Author Topic: I Will Be Going Off Line For A While  (Read 4746 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
Re: I Will Be Going Off Line For A While
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 10:34:46 PM »
Good luck and stay safe!  Will be waiting for your return and reports on the new homestead.

Ditto, if we still have a forum. And let us know if you bought any new toys, or sold some to lighten the load for your move.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2019, 07:51:23 AM »
How's the move going?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 07:59:02 AM »
How's the move going?

We're about 70% there. I have another 6' X 12' U-Haul trailer going there early Sunday morning. After that the gun safe mover is coming on the 30th. And after that the movers will be taking everything else. Hopefully in another 3 weeks the place will be all clean and empty, then it goes on the market.

This was the hardest thing I've ever done physically in my life. I totally under estimated how much stuff I had, and totally misjudged the weight. But the worst is over with. Finally the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train coming the other way. We had no help, and did everything ourselves thus far. The movers will be taking the beds, dressers, and other large, heavy items we can't handle.

It's so nice going from a cramped, hot 2 car garage, to a evaporator cooled 3 car, boat deep 984 sq. ft. one. So far, so good. But both of us are going to need a good long rest when it's all over! I'll most likely be pulling the plug on my Internet service here soon. But we already have Internet service at the new place. So it will just be a matter of getting everything hooked up. So most likely the next time I post, it will be from Lake Havasu. Stay well. 

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2019, 09:46:23 PM »
Moving sucks.  This time I only bring what will fit in 1 20' trailer.  Every thing else is gone.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Timothy

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2019, 09:50:11 AM »
Your garage is about 400 ft? larger than my current living space!   ;D

Retired on a crisis with no reserve...still better than working in the industry I was working!

Enjoy the lake...

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:21:02 AM »

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2019, 04:26:22 PM »
Moving sucks.  This time I only bring what will fit in 1 20' trailer.  Every thing else is gone.

My Dad used to say that three moves are as good as a fire for destroying furniture.  I think he was probably right.  I've replaced couches and chairs after fewer moves than three.

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Timothy

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 08:13:43 AM »
We buy used furniture...  I've moved three times in the last twelve months and a good bit of our kit is still in a storage unit...

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2019, 08:14:13 AM »
Our son-in-law and daughter have been doing it right - They bought a home in Florida.  After the deal was made he asked if they would take $10 for the furnishing ... SOLD!  Two days of shopping, and our daughter had all the little crap done, and it is as well equipped as a home you have lived in for a decade.  This past winter they sold this one, furnished, and they bought another, unfurnished.  No moving of anything!  One van load of personal stuff, and everything else has been delivered and set up.

Maybe, someday, if I start investing in the lottery, we will do it that way as well.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2019, 03:25:38 PM »
My Dad used to say that three moves are as good as a fire for destroying furniture.  I think he was probably right.  I've replaced couches and chairs after fewer moves than three.

Crusader Rabbit

I love to build furniture,  if I could actually make money at it I would do it.  Just like art you have to be promoted by the art elite to "make it"  I have zero desire to deal with them.   That's part of the reason why the misses is having such a hard time with getting rid of stuff.  It's " but you made that"   I keep telling her I can build it again.   For me personal belongings are just things.  Not really important and. Can be replaced.  Out of every thing I own that is really valuable to me could fit in a archive box.  Everything else is just junk.  Even my personal tools, 95% is not coming with me.  I am taking my mechanics  tools (1 rolling box) basic hand tools, my skill saw that I  bought at 17 and has cut thru miles of 2x4 3.5 inche at a time and some nail guns.   Everything else is being sold/ given away
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2019, 08:53:18 AM »
Well guys, this is my first post from our new home in Lake Havasu. Albeit on a crappy, slow lap top. We purchased this home furnished, which is both good and bad. The good side is it was very tastefully furnished for the most part. A lot of the time people leave a bunch of crap for you to get rid of, that they don't want anymore.

This wasn't the case here. So we were able to get rid of a lot of stuff back in Phoenix, and not have to pay the movers to move it 200 miles. That helped. The downside is you wind up with double everything. So you start getting rid of stuff here as well.

I can't count the trips I've made to both Goodwill and St. Vincent DePaul both here and there. A lot of it was stuff we have not touched in the 22 years we were living in Phoenix. So out it went. I still have both of my gun safes to get moved, and then the movers are going to take everything else. But basically my ass busting is finished. All that's left is to unpack and get organized.

Unpacking is always a lot easier than packing. And I'm sure there is a lot more to get rid of, or else tossed. I can't count the dumpster runs I've made as well. I hate doing that, but the landfill both here and back there is a PITA to get to and from. Plus I've known a lot of people who ended up with nails, screws, and God knows what else in their tires.

When we moved here the first time in 1991, you just put your bagged garbage at the curb. Now all you get is 1 bin, and that fills up with just the garbage that you generate in only a week of living.

Anyway, so far so good. I'm guessing we will be pretty settled in within about 3 weeks or so.
Then all I'll have to worry about is selling our old place. I hope that goes quickly, and without problems. I'll try to stay in touch as much as I can in the next few weeks. In the mean time you guys stay well and take care.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk