Author Topic: Slide Glide test  (Read 19447 times)

JdePietro

• M14 Patterned Protagonist
  • Top Forum Member
  • "Neither Spare nor Dispose"
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Slide Glide test
« on: August 09, 2009, 10:33:46 PM »
Mods please feel free to move as you may, I wasn't 100% sure where this belonged.

First my disclaimer; I am not a scientist, just a regular Joe and these test are far from scientifically performed. I am not spokesperson, salesmen, or owner of the company that produces the product I tested. I can assure you I have not been compensated in anyway for the test I performed nor have I mislead or changed the results. I do this out of my enjoyment for firearms and quest to find only the best products to ensure my firearms are around at least as long as I am.

Again the results of the test are unadulterated and raw, I am not well versed in this area and so there are many things I could have done better, but here are the facts.

I have been an advocate of Brian Eno's Slide Glide since I first got a sample some months ago. I found its superior lubrication properties to far exceed the standard in grease for firearms. One of the many reoccuring statements about using grease on firearms was the want for the product to have some sort of marine resistance. No not US Marine devil dog, nobody can resist their will, no I mean aquatic enviroments. Humidity, sweat, moisture, all the nasty oxidizing agents that our precious firearms have at some point come into contact with. While nothing is marine proof, some products offer at least some level of resistance and other come down right close to the latter.

On July 31st 2009 the following took place.

Using what I had at hand, I came up with a test to see just how much protection Slide Glide offered. I used the following items for my test.

3 used medicine bottles, washed out with soap and hot water.

3 teaspoons of Sea Salt.

3 one inch long steel nails

Regular non filtered tap water. [SIZE="2"](After thinking about it for a bit I should have measured out the water to gain more consistant results but meh I said I was not scientist.)[/SIZE]

I took each bottle and labeled it with the start date and with the viscosity I would place in the bottle. I placed one teaspoon of sea salt in each bottle and filled it 3/4 of the way full of tap water and shook up the mixture to create a salt water like enviroment.

I then dipped the head of the nail in the coinciding viscosity of slide glide and placed the nail head first into the bottle marked as such.

It was my intention to have the nails sit in the bottles for 7 days, however work and life interupted this and so I acutally finished up the test on August 9th 2009 giving the test 10 full days of exposure.

It was not my intent to see just how long the slide glide could last but just to prove it could indeed withstand some exposure to water.

I will let the picture do the rest of the talking.

This was truly amazing, the heavy formula still was reddish and somewhat transparent.

This is the Lite formula and you can see it still has it stringy characteristics that make Slide Glide such a great lubricant. The Heavy formula was even better!

Product can be purchased here http://www.brianenos.com/store/slide-glide.html
How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.
-Henry David Thoreau

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
Re: Slide Glide test
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 06:10:40 AM »
Interesting test, JP, and especially interesting results - nails shiny and bright as if new.

I thought we had another thread on here about Slide-Glide but 2 quick searches didn't locate it. It is good stuff I hear, I am setting up to order some myself.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

JdePietro

• M14 Patterned Protagonist
  • Top Forum Member
  • "Neither Spare nor Dispose"
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 07:22:42 AM »
Interesting test, JP, and especially interesting results - nails shiny and bright as if new.

I thought we had another thread on here about Slide-Glide but 2 quick searches didn't locate it. It is good stuff I hear, I am setting up to order some myself.

This was my own test on the claims of Slide Glides lubricity as well as others. I really don't think you will be dissapointed, too many people avoid oil because the internet tells them to. Others have realized that oil is good but grease is better and like it or not firearms get dirty.

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=7078.0
How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.
-Henry David Thoreau

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 08:13:11 AM »
You claim to be an "average Joe". That is not true as you obviously put a lot more thought into this stuff than most of us.
Posts like yours help this site be the resource that it has become.

bbbean

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 08:50:55 AM »
FWIW, in addition to being a great way to keep the heads of nails from rusting, my guns run great with Slide Glide. I started using it about a year ago, and have put several thousand rounds each through my 1911 and my limited gun. In addition to seeing no wear to speak of, the Slide Glide sticks around you wipe it off. I've gone thousands of rounds between cleaning, and when I disassemble, all the surfaces are still slick. The gun really does seem to run smoother with slide glide than it ever did with oil.
--
Barry Bean
Fastest of the slow shooters, best of the bad shots

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:10:09 AM »

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 07:06:13 PM »
Gun show this weekend here, I'll keep that in mind, Some pretty big vendors at the show. If they don;t have it, I'll try it via website.

Thank you
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 07:49:49 PM »
bbbean, check out the thread that he linked to, he and M25 have more good info there, although you pretty much summed it up. The stuff works .
http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=7078.0
Here's another thread that talks about Lubes
http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=2559.30
That is where I found the following link on the science of it
http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

cookie62

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 10:07:30 PM »
Pretty good test! Sold me on it ;D
A bird in the hand is worth..Well, about a box of shells!
Yes, I'm bitter and cling to guns and religion..

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 11:46:37 PM »
Good test and good info.

Thanks JdePietro.
“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

bbbean

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 08:20:42 AM »
I forgot to add one caveat - pay attention to the viscosity and temp. If you use the Slide Glide Heavy on a tight gun in cold weather, it WILL slow the gun down enough to misfeed. That said, I've use the standard viscosity on my tight limited gun in temps ranging from high 20s through 105 or so with no problems. The light viscosity ran my gun in the high teens (just testing - I don't ordinarily shoot when its that cold). YMMV 
--
Barry Bean
Fastest of the slow shooters, best of the bad shots

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk