Author Topic: Have You Read Any Good Books Lately?  (Read 7566 times)

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
Re: Have You Read Any Good Books Lately?
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 12:19:02 PM »
Jumbo, He did have access to the survivors and the reports, He ststed that in the article. He wasn't trying to make the officers look bad, Just wanted to point out their errors to enlighten other LEO's.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 11:05:02 PM »
Thanks for educating me Majer. I never saw that article. Since it was just an article I won't look for it, but if it was a book I would. I know some of the mistakes they made that day, and they changed the ways they do some things because of it. The only reason Mireles had access to all of that information was because he was involved with making a training film, a don't do what we did film. I didn't think anyone that wasn't working on it too would have that information.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 11:36:36 AM »
Actually, Ayoob is promoting Mireles' book as well. His write-up, along with excerpts are at the link below.
He also has an old video on youtube where he gives opinions.

https://americanhandgunner.com/our-experts/the-fbi-dadeland-shootout-hero-agent-ed-mireles-speaks-2/

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 12:16:22 AM »
Alright! I should be able to finish the book tonight and can read that article sometime in the next few days. I put a shortcut on my desktop so I don't forget about it.

Besides my monthly American Rifleman magazine I got a free year of Popular Science. They switched to a new format where each issue is on one subject. I got one magazine for each season of the year and I was reading one from last year about life (and death and birth) when I borrowed that book. I have some crap that will take a night to read after that, then a couple of nights to finish PopSci, then I'll read the latest Rifleman. When I get caught up on my magazines I have a book of SF short stories to finish.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 06:44:10 AM »
E.B. Sledge, With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 08:04:08 PM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2019, 03:13:33 PM »
not exactly reading, but i have been listing to dune on tape while driving.  i had forgotton just how much detail he put into it.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 10:15:38 PM »
I bought paperback box sets of Asimov's original Foundation trilogy and Herbert's original Dune trilogy when I came home on leave from the army. The first 3 Dune books were some of the only books I reread, and they held my interest when I did. I can't remember if I reread the other 3 of his Dune books or not, but I can pull them off the shelves whenever the urge strikes.

A new movie based on the first Dune book is scheduled to come out on 11, 20, 2020 in IMAX and 3D. I hope this one finally does it justice. It will probably cover about the first half of the book, with a second movie to follow.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2021, 03:30:58 AM »
Here's a book that's coming out in 3 weeks and is available for pre-order on Amazon. Vet TV sent this in an email about it.

Slap on your Birth Control glasses:

"Military Slang Dictionary" (by Veteran Television)

We speak the language of those who are bred to kill in the name of freedom and the constitution, and now it is in writing for all to see.

This book will teach you the language of the real American warrior, who, despite common perception, is usually a depraved 19-year-old guy who ran away from an abusive home, joined the military, and now lives with the intent to bang, break, and kill everything in sight. (Not necessarily in that order).

After you check it out, please come back and reply to this message with your thoughts.

The description on Amazon is below. I'm sure it will include some terms you can find online if you search for military slang, but I've never seen more than a page or so listed in one place before. The mention of stolen valor reminds me I downloaded a picture months ago that I haven't posted yet. I'm not sure what this guy's rank is called. Sergeant Colonel, maybe? That must rank above a Sergeant Major. How many years did it take to "earn" that rank and all the chest candy on his uniform?

There are many books about the U.S. military that'll help you understand our culture, history, and traditions. These books are written professionally and honorably, in an effort to reflect the values of the American servicemember - and can provide a respectful insight into the military experience. This is not one of those books.

This book will teach you the language of the real American warrior, who, despite common perception, is usually a bored, hormone-charged 19-year-old looking for something more exciting in life. So, they join the best military on the planet and now live with the intent to kill, blow up, and f*** everything in sight (not necessarily in that order).

Who is this made for?

If you're enlisted, a lot of this book will be familiar; use it for a laugh and a reminder that everyone thinks the military is just as ridiculous as you think it is. If you're an officer, use this book to relate to your troops, because they hate you. No, really, they literally HATE you. If you're thinking about enlisting, this book will help you understand the institution you're about to join, because the recruiters are definitely lying to you. If you're married to a service member, you will undoubtedly hear some of these terms during your next "domestic disturbance." If you're looking to steal valor, then this book will help you get any woman you want (below a 6), get free drinks at dive bars, and, of course, a free meal on Veterans Day.

You're welcome for our service, and for this one-of-a-kind book.

Disclaimer: While these are the words that veterans and active-duty military may know and understand, VET Tv does not endorse the actual use of them - especially outside of the context of war. It's important to understand that when your job is to take another person's life - your mentality and your language change in order to dehumanize the enemy and make light of the unfathomable experiences of war. Bottom line, this is a documentation of reality, not a recommendation to use any of these terms at the dinner table.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1736670506

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1423
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2021, 07:47:20 AM »
I am reading "The Unarmed Truth" right now about the "Fast and Furious" operation the ATF (And others) pushed on all of us. The link is below. So far it is a VERY good read complete with the people Dodson (The author) talked with and the total lack of any respect the ATF have for the lives this operation would cost. Well worth the read and if you have audible it is free.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Unarmed-Truth-John-Dodson-audiobook/dp/B00H2BVLYE/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&hvadid=78477693714973&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=the+unarmed+truth&qid=1620218602&sr=8-1
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2021, 09:26:55 AM »
I know we all like war and crime stuff, but I've started picking up some of the older classics that we all THINK we know because we've seen the movie.

HG Wells's  War of the Worlds is an example

Saw a recent British movie and it was so strange and different from the '53'  Gene Barry or the '05 Tom Cruise version I thought I needed to "go back to the beginning".

Wells concentrated more on the way people reacted to the news and how they interacted than he did on the Martian's themselves.  It's more about situational awareness and survival than sci-fi. He set it ~1898 and the two prime communications were newspapers and telegraph.  The telegraph was mainly used by the railroad, so people would hang out at the train station for the latest news. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk