Author Topic: Scopes  (Read 2541 times)

Timothy

Scopes
« on: September 15, 2009, 06:44:43 PM »
Ok guys, I have NO experience with scopes but know enough about optics to understand some of the numbers.  Please explain, in simple terms, what the numbers mean when identifying the magnification for a specific scope.  I've seen a few different ways but don't know what number is the magnifier, field of view, etc....

Help, anyone?

Thanks in advance... ;)

Wheelgun Dunn

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Scopes
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 06:57:36 PM »
The first number(s) indicate the magnification power of the scope, the second number indicates the diameter of the objective part of the lens (that is the opposite end from where you look through, that is known as the ocular)e.g.  A 3-9 X 40mm is a scope with a variable magnification that can be adjusted as low as three times magnification to as high as nine times magnification.  There are also fixed scopes such as 4x42mm.  The second number is the diameter of the objective lens which is important because the larger that is the more light it gathers and allows through to your eye letting you shoot in lower light conditions.  Coatings are important as they improve the light transmission and quality of the scope.  Many people (like me) prefer fixed power scopes such as the aforementioned 4x42mm because there are fewer lenses in the body of the scope allowing better light transmission in lesser quality scopes.  Additionally, you always have one sight picture which I believe affords more consistent shooting.  IMHO!

Hope this helps!

Wheelgun

Timothy

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 07:11:08 PM »
Thanks WG...understood every word....

Then, based on fixed power plinking out to maybe 200 yards, a fixed 4x32 or 40mm would suffice for .22, .223 and other small bore plinking and hunting.  If I were to go to longer distances, a variable power scope might be the alternative.  I believe in keeping things simple myself so fixed power would probably be the way I would go.  Considering I can hit something at 50-100 yards with iron sights now, I feel confident a 4X scope would suffice for me.  I'm not concerned for MOA, just being able to hit within my own capabilities.

Wheelgun Dunn

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 07:24:28 PM »
Yep.  Fixed 4X is my favorite I also like 6X but use 10X on all my longer range guns.  I know a lot of folks like variable power to be able to turn it down for a wide field of view when looking for game, and higher power to take a good clean shot but a fixed four gives you the same view all the time and is faster.  Also they are cheaper.  I use Weaver K4 scopes ($139.00 at Midway) on my .17s, .22s, etc. And I have a fixed 10X Bushnell on my .204 Ruger and my .22-250.  Good luck!

Wheelgun   

Timothy

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 07:38:26 PM »
If I understand this, a 4X scope is going to make anything at 200 yards appear to be as though it's 50 yards away.  I can hit a two inch group at 50 yards with a decent rifle with iron sights so I should be able to hold two inches at 200 with a 4X scope, in theory!  I have no use for longer ranges as I can't hunt with a rifle in MA.  I can use a rifled barrel in a slug gun but a red dot or other fixed optic is all I would need in that case.

Thank again Wheelgun!

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:31:19 AM »

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 07:40:37 PM »
Timothy, Here is a good primer on scopes.  Probably more than you want to know.  If you go to the home page from this sight there is a lot of information available for free and if you want you can even join for a fee and get even more.  This scope section is free.  i found it helpful:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/optical_sights.htm

What I have generaly heard about scopes is that you get what you pay for.  Higher magnification also magnifies any movement of the crosshairs more than a lower magnification.  
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

Timothy

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 07:55:32 PM »
Thanks Wolfe, great article! 

Looks like Wheelguns choice of Weaver K4 Scopes are well founded and a great choice for my needs!

Jackel

• life member of the American Honketonk bar association
  • Top Forum Member
  • F150 n' a 30-06
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 08:04:36 PM »
huh, thanks guys. i didnt know what it meant and presumed that it was a case of bigger the better. good topic  ;D
you are a redneck when You think "loading the dishwasher" means getting your wife drunk.

You know your a redneck You ever got too drunk to fish.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 12:09:41 AM »
Timothy I got to ask what you want the thing for? I presume target shooting. Here you can get by with a cheaper scope as light gathering and weaher proofing are not so critical. Personally, I prefer a 3x9 variable for a hunting scope as I like the versatility and you don't lose that much with the different lenses. My personal favs for a mid range scope are the B@L, now Bushnell elite series, Nikon, Burris and Weaver make some nice glass as well that is still affordable. I really would reccomend Ebay as they do have some sweet deals from time to time
FQ13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk