Author Topic: Ruger 77/44  (Read 3486 times)

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ruger 77/44
« on: October 05, 2019, 09:22:22 AM »
As a lot of us old timers, sometimes impulses come over me, and I go with the flow.
I, for some reason decided I wanted a Ruger 77/44 carbine.  No real reason, and I needed another
project rifle like another hole in the head.  I have 2 pistols in .44 mag, but I thought that I Really should have the Ruger.
I bought the rifle with the plastic stock.  I have 3 rifles with the plastic stocks, .22 and .308, and they work fine.
The Ruger stock I did not like.  So I went with the factory wood stock from Ruger. After fitting it, its good.
I don't shoot well with iron sights anymore (81 years old) so I put a Vortex 3x9 scope on it. It shot reasonably decent groups, but a 6 pound trigger did not help.  Also the scope was parallax adjusted for 100 yards. (no adjustment scope).  So I did 2 things. First a Vortex Diamond 3x12 BDC with parallax adjustment.
Second, a Rifle Basix replacement trigger (RU-R).  The trigger was an easy install, and the trigger is really great. I do not expect a match rifle in .44 mag, but it should be able to shoot ok.
Now I have to go out to the range again (darn) and see if my shooting is any better. The load is 240 grain Hornady, 22-23 grains H110.  22 grains H110 is at 1600 fps, I have not shot the 23 grain load as yet.
Like I needed another hole in my head!

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Re: Ruger 77/44
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 05:03:12 PM »
I think they are pretty good guns.  I scooped up some spare parts from Midway USA really cheap like 80% off about 10 years ago.  There were quite a few built initially but they didn't take off.  Then Curtis Higgins in Owasso bought a roomfull of them because no one was buying them and converted the barrel into an integral suppressor.  Subsonic rounds are quieter than most pellet guns....

A good gun to have especially if you have pistols in 44 mag.  I think it makes a lot of sense!
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 09:22:56 PM »
I always thought they would make a great close range deer gun.  44 mag up close is more then enough.  Should not destroy as much meat as most conventional  deer guns.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 05:02:28 AM »
I guess Curtis is still doing conversions.  If you want to have an integral suppressor on yours.  They are really quiet in 44 mag...

http://sandharms.com/
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 11:16:59 AM »
I have finally finished up with the Ruger 77/44.
After a lot of time on the reloading bench, and at the range, I have been able to come up with some decent loads. It is not a match rifle, but fun to shoot.
I did replace the factory 6# trigger with a fully adjustable trigger that is at 2#, no creep, works great.
I did find that I needed to cool the barrel down after a max of 20 rounds. The people that sell the MagnetoSpeed chrono sell a product called Riflekuhl, which is a battery powered fan that fits into the rifles chamber and blows air down the bore.  It really speeds up cooling down a barrel.
With a cool barrel, I can put 8-10 rounds into 1-1/2" group at 50 yards.  The 2 loads are #1 Sierra 220 grain FP, with 23.5 grains H110, Fed 155 primer, at 1750 avg fps, sd 8.89 with readings from a Labradar chrono.
The 2nd load is a 250 grain Sierra, 22.1 grains H110, Fed 155 primer, at 1625 avg fps, sd 9.1.
The 220 load is point of aim at 50 yards, the 250 grain is a more clustered together group, a bit lower and to the left on the target.  But the groups are the same size, very good, with decent velocity. 
I have tried to attach a target photo, and labradar print out, but I could not get them to attach to this reply.
Now I need to decide which load to use for the final scope adjustments.

So I guess I have to find another project now. Perhaps a 6.5PRC?

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:57:37 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk