Author Topic: Shooting Gallery; Lever Action Self Defense  (Read 46582 times)

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
Shooting Gallery; Lever Action Self Defense
« on: January 26, 2009, 11:02:54 PM »

Lever Action Self Defense
Episode #109

The lever action rife is one of the most overlooked self-defense tools out there — accurate, powerful, easy to shoot and inexpensive. Host Bane gathered together several fans of the lever gun, including Dick Williams from SureFire, Dave Biggars from XS Sights, "Tupelo Flash," host of COWBOYS, and former LEO and firearms trainer Steve Hendricks at the world-class Swanson Tactical Training Center in Utah to wring the old rifles out. [ LEARN MORE... ]

Brianjp

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Shooting Gallery; Lever Action Self Defense
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 12:29:17 AM »
I caught part of the show tonight, and I saw one of the lever action rifles had an accessory rail on the forend where lights could be attached.  Where can I find accessory rails for lights and such for a Marlin?  All I am able to find are the xs sight rails for optics.

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 12:55:03 AM »
My lever gun is a hand-me-down and is a model 93 receiver and a 36 fore-end. It's solid, but in 30-30, I always thougt it was a little much for in the home. Am I wrong?

With its metal butt plate, it hammers the shoulder.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 01:30:39 AM »
I'm glad I've got it on DVR.  I'll have to watch it when I get home.

The good thing about a lever action is you can own it anywhere in the country... its not like that with say an AR or other semi auto rifle.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 08:37:04 AM »

Look at the learn more links on our episode page:
http://www.downrange.tv/shootinggallery/episode109.htm

XS Sights has a rail system for the Marlin.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:55:02 AM »

Brianjp

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 09:33:33 AM »
Thanks Marshall. I checked the episode website as well as the entire xs sights website, and I was only able to find the rails for the optics.  I guess if xs has a forend rail system for lights and accessories, it's not posted on their website yet.

Does anyone know of a company that makes a light attachment for a Marlin mag tube?

Texas_Bryan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 10:35:53 AM »
One night my granddad, grandma, and uncle (at the time 17) were home on night, they lived way out in the boon docks, and a drunk man came pounding on the door at 2am in the morning.  My granddad opens the door and carefully begins dealing with this man.  The man drunk, irate, and demands that my granddad drive him to Bandara.  Of course my granddad refuses and lets the man know that he'll call the police for him.  The man becomes enraged, starts screaming, and then my uncle cocks his lever action rifle he's holding behind the door, that sobers the drunk up real quick.  He apologizes, walks off and is picked up be the police a few minutes later.  It turns out this is the second house he had gone to that night and the cops where on their way.

So I guess a lever action may have that pump action shotgun effect, every one knows what they sound like and what they can do.  As far as my opinion on the usefulness in the home, I'd imagine it would be much like a pump action, but I would be curious to know the ballistics.

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 11:01:45 AM »
Ballistics of a 30/30 are in the same range as 7.62 X 39. If you would use an AK on a given target/threat then 30/30 would be equally effective. And with soft point hunting loads now available the opposite is true for game.

Old_Kemosabi

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 11:06:16 AM »
We would like you to have the episode on TV side of this site Please.  I enjoyed it Thank you.
Maybe you all could do a show on matching lever gun and hand gun caliber the benificts and uses. Such as when clearing the house on that show last night he was carring a 1911 or such instead of a 45  Long Colt revolver. Same Ammo for both guns.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 11:31:10 AM »
Ballistics of a 30/30 are in the same range as 7.62 X 39. If you would use an AK on a given target/threat then 30/30 would be equally effective. And with soft point hunting loads now available the opposite is true for game.

I was thinking more like 357.

BB has this for listing of normal persure 357 loads from a 18.5" lever gun.

a. Item 19A/20-180gr. Hard Cast = 1851 fps
b. Item 19B/20-170gr. JHC = 1860 fps
c. Item 19C/20-158gr. Speer Uni Core = 2153 fps---- Can you believe this?!!!
d. Item 19D/20-125gr. Speer Uni Core = 2298 fps---- Or this?!!!

I've always found thier number to be spot on.

here is win super x 123 ga soft points ( from thier web site) 7.62x 39

Muzzle Velocity: 2355 fps
Muzzle Energy: 1509 ft. lbs.

Thats not even 100 fps less then 7.62 x 39 for the same wieght bullets, I don't know how they test thier ammo.   I do know bb test theres in actual guns, not test barrels.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk