Author Topic: EMP & Electronic Gun Safe Locks  (Read 27092 times)

tombogan03884

Re: EMP & Electronic Gun Safe Locks
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 05:23:14 PM »
Like Badger, mine has a keyed lock in conjunction with the battery powered lock.
And, like he pointed out, it may be possible to jump out the circuit if it ain't fried.......used to do it all the time at work with interlock solenoids.

Thats the problem with EMP, the whole system will be fried. Stick with mechanical.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 05:35:36 PM »
Hell. I work in the "electrical/electronics" field, and would NEVER rely solely on them for navigation on land or water, gun safes, or communication.

Many, many so called captains have no clue how to adhere to celestial navigation, compass, wrist watch and chart if the SHTF on their vessel.

I have studied EMP's and the effect they would have. 90 to 95% maybe even 98% would be clueless as how to proceed.

My grandfather taught me morse code from his Bluejackets Manual when I was a kid, I'm rusty for sure, but people today just don't want to learn such things anymore....

_ .... ._ _ ... _ _ _ _ _ ._ _..

(That's too bad)

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 05:36:38 PM »
if there is a emp, your already boned...

I don't like eletric locks... damn batterys.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 05:43:39 PM »
Hell. I work in the "electrical/electronics" field, and would NEVER rely solely on them for navigation on land or water, gun safes, or communication.

Many, many so called captains have no clue how to adhere to celestial navigation, compass, wrist watch and chart if the SHTF on their vessel.

I have studied EMP's and the effect they would have. 90 to 95% maybe even 98% would be clueless as how to proceed.

My grandfather taught me morse code from his Bluejackets Manual when I was a kid, I'm rusty for sure, but people today just don't want to learn such things anymore....

_ .... ._ _ ... _ _ _ _ _ ._ _..

(That's too bad)

Do you, or any of you clients have need for a really nice (in the box) gold plated (to insure against corrosion, not for good looks) sextant? It was my stepfather's, who was a navigator in sailboat races. I don't want to sell it, its just that he would want it to be used, not gathering dust.
FQ13

twyacht

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 06:03:12 PM »
Do you, or any of you clients have need for a rally nice (in the box) gold plated (to einsure against corrosion, not for good looks) saextant? It wasmy stepfather's, who was a navigator in sailboat races. I don't want to sell it, its just that he would want it to be used, not gathering dust.

Man a sextant is a work of art for those who can use it. Some of the nimrods I work with probably couldn't spell it. I know blow boaters (some) can still use them.

I'll poke around, but if it was me, IMHO, I would keep it.  The Davis Quadrant, and the alidade, a watch and a chart, worked for Magellan and those that can use it. Just need the Sun, Moon, and my Nautical Almanac.

I can get really, really close with one, missed Eleuthera by 3/4 mile with one back in the day, but it was a clear day and I could see the damn island when we got close, to get to the harbor.

How those mariners used them to navigate shoals, reefs, foul weather, fog, etc,... was/is amazing.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:14:49 AM »

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 07:09:21 PM »
Heck of a lot more boat wrecks back then, wouldn't ya say?  ;)
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

twyacht

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 07:13:32 PM »
Heck of a lot more boat wrecks back then, wouldn't ya say?  ;)

Absolutely, the wind on an otherwise no motor vessel, was another variable that had to be considered.

Wind blowing one way, current and tide going the other, and sailors trying to split the difference.

Testicular fortitude.
Col. Jeff Cooper.

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 07:48:01 PM »
EMP or something similar happens all the time.  Lightning.  In the last couple of days on two occassions lightning has shut off my TV and computer.  It was not a power bump.  The lights didn't flicker and other electronics were not affected. 

A place I use to work relied upon modems for remote monitoring.  About two days after we would have a severe electrical storm move through the modems would fail and need to be reprogrammed.  An electronics and tech geek I know told me that lightning causes far more damage to electronics that people realize.  Fail, many times, happens later and people don't associate the failure with the lightnig that happened a few days or weeks before.

I wish more products was available that didn't rely on electronics or batteries.  I have been having a heck of a time trying to find a wind up backup alarm clock locally.  Everything takes batteries. 
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 08:05:49 PM »
Do you, or any of you clients have need for a rally nice (in the box) gold plated (to einsure against corrosion, not for good looks) saextant? It wasmy stepfather's, who was a navigator in sailboat races. I don't want to sell it, its just that he would want it to be used, not gathering dust.

Man a sextant is a work of art for those who can use it. Some of the nimrods I work with probably couldn't spell it. I know blow boaters (some) can still use them.

I'll poke around, but if it was me, IMHO, I would keep it.  The Davis Quadrant, and the alidade, a watch and a chart, worked for Magellan and those that can use it. Just need the Sun, Moon, and my Nautical Almanac.

I can get really, really close with one, missed Eleuthera by 3/4 mile with one back in the day, but it was a clear day and I could see the damn island when we got close, to get to the harbor.

How those mariners used them to navigate shoals, reefs, foul weather, fog, etc,... was/is amazing.

Exactly. I kept meaning to ask him (my step father) to teach me his navigation skills, because even though I'm a back country fly fisherman rather than a sailor, you never know when that stuff will come in handy. But one thing always led to another, and we were always busy, and all that wisdom that was mine for the asking died with him. I apologize for getting a bit maudlin, but its Father's Day, and I'm allowed to indulge. As I said, I don't know how to use it, as much as I wish I did. I do know that he had the same attitude towards his nav gear as I do towards my shotguns and fly rods. If you don't use it, why own it? I would like his to sextant to find a good home.
FQ13

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 08:19:44 PM »
Exactly. I kept meaning to ask him (my step father) to teach me his navigation skills, because even though I'm a back country fly fisherman rather than a sailor, you never know when that stuff will come in handy. But one thing always led to another, and we were always busy, and all that wisdom that was mine for the asking died with him. I apologize for getting a bit maudlin, but its Father's Day, and I'm allowed to indulge. As I said, I don't know how to use it, as much as I wish I did. I do know that he had the same attitude towards his nav gear as I do towards my shotguns and fly rods. If you don't use it, why own it? I would like his to sextant to find a good home.
FQ13

FQ, why not learn how to use it and use as an honor your stepfather?
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk