Author Topic: "We have a new President and now some things are going to change"  (Read 16830 times)

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Don't make me call the flying monkeys! DRTV Ranger
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
By Paul Proctor
January 21, 2009
NewsWithViews.com

One of my wife’s friends told her on Tuesday that someone she knew had been renting a house to a single African-American woman for several years. The lady had apparently never missed a payment or even been late with one.

But, for some strange reason, immediately after Barack Obama was elected to office last November, the woman reportedly stopped paying rent. When politely questioned about it, she told her landlord: “We have a new president now and some things are going to change.” He replied: “Well, that’s fine, but you still have to pay your rent,” to which she reiterated: “No, we have a new president now – and some things are going to change.”

From what I understand, the rent has yet to be paid.

Later that same day, while watching ABC News coverage of the inauguration with my wife over lunch, hosts Charles Gibson and Diane Sawyer were joined by Donna Brazile, a Democratic African-American author, educator and political activist, who gave a humorous account of her snatching the complementary fleece blanket she found abandoned in Barack Obama’s chair after the swearing-in ceremony. Apparently she wanted a souvenir of the momentous occasion and when the opportunity arose, she took it.

As they all laughed about it, Gibson responded playfully to her candid admission by saying: “We’re going to check with the legal staff and find out if that’s a felony or a misdemeanor.”

Brazile then gave a stern look into the camera and said: “We have a black president – it’s neither.”

My wife and I quickly turned and looked at each other with our mouths open, remembering our friend’s story from earlier that day.

After a couple more light-hearted comments, Brazile realized she needed to revisit her offensive remark for the benefit of stunned viewers and backpedaled with a smile saying: “We have an American president and I believe this [blanket] was given to all of the platform guests…” to which Gibson wrapped up the segment by chuckling nervously: “Donna is backing off a little bit on that one.”

I’m curious though; is there an underlying belief among some African-Americans that since we now have a black president, Obama will be providing them special privileges that somehow supersede the laws of the land rendering them no longer accountable for illegal, immoral or unruly behavior because of their skin color or ethnicity?

Did Obama not call for “a new era of responsibility” in his address to the nation or did he mean a new era of entitlements for people of color?

Is Barack Obama America’s new president or just the new African-American president?

I guess only time will tell.

A man with one watch knows the time. A man with two watches is never sure what time it is.
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History ! "

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: "We have a new President and now some things are going to change"
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 12:01:23 PM »
Day after the inauguration   coronation myself and my partner were coming out a door that swung out and a hispanic fella holding the door and coming in said, "Obama is president, you should be holding the door for me."

My partner said. "If I was on that side of the door I'd be holding it for you with a 'good morning' even if McCain was president."

Batten down the hatches, the 'entitled' have arrived.  ::)
Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 12:18:07 PM »
When Harold Washington was elected mayor of Chicago, I remember seeing interviews with a number of on the street and political types, all African American, and all of whom were gleeful in their pronouncements that "Now, it's our turn!"

Some things never change, and classless is as classless does.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 12:27:09 PM »
For those of you who never lived in the South or grew up here, this is all something new. But the "You people owe me!" attitude has been here for some time. Now the rest of the nation is about to see what this is all about. I remember telling one A.A in college that I did not owe them a damn thing: I never was a slave owner, my ancestors were never slave owners, and frankly I have never seen a slave in this country. I told them it's time to start getting on with being an American and stop playing off of something that happened 40 - 140+ years ago.

Needless to say, I was called a racist because I presented them with hard facts....

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
For the first 90 - 100 years after the Civil war Blacks did not have this sense of entitlement. The attitude was "Get educated and SHOW those folks what you can do". Then came the liberal dems with their "entitlement" programs, and affirmative action (which basically says "We know Blacks are to dumb and lazy to compete so we will lower the standards for them") After 40 years of this type of brain washing is it any wonder that we are seeing this attitude toward a Black President ?

Sponsor

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

runstowin

• Thomas Jefferson: “Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just”
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 05:27:42 PM »
I was telling stunned people before the election that Barry was a racist and a bigot, I think that many minorities sense this also, however to them that is a good thing.
Rights are like muscles, when they are not exercised they atrophy.

Thanos

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 11:54:38 PM »
I always tell people that think that I (whitey) owes them something that "My mom came here from England and my father's parents came from Russia." "My people didn't enslave their people...

We invaded their country killed their leaders, burned their villages, sold the survivors, stole all their resources and then took all those resources back home to build two of the largest empires the world has ever seen, and to make ammends, we created Israel, Iraq, Kuwait, the Balkins and invaded Poland. Are you sure you want to be pointing a finger at me and my people?" ;)

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Don't make me call the flying monkeys! DRTV Ranger
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 11:56:18 PM »
tee hee hee 

Ouch!
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History ! "

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 01:27:24 AM »
Actually it was their own leaders who sold them as slaves, to Arab traders, like Ivory, Coffee and silk, we just bought what OBAMA's ancestors were selling.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk