Author Topic: TRW M14/M1A receivers  (Read 10579 times)

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
TRW M14/M1A receivers
« on: May 29, 2009, 10:41:12 PM »
Does anyone here know if there were ever any civlian legal semiautomatic only M14/M1A TRW receivers on the market?  I always understood that the TRW recievers were not released to the public and many of them were destroyed by cutting.  I think there may have been a semiautomatic only TRW receiver made for a military National Match rifle at one time.  I happened to see what I thought was a M1A for sale at a gun show awhile ago.  The older gentleman kept saying it was an M-14 and I thought he meant M1A then I saw it was a TRW receiver.  He said it was semiauto only and something about it not having a bump which I think makes it only capable of being semi auto, but I know almost nothing about these rifles.  It did have a match barrel on it.  The price was reasonable, but I wasn't sure that the rifle was legitimant as far as the receiver being legal.  I thought it might be a reweld or maybe a stolen receiver from the military.  I enjoy my firearms right too much to take a chance on losing themso I passed on it.  I don't think the that older gentleman that had the rifle realy knew what he had as he inherited it from a relative.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

long762range

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: TRW M14/M1A receivers
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 11:00:21 PM »
According to Lee Emerson in M14 Rifle History and Development, TRW did manufacture 4,874 M14 NM rifles which were incapable of select fire.  These were therefore legal for civilian ownership.
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous.  If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 01:35:05 AM »
According to Lee Emerson in M14 Rifle History and Development, TRW did manufacture 4,874 M14 NM rifles which were incapable of select fire.  These were therefore legal for civilian ownership.

Thanks long range.  Do you know if these were ever sold to the public or were these just for the military?  I haven't found any info that these were ever released to the public.  I know there have been rewelds that have shown up and there seems to be some contraversy as whether or not those are legal receivers.  I have heard that some rewelds used the TRW marked part of the receiver and perhaps part of an inferior receiver to complete the whole receiver and pass it off as a genuine TRW receiver.   
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

Ken P.

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 11:11:10 AM »
Blackwolf I to have a chance to buy a TRW M 14 match rifle. This morning I called ATF about the TRW M 14 and he told me as long as it was born a semi auto only it is legal to buy. I do know that 10.000 Match Rifles Semi only were made by TRW. Like the agent told me we may have made a great find. Take care

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 04:05:50 PM »
Black Wolf, I personally would not worry too much, especially if the receiver does not have the selector cut out, my old M1a does, with the matching M14 stock, but the trigger group won't support the selector if I had one. Trw makes excellent parts for the M1a, that is a plus.As I have gotten older, the match M1a's with the heavier barrel, don't hold as much charisma, my rack grade shoots great and is a lot lighter, although I did do the national match sight upgrade.

Hope you and your family are doing well, call me when you can.     
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:30:51 AM »

Combat Diver

• De Oppresso Liber
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 11:04:44 AM »
I would love to get my hands on another TRW M14 National Match.  Carried one in Iraq in 04' and later used the same rifle at the All Army Matches in 06' out to 1000yds with irons. (hit my target too, ;D).  Here's couple of pics of it and me and my son together in Baghdad.

CD
Iraq: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09,15 & 16' Afghanistan: 09,10,11,14 & 17'

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk