Author Topic: Pepsi, Obama, Obama, Pepsi. What gives?  (Read 8507 times)

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pepsi, Obama, Obama, Pepsi. What gives?
« on: January 09, 2009, 08:09:27 PM »
Pepsi's Ode to Joy for '09
TBWA\Chiat\Day's optimism for the New Year doesn't prove infectious

Jan 4, 2009

-By Barbara Lippert

Spelling out a warm welcome with words like "yo," "aloha," "howdy" and "konnichiwa" (that last one's Japanese), the Pepsi spot "Word Play" ushered in 2009 with a big, graphic dose of optimism (or "optimismmm," as the spot preferred to spell it).

The New Year is certainly a good time for positivity. But given that 2008 was, in many ways, a uniquely lousy year, this first Pepsi work from TBWA\Chiat\Day might seem a tad disconnected.

Then again, it's aimed at millennials, those born between 1980 and 1990, who are an innately optimistic bunch, at least according to Pepsi research. (This insight comes from a study known as the Pepsi Optimism Project, or "POP." Which is to say, soda. And the wild colors here are very pop art.) But even if research hadn't found a single optimist out there, the agency has to act as if things will get better. Otherwise, what's there to say? "It's 2009, and your home is in foreclosure, but it's Pepsi time!"?

The spot is due to air during MTV's New Year's Eve coverage and is posted at RefreshEverything.com (a site created by R/GA), where effervescent, Pepsi-minded users can upload photos and post their "refresh" messages to boards in Times Square. Words from the commercial are set to appear on eight different boards, and at four minutes before midnight, Pepsi plans to release 1,000 giant logo'd balloons (each three feet in diameter) for the revelers to revel in.

For any brand, especially one that's bubbly, having a presence in Times Square on New Year's Eve is cool. And in its graphic simplicity, the spot is attention getting, and establishes a different tone from the big celebrity-filled production numbers from BBDO, Pepsi's previous agency. For starters, this one cost perhaps $99 to produce, not including the price of a Mac.

At the same time, the happy-greeting-card vibe is derivative and watered down, like a great idea that somehow got stepped on before being executed. I like the music, by indie rockers the Apples in Stereo; it's a catchy tune with upbeat lyrics like "And the world, is made of energy/And the world is electricity." But it, too, sounds like watered-down Beatles.

To be fair, this New Year's effort is a palate cleanser, or placeholder, for the real ad campaign to come. Still, given TBWA's genius in promoting Apple, and Pepsi's prominence as a brand, I find it a disappointing opener. The graphics represent an artificial sense of hope that's detached from any meaning.

It's all about the "O." In each word, that letter is replaced with the new red, white and blue smiling Pepsi globe logo, designed by Arnell. For me, that's where the trouble starts.

The new Pepsi mark is very reminiscent of the Barack Obama logo, the graphic symbol that was so swooned over by design mavens and average Joes alike. That's because the Obama logo was rooted in meaning: Obviously, the "O" is for Obama, the colors represent the American flag, and the stripes could be the plains or American farmland, or a bridge to the future. There's a grounded, hopeful sense of change in the abstract imagery, which matched Obama's platform perfectly, while the rest of the presidential contenders' logos merely spelled out their names.

The Pepsi logo is also pretty similar to the Korean Air logo. The airline, on its Web site, says the yin-and-yang design is intended "to express a sense of dynamic power." I'm sure the Pepsi designers were going for "dynamic" feeling as well. But the red, white and blue globe, smiling or not, just seems hard and corporate. It fails to incorporate any sense of the rich visual legacy of the Pepsi brand. (And with the redesign of its can, Pepsi joins the parade of companies using all-lowercase lettering, suggestive of the 1960s and '70s.)

Whether the country is feeling optimistic or not at the moment, the big question here is: What is the spot really communicating? And that's exactly the problem these days in selling any soda. That this ad comes off as Apple lite reminds me of the famous marketing story from the mid-'80s, when Steve Jobs recruited John Sculley from Pepsi to head Apple. He convinced Sculley to take the job by asking him, "Do you want to sell sugared water all your life, or do you want to change the world?"

Neither description is really accurate, and Sculley's move turned out to be a disaster-he should have stayed with the sugared water.

But the point is, millennials out looking for a job these days would probably sooner stop for a Red Bull than a Pepsi. And no amount of playing the happy card is going to change that.

Compare that to Obama's logo. And I like Pepsi.
Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
Re: Pepsi, Obama, Obama, Pepsi. What gives?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 08:34:41 PM »
Drink Barrackola - the official kola of President Hussein.   ::)
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 09:21:49 AM »
Drink Barrackola - the official kola of President Hussein.   ::)

No thanks.. I'll stick to sweet tasting .. Glock kool-aid that TAB talks about..   :P

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 10:59:47 AM »
Only saw the commercial once, but the emblem, and its likeness to BHO's emblem stood out like me in a wading pool.  ;)

I guess Pepsi will be the "national kool-aid distributor" of choice for the next administration?

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

bryand71

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 02:44:37 PM »
No thanks, I'll stick to drinking good old fashioned southern sweet tea!
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:54:21 AM »

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 06:14:55 PM »
No thanks, I'll stick to drinking good old fashioned southern sweet tea!

MEEEEEEEEEEE TOOOOOOOOOOO.... ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

CurrieS103

• NRA Life Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 06:19:05 PM »
Beer...definetly beer.  But never O'duals or his kool-aid
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 08:22:41 PM »
I didn't know bullsh!t was a beverage.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 08:40:53 PM »

I thought it was always served up as the main course.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 08:58:22 PM »

Yep...tastes like Kool-Aid.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk