Author Topic: Fall gun sale at Dick's Sporting goods  (Read 13210 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Fall gun sale at Dick's Sporting goods
« on: September 14, 2009, 08:38:33 PM »
Although I had sworn them off, the flyer ("tab", I think is the jargon) in the Sunday paper caught my eye.  They're running the in-store hunting specials.  The prices "might" be worth checking out, if those are the models you're looking for.

They have a Savage thumb-hold .22lr, BUT it's not clear whether it is the Classic or the BVT.   I have the Classic and would like to sell it and get the BVT (I want the shorter/stouter barrel of the later).

Of course the trouble (or advantage depending on your view) is many of these are "packaged" with scopes.   I wish, without going to the store, they'd give more model/feature info.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Jackel

• life member of the American Honketonk bar association
  • Top Forum Member
  • F150 n' a 30-06
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Fall gun sale at Dick's Sporting goods
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 08:42:26 PM »
dicks, in my eyes has always been hunting goods for those who have no clue what they are doing. it is for that 40 something guy that thinks he wants to be a hunter and goes and buys all that crap. i tried to get my son fitted out for a bow there because the sportsmans center was getting refurbished and the guy had no clue what he was doing, i could have done a better job myself.
you are a redneck when You think "loading the dishwasher" means getting your wife drunk.

You know your a redneck You ever got too drunk to fish.

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 09:17:41 PM »
I got my Remington Model 7 there a a number of years back.  It had been advertized at a good price.  As I had a bout a 45 minute drive to get ther I called ahead to make sure they had it.  When I got there they did not have one and had not had one.  They got me one from another store and sweetened the deal for my trouble.

Having said that, I'm still waiting with raincheck in hand for some Remington .223.  I have been lied to numerous times about it and they have never called me as they assured me several times that they would.  I need to mentione that this is a differant Dick's.  I have found that at this one, most of the people don't know what they are talking about although there is at least one very knowledgeable person in the gun department.

Dick's also does not sell handguns and doesn't seem to like black rifles.  Early last fall they did have a Remington R15 and a pistol grip shotgun.  The knowledgable person in the gun department said he was surprised that they had those type of firearms.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 03:05:15 PM »
The Bass Pro Shop, here in Ft. Laud, does sell handguns, but are similar to Dick's, on knowledgeable staff. They still have lots of any shotgun caliber shells by the case, but never any handgun ammo, it comes, and is scoffed up. Plenty of 7mm and .243's though. I have better luck at my local range who even has .380's. Although .357 is tightening up a bit...

The prices at BPS, have gone up across the board, my FN9 was $459.00 November 08. It's now advertised at $529.00 same pistol.
Their selection is huge and they carry some good stuff, they even have a small shooting range above the arcade...

The Dick's in Wilmington, NC, was fine, mostly hunting shotguns and rifles, lots of bowhunting and fishing stuff. Golf stuff etc,...

Usually just bought cleaning pads, and some 12g when they had a sale... You can never have too much Double 00 Buck.

It's the urban warrior wannabe shop, but it does have some good deals.

I prefer the old time gun shop in Iredell County,NC, where the owner Henry, still smoked behind the counter, since 1962, even with cans of Black Powder around, Rebel Flag on the wall, wood floors, and in the back had the "good stuff".  No prices on anything as it was all negotiable; especially if he knew you, or a member of your family... ::)

Back when a Norinco SKS in the crate, covered with cosmoline was $99.00 cash... :o I should've gotten two of those bastards,..... :P

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 05:50:33 PM »
Alf, do they have a website you can check out?

JAT

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:43:42 PM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 06:03:13 PM »
Alf, do they have a website you can check out?

JAT

Richard

No. I went looking to see if any more information was available on-line, but couldn't find it.  And since they don't offer guns on-line you evidently can't look up any info on of them anyway.   I guess if you didn't get a tab in Sunday's paper you'll have to stop by.

here's a few of the offerings, though it's hard to tell exactly what model you're getting in some cases.

10/22 $199.98
Savage .22lr thumbhole stock with scope (not sure what model scope) $299.98. 
Marling 30/30 w/ 3-9x40 scope (guessing a model 335) $329.98 after rebate.
Savage 512 Gold Wing o/u 12ga $499.98

I'm not a fan of Dick's, but if they want to give away something, I might be obliged to help out.
Will work for ammo

Timothy

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 06:12:12 PM »
Alf,

I was at Dicks the other day.  The thumbhole Mark II they had was a BTV style with scope.  Don't recall the asking price or the type/model of scope.  Sorry!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 06:14:16 PM »
FOUND IT ON-LINE.

GO to the bottom of their home page: http://dickssportinggoods.com  and click on "Weekly Circular".

I think this link will take you straight there:  http://dickssportinggoods.shoplocal.com/DSG/default.aspx?action=nuep&

Will work for ammo

Harmony Hermit

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 06:30:29 PM »
I live close to the original Dick's in Binghamton NY. I was shopping for sweats one day when the manager told a customer in the checkout line in front of me that she only sold guns because the "Corporate" required it. She apparently did not approve of the gun section that was separated from the rest of the store in a separate room in the back of the store.

A gentleman on another gun board worked behind the gun counter in another Dick's in a different state. He refers to the store as "Dick's, the aptly named sporting goods store".

YMMV

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 06:44:07 AM »
No love lost for Dick's Sporting Goods.

But if they need help with loss leaders, I'm willing to oblige.
Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk