Author Topic: 1911 on a budget...  (Read 15833 times)

Fox_Hound

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1911 on a budget...
« on: October 14, 2008, 05:50:57 PM »
After much meditation and forethought, I have decided that I am in the market for a 1911. I am looking for a Government size (as in 5 in. barrel) in .45 ACP (what else?) preferably in an all steel model. Will be used for concealed carry as well as general shooting and home defense. I have a budget of anywhere from about $800 to $1000 fazools and I would like a little advice on getting the most bang (sorry about the pun, really I am) for my fazool, err, buck. So, let the opinions fly!  What do you guys think? Best 1911 for under a grand? I would really like to know...\

~Fox
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" ~ Sherlock Holmes

TSB

Re: 1911 on a budget...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 05:58:33 PM »
There are dozens of 1911 pistols from all different manufacturers for well under 1000 bucks.  Take your pick!

I'm limited on what I can buy in MA but still had several different models to choose from and settled on a Para LTC.  It's a commander size 4.25 barrel but its far more accurate than it needs to be.  I picked it up for a little over 700 bucks with tax.

Go inexpensive with a Colt or Springfield A1 and build it up or start at about 700 or 800 and trick out a nice one.  You have more than enough money.  For carry, a steel 1911 with a 5" barrel will weigh about 40 oz or 2-1/2 pounds unloaded add another 4 oz for the weight of the ammo.   That's a lot of weight...

Good luck and good shooting.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 06:33:44 PM »
What happened to the Rock Islands for sale at SARCO??

I cannot locate their page any more!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 06:36:27 PM »
I recently bought a almost NIB colt 70 seriers for $450.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 06:48:40 PM »
Rock Island is a solid choice if you can find one.

Haz...I e-mailed RI and they said that because of supplier problems they had to take their 1911's out of production FTTB.  They don't know when they will be back up.  They even removed them from their web site.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:47:48 AM »

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 06:52:00 PM »
Rock Island is a solid choice if you can find one.

Haz...I e-mailed RI and they said that because of supplier problems they had to take their 1911's out of production FTTB.  They don't know when they will be back up.  They even removed them from their web site.

Richard

DANG!  Wouldn't ya know!

I saw a couple on GunsAmerica for 400.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 07:43:03 PM »
$1,000 burning a hole in your pocket?

Go buy yourself two Glocks...... Full size .45 and subcompact 9mm....... No need to thank me!
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 08:06:03 PM »
Foxhound you have many options in that price range, Kimber's, Para's, Colt, Springfield, Sti spartan, Rock Island and even more. In that price range, I like the Para Ordnance for 2 reasons, they all come with ramped barrels. ( an integral feed ramp built into the barrel ) This is not a deal maker, as the 1911 in .45 acp will work with ball ammo, and some will feed hollow points without modification, but I make extra money, polishing and altering feed ramps for those that don't, also an integral feed ramp usually supports the head of the case better, for higher pressures, again not a deal maker or breaker. 2nd, it comes in single or double stack configuration, so you can carry 6 to 14 rounds, depending on which you chose. Retail can be upwards of 900-1000 bucks, but they usually go for less. Now if you can latch onto any of these aforementioned models with the features you like for 600-800 bucks, you have money left over for extra mags, holsters and ammo. Single stack mags go for 10 - 25 bucks apiece, the double stacks can go for 30 -50 bucks apiece.

I hope this helps.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

TSB

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 08:22:43 PM »
+1 on the Para!

I can feed mine anything and it keeps on shooting!

Watch Todd Jarrett go through 1000 rounds of .45 ACP with a stock Para SSP for about 700 bucks.  His video is on the DRTV video link, it's quite a show and if they were loading the mags faster he'd have done it in under ten minutes...

http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=68

Fox_Hound

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 08:42:16 PM »
Thanks for the info guys! At the moment I'm leaning towards a Para or a Sig. MB, if you are out there, I would really love to hear your opinion on this!

~Fox
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" ~ Sherlock Holmes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk