Author Topic: I stayed there (Likely a stupid thing) hotel security or lack there of  (Read 1309 times)

nosimij

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Over the weekend I did the good son in law thing I drove my mother-in-law 300 miles to see her sick sister.  The whole trip came up quickly so off we went with little planning.  My wife booked a room for us and the next morning we were off.  We had a good drive and met relatives that we had not seen in decades or ever.  A great time was had by all.  Evening came and we rolled into the hotel about 21:00 looking forward to the room we had reserved.  repair was not 100% at the place. Old carpet not abnormal.  Some pealing paint, unsightly and not high on my issues list either.  These things were starting to add up, but I was tired and it was late and I had to drive 300 miles back tomorrow.  We get to the room and my wife said the lock is loose, hmmm.  I went to the car the security doors "locked 24 hours for your protection use room key for access" ajar not closing correctly.  I should have seen the light at this point but did not.

In the morning when we went to breakfast we noted that 2 security doors were complexly non functional. One had the lock completely removed.  The other the security strike plate was in there so crooked that the door would not close.  The big one was the room door it was not that the security lock was loose the DOOR FRAME WAS NOT CONNECTED TO THE WALL.  Yes the whole frame moved in the opening. 

I will say that I had enough sense, which shows that I was alert to the issues, to place the suitcase in front of the door so that it would slow down an intruder during the night since the lock was loose.

I should have see it and run.  Paying for a second room would have been wiser.  It worked out in the end there was no issue, but the potential was there in multiples.  I have not decided what to do about it.  I am considering a letter to the chain and or online review.  I took pictures of the security locks on the outside doors and the room's door jam.  I have stayed in this chain a Bunch over the years and as a a whole I am satisfied although I have become accustom to delayed repairs.

I do have to say I saw nothing to indicate that there were issues or reason for extra concern.  Now I am just looking for excuses that what I did was not a bad call.

Anyway though I would share a moment of stupidity that did not cause a problem.

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Re: I stayed there (Likely a stupid thing) hotel security or lack there of
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 07:24:15 AM »
The vast majority of chain hotels are actually franchised and not owned by the company whose name is above the door.  While many of the companies do fairly regular inspections to ensure the properties are up to their standards, some do not.  You would be doing a good and proper thing to register your dissatisfaction with headquarters.  If nothing else, it would put the local owner on notice that corporate is aware of the failing standards at that property.

Something else that could be happening is that the hotel/motel in question is not actually and truly affiliated with the chain.  This can be done in several ways but the most common is a slightly different spelling of the franchised name.  Most companies will put a rapid stop to that when they find out, but they need to know before they can act.

Make the call.  You will be doing all of your fellow travelers a huge favor.

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 11:45:59 AM »
I bought a little rubber door stop when I was traveling for work to wedge the door closed (may have seen that trick somewhere).  Prior to that I would put my gym shoes in front of the door.  I was fortunate that most of the hotels we stayed at were pretty nice, save one. 
He who dares wins.  SAS

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 06:05:38 AM »
Good tip Magoo and good to see you back again.

I usually just put some of their chairs in front of the door but that was only an alarm.  The jam is a much better idea and easy to carry.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 09:01:22 AM »
Thanks Rastus.  New job has me back at a desk some of the time, as opposed to running around the Machine shop herding cats and making parts  ;D
He who dares wins.  SAS

Sponsor

nosimij

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 11:33:15 AM »
I did respond to the request for rating my stay.  I got an automated reply from a GMAIL account so I assume my issue was passed tot he management of the hotel.  I replied to that with my pictures, but surprise have heard no response.

I travel enough that I should carry a door stop as suggested.  This will make me start doing that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk