Author Topic: SIGTIP - The Wall Drill  (Read 33489 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
Re: SIGTIP - The Wall Drill
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2011, 09:13:57 am »
Maybe I'm the only one here who has practiced this before.   Actually I was doing about 3' away, but an instructor told me to get within 1" of the wall.     I didn't share back then because I thought I was probably the last to know about this drill.

I think it helps to have a very small mark (dot, pencil mark, nail hole, blimish) on the wall so you can actually see your sight move  (or not) in relation to it.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW SOG 1968-1972

The Down Range TV Forum

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2011, 09:13:57 am »

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 10:06:53 pm »
Cannot believe I did not see this tip before??? Glad I got to check it out and thanks for sharing.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 10:37:54 pm »
I learned a version of this with a 1911 that works pretty good.  Using a pencil wrapped in tape that will slip into the bore (two sections taped up one at the breech and the other at the muzzle) aim at a dot on the piece of paper taped to the wall/door, get a good sight picture and press the trigger.  Repeat 10-15 times and you will see a witness mark for each press of the trigger representing how you are doing at maintaining the sight picture.  Works great with a 1911 but I have an XDM so like someone before mentioned I have to break my grip and rack the slide (a little concerned I'll develop a training scar with that too).

More training videos please, like reloading on the move, drawing from a holster (competition style and defensive) and shooting drills  ;D
He who dares wins.  SAS

santahog

• Top Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 10:06:10 pm »
More training videos please,

Me too, please!!!
With friends like these, who needs hallucinations!..

Rastus

• Join the NRA ! Today!
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 05:56:39 am »
Just FYI, you can dry fire this drill and improve your trigger control by placing a quarter on your front sight. 

If you have issues with trigger control, and don't we all, you will discover them by adding this trick.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 05:37:38 am »
Just FYI, you can dry fire this drill and improve your trigger control by placing a quarter on your front sight. 

With revolvers you can place the quarter on the top rib and see how many shots (how quickly) you can shoot DA while not loosing the quarter.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW SOG 1968-1972

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 12:43:25 pm »
If the gun is laser sighted, you can watch how much it wobbles just trying to hold it on target prior to trigger pull. 

Shows all the small twists and turns that happen when pulling the trigger too.

Really defines your 'wobble zone'.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 01:27:11 pm »
If the gun is laser sighted, you can watch how much it wobbles just trying to hold it on target prior to trigger pull. 

Shows all the small twists and turns that happen when pulling the trigger too.

Really defines your 'wobble zone'.

About "wobble".
When I was at Parris Island, they told us that in the standing off hand position you were not going to hold the rifle perfectly still as in prone, or sitting.
The thing to do was to control the movement into a pattern resembling a figure "8" lying on it's side, squeezing the trigger so the shot broke as the sights crossed the bulls eye .
The same method should be effective with a laser.

PegLeg45

• Chuck Goins: NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 11:16:54 pm »
About "wobble".
When I was at Parris Island, they told us that in the standing off hand position you were not going to hold the rifle perfectly still as in prone, or sitting.
The thing to do was to control the movement into a pattern resembling a figure "8" lying on it's side, squeezing the trigger so the shot broke as the sights crossed the bulls eye .
The same method should be effective with a laser.

Another method that works when the heart rate is up, which increases the wobble factor, is to introduce controlled movement in a lateral motion across the target and break the shot as the sights cross the center...... much like shooting skeet. I saw Phil Strader discussing it in an interview once.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined...The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun."~Patrick Henry

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

"We are far out on a limb......the wind is blowing, people have saws....and the tree is old." ~ PegLeg

Aleta9765

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 09:46:04 pm »
Great idea.