Author Topic: Episode 7: Rob Pincus' gun  (Read 11314 times)

sublimaze

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Episode 7: Rob Pincus' gun
« on: February 11, 2009, 04:15:27 PM »
Just watched ep. 7 this afternoon.  I couldn't ID Rob Pincus' gun when he was shooting from inside the car.  It looked like it had a polymer frame, striker fired, and no light rail.  It looked like a good size gun for ccw.  Any help appreciated.

Thanks

PS:  Great show and great forum

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
Re: Episode 7: Rob Pincus' gun
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 08:32:30 PM »
It was a .40 Walther P99. Great shooting gun and very reliable in my experience. The main downside to these pistols is that the oddly placed decocker (on top of slide) is hard for many to reach.

THanks for Watching.

-RJP

stephnjd

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 11:00:16 PM »
On a related note, what are you using for the IWB holster?  I have been looking for one for my Glock 26.  The one I have doesn't feel very secure as I walk and sit.  Alot of the pistol is over the top of the belt.  Great shows by the way.

Rob Pincus

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 11:20:21 PM »
Thanks, Stephn,

That was a Blackhawk IWB that I was using in tonight's episode. Personally, most of my IWB kydex holster experience is with Blade-Tech, which I highly recommend. The Blackhawk product is solid as well, but a bit thicker than the BT.

-RJP

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 10:05:58 AM »
Rob,

Did the frangible rounds stay together when you shot throught the windshield?

Is the performance of JHP ammo the similar?

Thanks,

Ratcatcher55

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:49:37 AM »

Michael Janich

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 10:22:37 AM »
Thanks, Stephn,

That was a Blackhawk IWB that I was using in tonight's episode. Personally, most of my IWB kydex holster experience is with Blade-Tech, which I highly recommend. The Blackhawk product is solid as well, but a bit thicker than the BT.

-RJP

Just to clarify, the BLACKHAWK IWB was actually my left-handed, non-SERPA BLACKHAWK belt holster for a Glock 23. Although I do my best to demonstrate brand loyalty (and I do honestly believe in and trust BLACKHAWK's products), their IWB holsters don't work for me. Their best offerings are their leather IWB holsters, which do not have reinforced mouths, making reholstering challenging for me.

To solve the problem, I took the left-handed belt holster, detached the belt hardware and replaced it with two snap-fastened IWB loops. That rendered a rig that works great as an IWB and will not collapse. For the record, I also added a strip of the rubberized non-skid shower/stair tread tape to the outside of the holster. This tape provides a "grippy" surface that keeps your shirt tucked and prevents it from riding over the mouth of the holster.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike

Ketch

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 02:20:25 PM »
Really great episode last night!  I have been watching for a couple of weeks and got the wife to sit down with me to watch last night. We both really enjoy seeing a show like this on tv for some education.  Thanks!
"Start a fire for a man, warm him for a night.  Start a man on fire, warm him for life."

Hottrockin

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Be wise, use every advantage!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 04:52:50 PM »
I was surprised in the opening scene when the fella rear-ended Rob, got out of the car and was cursing, to see Rob go to guns that quick.  Maybe I didn’t see it right?!?!  Then the guy reached in and brought out a weapon, wouldn’t you go to guns at that moment?  I know, I know…be prepared.  I was just perplexed when Rob went to guns so quick.  You could see his confusion trying to look into the mirror(s) and figure out what was going on, good acting by the way RJP, and pulling so fast before the threat really appeared.  Thoughts?
NRA Member

Michael Janich

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 05:38:35 PM »
I was surprised in the opening scene when the fella rear-ended Rob, got out of the car and was cursing, to see Rob go to guns that quick.  Maybe I didn’t see it right?!?!  Then the guy reached in and brought out a weapon, wouldn’t you go to guns at that moment?  I know, I know…be prepared.  I was just perplexed when Rob went to guns so quick.  You could see his confusion trying to look into the mirror(s) and figure out what was going on, good acting by the way RJP, and pulling so fast before the threat really appeared.  Thoughts?

Some of this was already addressed in the other thread titled "Car Jacking Part I." Here's an excerpt from my post there that might shed some light on your question:

To put it all into simple tactical context, rule #1 is to leave plenty of room between you and the car in front of you so you can drive away if something goes bad. If the car in front of you backs up (look for the backup lights as an early sign), you should still try to drive away, even if you have to shove the front car out of the way. If you get pinned in and the bad guy just wants your car, give it to him. If it looks like he wants more than that, have a plan to go to guns--using the principles Rob demonstrated in yesterday's show.

We strongly believe that driving away/avoidance is always te best option. At the same time, we wanted to educate viewers regarding the realities and the preferred tactics for shooting through the windows of the car. To do that, we had to set up a realistic/plausible situation that was still range safe. Visually, the scenario with the tire iron was scary and compelling, but realistically Rob could have still driven away. We understand that, but the angles required for all the shots dicated that we had to set it up that way in the space available. Rob's explanation (repeated twice) emphasized that 1) the tire iron scenario was a simulation and 2) the "problem" we wanted to address was ANY situation where you COULD NOT drive away and were confronted by a lethal threat in close proximity to your car. That "set up" the shooting instruction, which was the focus of the episode.

The idea of the scenario was not to suggest going to guns early, but rather to have a plan and the requisite skills so you CAN go to guns if necessary. Until you've tried drawing in a car, you can't appreciate how difficult it can be. That's why we train...

Stay safe,

Mike

Rob Pincus

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 05:55:51 PM »
Thanks for picking up the ball on this Mike... I'm teaching the next batch of CFS Instructor Candidates out in L.A......

Meanwhile, one other thing to consider is that in the editing process some of the "dead space" may be cut out. As we've said before, airtime is precious.... Stating a couple of times that the technique being shown was for when you NEED to shoot covers up for some of the part where I might actually be watching the guy's behavior a little longer before going to gun.

On the other hand, as Mike noted in his last post, getting the gun out under pressure while seated at all, let alone in a bucket seat with seatbelt, is not always easy. Going to the ready position a little earlier than I would standing on the street is very real. I'm still in the car and the gun is still concealed by the door, etc... so it is very different that a brandishing situation that might happen (with potential negative escalation) if I drew "early" in a different scenario.

At the end of the day, you should be shooting when you perceive the NEED to... drawing when you perceive the NEED to do that is also going to be a subjective thing.

-RJP

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk