Author Topic: Left handed mag release on 1911  (Read 6910 times)

Boudreaux

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Left handed mag release on 1911
« on: February 21, 2009, 10:40:49 PM »
Can you convert to a left handed mag release? How hard is it? Gunsmith needed or not?
Thanks Guys

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Left handed mag release on 1911
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 01:59:28 PM »
Yes, except it is advertised as ambi.  Try Smith and Alexander.  Never tried one but haven't heard anything bad about them.  You might also try dropping your mag by using your left index finger to hit the mag-release.

FWIW

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 02:04:30 PM »
You might just want to try being right handed like the good Lord intended  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Jim Urban

• Top Forum Member
  • Stay Frosty-Stay Safe
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 02:27:36 PM »

You might just want to try being right handed like the good Lord intended  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Actually...

The Good Lord made a few PERFECT people; The rest he made right handed.
I myself am blessed with perfection and great humility which helps when dealing with the great unwashed right handed masses. ;D
S&W 340PD....I Won't Leave Home Without It.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 03:01:26 PM »
Actually...

The Good Lord made a few PERFECT people; The rest he made right handed.

Exhibit A: BHO is also left handed.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:51:04 AM »

Boudreaux

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 05:43:28 PM »
The good lord did make me a righty, just gave me small hands and cant reach the mag release with out turning the gun sideways in my hand. So im looking to use my right middle finger to push the mag release on the left side. One reason I love my XD.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 05:44:01 PM »
As a "southpaw", I have been adapting to pistols, spiral notebooks, some cooking implements, etc,...

I would love to have the extra $$$ to convert my 1911's mag release over. But as previously posted, practice had made me pretty quick with the left index finger.

On my M+P and FN9, a ball point pen and 30 seconds took care of that. Except for the S&W Sigma's which have a specific grip "only for righties", I adapt.

After all, I read the book The Natural Superiority of the Left Hander, by James T. DeKay. and it made perfect sense.

Bush and Clinton are left handed. So it goes,........
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 06:31:25 PM »
Boudreax, I had the same problem when I began to shoot IPSC, and used the method your thinking about using, middle finger right hand. The sargent at arms called me out and took me to a safe room, asked me demonstrate a reload, which I did, but the normal way, with my thumb. He then says " that's not what you were doing out on the range, and then he asks to see my pistol, operates the mag release, looks at me and says, g_d damn, no wonder, take the spring out of your mag release and cut 3 coils off of it to start. " That really helped, and I continue to tune my releases now 30 years later. I like the Smith and Alexander ambi release, on those pistols I have them installed on, I use my trigger finger to operate the release, safer and faster, as you do not shift your grip at all, and your finger is nowhere near the bangswitch during the reload. You do need to know how the mag release works, and all you need is a dremel or similiar tool, with a small carbide round burr, to clearance the frame where the ambi release has moving parts. If you look at how it works, versus the old release, you'll get the ideal. If your uncomfortable with it, this is an operation the smith should not charge an arm and a leg for, my labor price is 25 bucks, but don't go beating up a smith who is higher, just use for reference to see if it is somewhere near fair. The exception is a wide body Para-Ordnance, I own 3 para's and love them, but some of their tolerances are not up to par, 2 notably, the hole in the frame for the mainspring housing, if you go to install a magwell/mainspring housing, expect to fit it, the hole is probably not going to line up, they use plastic mainspring housing that are very forgiving if the pin hole is off a few thousandths, the metal pin will push through the plastic easy. On the ambi safety, the location of the release hole is not always perfect and you need to drill and tap a hole, install a set screw to push the magazine to one side for proper retension, it comes with the ambi safety kit, along with a template, to show where to drill the hole.

You can always get an over sized button or paddle release which works well too, but may not be compatible with some holsters, and the mag may release when in the holster under different conditions.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk