) is very remote and wild.  Opening day a few years ago there had been a light dusting of snow that had collected in a few low spots along the trail and road and much of it was melting.  I saw one large cat track in one of these scattered snow pockets.  I searched in an expanding circle out from that one trackand could find no others.  I don't know if it was a cougar or not, but it was quite large.  In that area wher we hunt we have seen wolves, bear, moose, deer, pine martins, eagles and msny other wild critters.

Along another note the bear population has been growing and expanding in Michigan.  Bear sightings have steadily been found futher south every year recently, including the area around Jackson, Michigan, which is quite far South.  Bears may have been sighted in Allegan County in Southwest Michigan which is getting close to my area.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

Badgersmilk

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 02:35:37 PM »
I have friends who live in western Maryland that have had DNR admit to releasing mountain lions in the area to control animal population as well. 

I'm OK with it...  Just DONT use up all your ammo before leaving the woods!  Out of ammo and dragging a deer would be a bad time to meet Mr. Kitty!

Do big cats taste as good as chicken?

tombogan03884

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 06:15:02 PM »
I have friends who live in western Maryland that have had DNR admit to releasing mountain lions in the area to control animal population as well.  

I'm OK with it...  Just DONT use up all your ammo before leaving the woods!  Out of ammo and dragging a deer would be a bad time to meet Mr. Kitty!

Do big cats taste as good as chicken?

According to historical accounts the Mountain Men preferred Cougar meat to anything else.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2009, 06:28:25 PM »
DNR has always said we didn't have panthers (mountain lions, cougars, pumas or whatever you may call them in your area).
Well, they've been seen in the woods along the creek 500 yards behind my place off and on for decades. My Great Grandmother warned us about them and so did my Grandmother. My wife and I saw one a few years ago while riding the ATV. My son's girlfriend's father captured a photo of one on his game trail camera this past week on the trail my son has been using to bow hunt (big cat, too!) about 40 miles from us.

In short, don't always believe the DNR.

They also said there were no black bears in south Georgia in a TV interview ....... a week later (I sh!t you not) a black bear was hit by a car two counties away from where the interview took place. A little while after that, one had to be captured by DNR Rangers in a trash dumpster at a local Cracker Barrel restaurant in my town.

I still chuckle about that one.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Timothy

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2009, 06:37:10 PM »
DNR has always said we didn't have panthers (mountain lions, cougars, pumas or whatever you may call them in your area).
Well, they've been seen in the woods along the creek 500 yards behind my place off and on for decades. My Great Grandmother warned us about them and so did my Grandmother. My wife and I saw one a few years ago while riding the ATV. My son's girlfriend's father captured a photo of one on his game trail camera this past week on the trail my son has been using to bow hunt (big cat, too!) about 40 miles from us.

In short, don't always believe the DNR.

I would think the Florida Panther would be quite common in your area of South GA.  There is nothing to stop the progression north from Florida since they can't probably read a map!    ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk