Author Topic: FN9, M+P, & EAA Witness comparison follow up.  (Read 7115 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
FN9, M+P, & EAA Witness comparison follow up.
« on: December 07, 2008, 05:42:19 PM »
Thought I'd start a new thread regarding the "shootout" between my new FN9, my M+P .40, and for good measure my EAA Witness .40 with ported barrel.

This is my first 9mm, as ammo prices keep rising, and my love of shooting continues, I needed a cost effective round I could not feel bad about shooting a couple boxes of ammo at the range. (like my .45LC) which is in semi-retirement due to price of ammo. :'(

I know I ganged up on the FN9, with 2 .40's but here is my "average Joe the Plumber" type of report.

Ammo: 200rds UMC .40S&W each pistol.
          200rds. UMC 9mm

Distance; 10yds. (range rules) that's the minimum.

All pistols were clean.

M+P is the largest and widest out of the three.
EAA Witness with wonderfinish and all steel frame, with ported barrel is the shortest, but yet outweighs them all. Pretty much a CZ Tangfolio in .40.
FN9 is a hair shorter than the M+P but lighter (loaded) with 10rds in mag, (they both hold more but I kept it at 10).

Balance and grip are too close to call; the M+P with medium backstrap grip feels great, but may be harder if gloved hands were used.
The EAA has a trigger guard that is flagrantly bowed to accomodate large fingers or gloved hands.
The FN9 has a trigger guard that is more rounded than the M+P's "slanted back" style.

Triggers: The M+P is the longest pull as no exposed hammer is a factor. BUT it resets quicker and IMHO has the shortest take up to fire.
The EAA in DA, is a LOOONGGG pull and resets much furthur. BUT the SA follow up shots are almost like blinking. veeerrryyy light in SA.
The FN9 is new and has a shorter pull in DA, but resets quicker than the EAA in DA. The SA feels like a hair trigger as it doesn't take much at all for follow up shots.

Rapid fire is not allowed at this range, so I have no current double tap data. with the FN9. But previous exp. with the EAA and M+P is too close to call for me. I love tham both. Although the EAA with ported barrel, keeps my groups closer. BUT the rear sight is WAAAY TOOO TALL (previous post), Will have to address a sight change for the EAA in the near future.

Recoil: Well, The M+P's length and balance is spot on, the EAA has a ported barrel which feels more like the FN which of course is a smaller round. But 1 handed drills were easier with the FN. As the EAA is the smallest one handed is still stout.

I don't speak the language used by the "pros" in the gun mags, and hope a 9 on 9 challenge can be made by someone here on DRTV soon.

Sometimes hearing and reading an "unprofessional" shooter's opinion/ report,  relates to someone like me who just loves to practice, practice and continually try to shoot more consistently regardless of firearm. I want to shoot my Kel-Tec P3AT, my 1911's, and my others, in the same fashion; Accurately.

They performed without a misfire or FTfeed or eject, I did have a stiff reload of a new mag in the EAA but it was attributed to a "lefty" reloading to battery with another finger. ::) You righties got it made in the pistol world. ::)

All 3 are a nice bunch, I mighthave to get 1 more 9mm before they get "politically" cast in an evil light, after Jan.

Tom W.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
Re: FN9, M+P, & EAA Witness comparison follow up.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 07:34:44 PM »
Nice comparison... and it sounds like you will enjoy them all no matter what.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

mx451

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: FN9, M+P, & EAA Witness comparison follow up.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 07:36:24 PM »
Thanks for the pictures if nothing else... ;D
I've got two guns, one for each of ya!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk