Author Topic: Here Come Da Judge  (Read 6921 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Here Come Da Judge
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 11:08:01 PM »
Frank, is it Stainless for sure ? back in the 80's when I worked there the first time (when they were fighting the Gov about .45/410 pistols) they were making "Armalloy" Contenders and barrels, and they were like .223/5.56, I think Armalloy could use blued barrels but blued could not use Armalloy barrels, I might have it backwards it WAS 20 years ago  ;D But there was about .0100 differance between the 2.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1112
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 03:19:29 AM »
Frank, is it Stainless for sure ? back in the 80's when I worked there the first time (when they were fighting the Gov about .45/410 pistols) they were making "Armalloy" Contenders and barrels, and they were like .223/5.56, I think Armalloy could use blued barrels but blued could not use Armalloy barrels, I might have it backwards it WAS 20 years ago  ;D But there was about .0100 differance between the 2.

Yep. It's a stainless frame and all of my barrels are too except the blue .357 MAX that was a closeout. Stainless and blue barrels and frames are interchangeable with each other. Armalloy isn't interchangeable with anything but the custom shop can fix them so they are. My understanding is that it's a plating like hard chrome.

My .45/410 barrels are both internal chokes. The legal problem started with the old external chokes. Somehow THAT made it a sawed off shotgun?  ???  I don't get it. My 9" barrel was 14" and it was too heavy, then it was a 12" Hunter but a comp on a .223 pistol is LOUD. I think I made a cop drop her .38 when I shot it.  ;D She freaked out and and eveyone looked at me like they thought the gun blew up.  :)  I wanted the comp gone and they don't cut them down any shorter than 9" so I went for it. It looks great but losing 5" of sight radius means I can't see daylight around the blade anymore. File time. Again. I better not file too much this time.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 08:34:15 AM »
Do they make .410 Buck and ball?
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 09:19:53 AM »
Do they make .410 Buck and ball?

I think the ball would be the same size as the buck shot. It has to fit inside the shot cup. 000 is .36 caliber so it's like all 5 bullets from a .38 cap and ball revolver in one 3" shell.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 12:02:03 PM »
Yep. It's a stainless frame and all of my barrels are too except the blue .357 MAX that was a closeout. Stainless and blue barrels and frames are interchangeable with each other. Armalloy isn't interchangeable with anything but the custom shop can fix them so they are. My understanding is that it's a plating like hard chrome.

My .45/410 barrels are both internal chokes. The legal problem started with the old external chokes. Somehow THAT made it a sawed off shotgun?  ???  I don't get it. My 9" barrel was 14" and it was too heavy, then it was a 12" Hunter but a comp on a .223 pistol is LOUD. I think I made a cop drop her .38 when I shot it.  ;D She freaked out and and eveyone looked at me like they thought the gun blew up.  :)  I wanted the comp gone and they don't cut them down any shorter than 9" so I went for it. It looks great but losing 5" of sight radius means I can't see daylight around the blade anymore. File time. Again. I better not file too much this time.

Good, Yes, Stainless and Blued mix and match freely.
BATF tried every every angle they could think of to stop the 45/410. For a while the only ones who could get them were people who worked or had friends in the "Barrel Room" and could get one specially made on the side.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:36:41 AM »

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 02:55:37 PM »
Am a big fan of the Judge...I believe I was the one who said it might be the best car gun ever made. I'm going to extract one of the lightweight ones from Taurus at SHOT, as I made the mistake of sending my T&E one back!

Michael B

PS: I believe Colt did a small run of smoothbore 1917 revolvers for a Phillipines contract way back when...
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

runstowin

• Thomas Jefferson: “Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just”
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 07:16:38 PM »
Rights are like muscles, when they are not exercised they atrophy.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 11:46:38 PM »
The 3" 000 buck loads give you just over 500 ft/lbs at the muzzle, close to a .357. but it makes 5 holes instead of 1. That's THE defensive load for it IMO. About a 3" spread at 3 yards and 7" at 7 yards.

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 12:31:34 AM »
Hmmm.

I have that from Navy Arms (army model) - the original ultimate vehicle weapon.  And yeah, it gets attention at the range.  Sometimes too much.  ;D

I've got a bullet mold for it, too, makes one conical bullet and two pellets per cast. So when making nine rounds of .44, 18 pellets seems to be implied as the load out for the shot barrel, but I don't recall being able to fit it all in the barrel.

http://www.navyarms.com/html/le_mat_rev.html

Bought it new in '94 for a lot less than the current $895.

What I find funny is I'm generally not a wheel gun guy, but I own this and would love a Judge.  Must be the allure of the shot...

Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk