Author Topic: A little news on a coming AR glut....  (Read 9641 times)

fullautovalmet76

A little news on a coming AR glut....
« on: July 04, 2009, 08:08:53 PM »
Food for thought:

At the IDPA shoot today, I spoke to a manager of a local gun shop about the AR market and what he told me about the state of the market was enlightening.

He told me his store is sitting on at least 100 (new) AR rifles and another, larger store in our area, is sitting on even more. He told me that in the next few weeks or months I should start seeing significant discounts on good quality ARs. He likened the situation to the housing bubble. He told me if I was holding off on purchasing any new ARs that the near future holds good promise.

If his store is typical, and I think it is typical of the tactical-focused shop, I believe this same situation may be playing out all over the country. I think I would keep a sharp eye out for deals in the coming weeks.

-FA

Walkeraviator

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A little news on a coming AR glut....
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 09:07:21 PM »
Yes price is about to come down in my opinion.  I also think that when teh dust settles, the doomsday buyers will come to their senses, and the used gun market will flood with quality firearms at great prices...

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 09:20:32 PM »
I can guarantee the price will come down. How do I know? I just bought one. This is the surest sign that th market will turn. I expect to see them half of what I paid in a year. When that happens, send me a box of ammo.
FQ13

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 09:32:57 PM »
Gosh I hope we get some price reduction without sending the people who build them home. 

I'd sure like to get an AR-10....but at about 300-500 less than the going rate.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 09:35:35 PM »
I can guarantee the price will come down. How do I know? I just bought one. This is the surest sign that th market will turn. I expect to see them half of what I paid in a year. When that happens, send me a box of ammo.
FQ13

Darn FQ, I wanted to be the one to point out the timing to you, now that you have YOURS they are going to start paying US to take them.  ;D  Buy a bunch of ammo now, I need some bargains  ;D

Actually you didn't do badly even by pre B O standards.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:28:59 AM »

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 11:10:14 PM »
I just hope the market doesn't sink and people end up out of work and companies go under.
I'm waiting on an order from Model 1 sales.  I called this week and they are still working on shipping orders from January.  They are now getting out about 2 days worth of orders for every day they work.  When I called in April because I had to give then a differant CC number they were still workink on December's orders.

I know that barrels are still a holdup for some companies.  For what ever reason 20" barrels for some companies are a problem.  I wonder if that may be to everyone concentrating on M-4 style and carbine barrels.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 07:02:00 AM »
Yes price is about to come down in my opinion.  I also think that when teh dust settles, the doomsday buyers will come to their senses, and the used gun market will flood with quality firearms at great prices...

Mentioned on previous posts also.

Tough economic times continue for many. AR's bought last year for less than they can sell them for now, will put "slightly" used firearms of all types on the market. NIB retailers will have to adjust their costs to reflect that.

Why buy a $1200 AR, when another dealer has 5 slightly used ones, for $800. That's a better market (free, BTW), supply and demand dictates price.

The other side of the coin is AMMO AVAILABILITY!!!
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 08:00:08 AM »
On ammo availability:
In my area I'm starting to see signs the supply is coming back up, but it is no where near what it was before the election. My guesstimate puts full supply at year's end.

As Quaker and other pointed out about ammo availability influencing sales, I wonder how much it will matter once supply is restored to a level that should stimulate sales. My hunch is that it will help some but not nearly enough to work the excess inventory in dealer stocks.

Michael Bane,
Do you think you can put you ear to the ground and interview major distributors around the country to get their take?

-FA

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 08:07:15 AM »
On ammo availability:
In my area I'm starting to see signs the supply is coming back up, but it is no where near what it was before the election. My guesstimate puts full supply at year's end.

Michael Bane,
Do you think you can put you ear to the ground and interview major distributors around the country to get their take?

-FA

I made a pass on 3 boxes of 100 of Federal 55 grain HP yesterday at Wally's Place...it lists for $41.34 a box.  I had just spent $200+ partially replacing ammo the family used training at USSA the other day, or else I would have grabbed it.

MB had some information in a recent podcast (back three?) that was grim for the ammo availability...something like if the actions overseas ended today it would take 3 to 5 years just to get the military's supplies back to stocking levels....
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 08:20:22 AM »
I stopped by the local Mom&Pop gun shop on Thursday, and they had a rack FULL of ARs and even AKs and SKS. Prices were still so-so. They also had a bunch of ammo, not lots, but a good supply, and a lot of brands I've never heard of before.

Wally World is still devoid of anything other than hunting or oddball calibers.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk