Author Topic: new 22lr  (Read 16312 times)

C.O.T.U.S.

• Truckie at heart
  • Forum Member
  • To serve and recline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
new 22lr
« on: September 10, 2009, 10:11:40 PM »
Questions for those in the know.

I have been lookin at 22 lr rifles for an appleseed shoot next spring.  This rifle would be for my wife/son.  I know that the 10/22 has all the after market add-ons in the world.  However I just want a rfile that will shoot well out of the box.  Lookin around, I have found three other possibilities.

Rem. 597
Marlin 795
Savage 64

Does anyone have any good/bad experience with these particular rifles?

Thanks for the help

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
Re: new 22lr
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 08:49:47 AM »
For the money the Savage is a great gun.

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=8758.0
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 09:39:06 AM »
I really love my Rem 597. It is a semi auto however, so you will not get as small of a group as you will with a bolt gun (there will almost always be one flier). It is reliable as all get out, and I would put it right up there with any other .22 at that price point for accuracy and dependability (with any ammo). It took a good long while before I was able to out shoot the gun..... a trigger upgrade will remedy that if you want to use it for some serious competition. I would highly recommend it for what you are looking for..... you might also want to look into tracking down a used one..... prices are much lower for these in the used market.

More here:
http://www.downrange.tv/reviews/showproduct.php/product/13/cat/12
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

C.O.T.U.S.

• Truckie at heart
  • Forum Member
  • To serve and recline
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 03:28:07 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.

Hard to decide between the two.  Maybe I'll just get both!! ;D

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 03:51:20 PM »
There are great .22's around every corner and at every price point. The Marlin 39 may be one of the best and will become a family heirloom. My Remington 572 with curly maple stock is probably pretty close.

At the lower price points, the choices that you posted are all fine rifles. With the Savage and Marlin, I prefer the similar bolt guns, but kids get a kick out of semis, as we all do sometimes.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:35:08 AM »

Adkins

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 10:29:29 PM »
The Remington 597 was my first rifle i ever used. it still shoots great for me. for the price id say get the 597 but what ever works for you

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
I'm partial to bolt action Marlins...you can get a 2 pound or so trigger for $70 and put it in yourself.  However...I have got to say that my CZ's are really, really sweet. 

But...have you considered one of the 17's...I highly recommend them over 22's for everything but day-to-day blasting with cheap ammo. 

You  may want to scoot over to www.rimfirecentral.com for a bit....
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 01:01:24 AM »
For an appleseed shoot I'd get the Ruger 10-22 and put the tech sights on it.

http://www.tech-sights.com/

Like Rastus said check out http://rimfirecentral.com/ for everything rim fire.  Lots of good info there. Click on forums upper right corner.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 02:35:44 AM »
Marlin has a rebate right now.

http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/1249633687j5ssthqafsb

I didn't even realize that they were a Remington company.

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 11:27:04 AM »
Remington bought Marlin a couple years ago when Cerberus, (Who had recently bought Remington,) were on their gun company buying spree.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk