Author Topic: SIG SAUER's P229 .22 LR  (Read 32412 times)

VRTexas

• Forum Member
  • Our two greeters and eaters!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
SIG SAUER's P229 .22 LR
« on: February 05, 2009, 10:42:59 AM »
Anyone looked at the new SIG P229 .22LR. It comes with an upgrade coupon for the SIG SAUER X-CHANGE Kit. I was thinking about getting one as I have been looking for a .22 pistol. I have already looked at the Neos and Walter P22, but they don't feel and fit good in my hand. I am not really interested in the Browning or Ruger styles so I am hoping on some feed back on the SIG P229. The P229 feels and fits my hand and I like the fact it has a conversion kit available.

Timothy

Re: SIG SAUER's P229 .22 LR
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 11:18:19 AM »
The Sig is a good gun, my daughter has one and her hands are not very big.  I don't know anything about the conversion kits but I've read some posts by people that are not thrilled with them.  (Update:  the P229/228 my kid has is 9mm, not a plinker!)

The Walther P22 is a piece of junk!  (While shooting one, the slide repeatedly jammed up because of a loose screw on the right side of the frame.  Had to use locktite blue to hold it.  Accuracy was marginal at best)

Browning Buckmark or Ruger are spot on shooters....

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 02:45:50 PM »
+1 on Buckmark !

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 09:30:26 PM »
Anyone looked at the new SIG P229 .22LR. It comes with an upgrade coupon for the SIG SAUER X-CHANGE Kit. I was thinking about getting one as I have been looking for a .22 pistol. I have already looked at the Neos and Walter P22, but they don't feel and fit good in my hand. I am not really interested in the Browning or Ruger styles so I am hoping on some feed back on the SIG P229. The P229 feels and fits my hand and I like the fact it has a conversion kit available.

I have a Mosquito and wondered if these new guns were modeled after it, and it does not appear to be so. The gun I have shoots fine, but the trigger is not that good. I hope SIG realized this and made sure that these .22 pistols are as good as their larger caliber brethren.

If you can, wait six months and search the forums to see if anyone has bought one and get their impressions.  Good luck!

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 08:21:42 PM »
SIG makes good guns, but seems to have lost their way in the rimfire market.  They had the Trailside, which I owned and though it felt good and handled well, didn't seem to hold up.  The SIG Mosquito, which I currently own, is widely known to have problems.  You name it, it will malfunction.  It runs best wet dripping oil....they even pack it with them and that's a first for me to see oil packed with a gun.  Some of the guys here will probably chime in on the Mosquito if they read this....I love the feel and design of the Mosquito, it mimics a centerfire semi-auto which makes it a great tool for swapping out during centerfire session to pick up on and address any bad habits that may have developed using your centerfire blaster.

Didn't know they made the P229 in .22 LR...looks kewl.  I may get one...but only after it's been in the public for six months or so....that Mosquito really burned me and made me Sigspicious.

The Browning Buckmarks I own and the Ruger MK II all perform flawlessly.  They don't have that centerfire feel and look like the Mosquito, but they do run.  Even the P22 Walther I own runs fairly well...though when it dirties up it's needs to be cleaned to run.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:02:13 AM »

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 09:46:31 PM »
I went to a local gun store today and they had all three. I picked up the 226 and noticed that it was considerably lighter than the 9mm version, which is understandable. I like the fact this is a true 226 frame and trigger but with a .22LR slide.

I sent an e-mail to Gun Tests magazine to ask them to review them at a later date. I will try to wait until I see the review from them. Until that time comes, I'll continue to search the forum to get some feedback.

warhawke

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 04:23:31 AM »
It is basically a gimmick, get the people to buy the .22lr version because they can convert it to shoot a serious caliber, instead of just selling a conversion kit to make their centerfire's shoot .22lr. It is a P229 or P226, it just has a different slide unit and mag.
"Una salus victus nullam sperare salutem"
(The one hope of the doomed is not to hope for safety)
Virgil

MOREGUNS

• Forum Member
  • BANG!
    • D&M GUN SALES (GUNS FOR SALE)
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 10:30:03 PM »
THE SIG CONVERSIONS ARE LIKE MOST CONVERSIONS, UNRELIABLE. THE LAST THING I WANT TO DO WHEN I GO SHOOT IS DINK WITH WITH A GUN THAT JAMS. :(.. BUY A BROWNING BUCKMARK, OR A RUGER MK I,II,III. THEY JUST SEEM TO GO AND GO WITH NO PROBLEMS EVER! I HAVE SENT 4 MOSQUITOS BACK TO SIG SAUER FOR CUSTOMERS, 2 OF THE 4 STILL SUCK.
The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
GUNS FOR SALE
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.asp?User=658336

callithump

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Truth sits on the lips of dying men.
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 01:06:23 AM »
I bought one and I like it. The single stage trigger is 4lb with no creep. The double action pull is standard fare but smooth and it will get smoother wth time. I'm not sure if you can dry fire it at will like the Ruger... anybody know about that?
Put it this way, if you don't like the .22 conversion you can have a 9, .40 or .357 at a discounted rate within the first year.
I don't have plans to do that. I think Sig might finally have a winner here... just like Honeywell thermostats. They were junk for a long time untill they made the "Touch Screen".

MOREGUNS

• Forum Member
  • BANG!
    • D&M GUN SALES (GUNS FOR SALE)
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 09:30:14 AM »
THEY CAN BE DRYFIRED WITH NO PROBLEMS. YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THE HONEYWELL LOL  ;D ;D
The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
GUNS FOR SALE
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.asp?User=658336

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk