Author Topic: Pistol Caliber AR Build  (Read 12163 times)

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pistol Caliber AR Build
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2019, 11:25:40 AM »
Rastus... the Venom is very small compared to what I perceive as holographic sights... I don't have an EOTech but have an older Bushnell  I once used...  the Venom is designed to fit on an auto loader pistol slide, and comes with a 1913 rail mounting plate as well as one for a factory prepped Glock... 1 3/4 long x 1 wide x 1 1/4 high.... I have mine mounted on a 1/2" riser... I have the 3 moa dot... the battery compartment is on top, and uses a 1632 coin battery

my USAF tech school was at Goodfellow AFB, San Angelo, Tx.... was treated very well by the locals back in 1970

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2019, 03:28:15 PM »
If the Kriss Vector handles as weird as it looks I wouldn't get one either. I'm an AR guy.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2019, 11:04:47 PM »
Got it on the Venom.  Looks like a good priced piece of kit.  I put a Fastfire on my son's M&P 22 a few years ago and it was cool.  I figured it would work well on a 22 for fast work..I need to look into that Venom instead.  I'm thinking jackrabbits and a 10/22 at night along a pipeline right of way would be way cool combination. 

And, San Angelo is a garden spot compared to Pyote!  I went there to meet up wtih my wife at one of the dog shows she chases from time to time.  San Angelo is a big sprawling town with water around....pretty nice place no one really knows about for such an arid area. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2019, 08:01:36 AM »
Oh yeah, I forgot.  So...what do you think about the Venom compared to a Trijicon RMR?  I picked up one of those year before last to drop on a Canik.  I haven't shot it much...less than 100 rounds maybe less than 50. 

And then there is the Fastfire III I bought for my son.  I need to get a venom when I get back from vacation and compare the three....

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2019, 10:33:15 AM »
I'm a Trijicon fan boy... I have a couple 4x32s, a 1.5x16, and an older reflex...the RMR was more than I wanted to pay for a sight that was on a game gun....especially one I was not sure I would like... (the Venom replaced two SPARCS).... if I were looking for a miniature reflex for a self defense use, it would be a Trijicon RMR

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 02:40:04 AM »

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2019, 05:50:00 AM »
I need to shoot with the RMR more than the pittance I have.  Dot sights are great and they aren't.  I generally pick up center of mass targets quicker with irons than I can the dots.  I don't have down acquiring the RMR dot quickly. 

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2019, 08:32:29 AM »
do you shoot with both eyes open?

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2019, 09:47:52 PM »
Yes I do.  Sorry about the late reply...I was packing for 3 weeks in the Pacific when you posted last.

I need to get back to the range and put the RMR through some serious paces.  I put 70 or 80 rounds through it last week.  I think part of my problem is shooting too many pistols and not settling on one or two. 

Regardless, I picked up a plate rack and several other steel targets and put them up last week.  I'm going to get serious...at least every couple of weeks over a weekend...with my shooting again.

tombogan03884

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2021, 07:54:08 PM »
Rastus... a couple of comments... a traditional blow back pistol caliber carbine has more recoil than a 5.56, just a lot less muzzle blast...I think a 10mm blow back would be a problem do to the high pressure and danger of rupturing a case on extraction... I have 3, 10.5" ARs configured in 5.56, and for home defense it would be my choice over a pistol caliber in terms of reliability... mine are fitted with a linear comp (LeVang) that pushes a lot of blast forward...that being said if you decide to down grade to a 9mm, I've been playing with an AR9 for about 3 years now

Rudy Koester of Macon Armory makes .45 and 10mm that are IIRC a locked breech design

my AR9 for USPSA use is a Glock format New Frontier Armory billet lower with a RRA trigger, the upper/barrel/fore end is a Palmetto State Armory with a NFA bolt with an AR style extractor,

PSA has a forged Glock format lower a friend uses, and would be my choice for a "do over" as well as a complete PSA upper and their gen4 bolt with AR extractor..

my Colt style with magazine well adapter unit on my SBR broke the last round bolt hold open after only two lock backs... my competition Glock format does not have LRBHO... the Glock magazines feed directly into the chamber from a single cartridge release where the Colt style lowers feed from a double side feed magazine and have an integral feed ramp... I recommend the Glock format

if you decide on the AR PCC I can probably help you on specific questions... please feel free to ask

Les

Bumped to mention CMMG has a 45/10mm upper reciever.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2021, 07:06:09 AM »
Man those things are pricey.  I got off track with the dang virus and fixing up this old farm.  I need to get back on track with this project. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk