Author Topic: Ruger 10/22 Extractor Issue  (Read 2935 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Ruger 10/22 Extractor Issue
« on: January 19, 2019, 07:25:41 PM »
So an old 10/22 won't eject on manual bolt activation but it will when I fire a shot.  So...I've ordered a new extractor, extractor spring and extractor plunger.  Anything else I should do to this bolt once I break it down?

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ruger 10/22 Extractor Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 08:58:43 PM »
pull the bolt out of the receiver....  place a fired case under the extractor... on my Charger two things were evident... first was that the extractor touched the end of the machined slot, which did not allow full grip on the cartridge, so I removed some metal from the inside edge of the extractor allowing it to pivot further inward.... second was that the extractor engaged the cartridge below the 3 o'clock position on the case, so the extractor was not in full contact with the case... it engaged with just the upper lip edge of the extractor... I shaped the  gripping edge of the extractor to match the profile of the cylindrical case

add an extra power spring if your replacement spring still does not work... the ejector is on the magazine, and look that there is not an imperfection in the casting of the feed lip

good luck

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 09:09:07 PM »
Nothing I know of other than cleaning it well and looking at the tip of the firing pin. It should be okay since it still shoots. I had to order the extractor, spring, and plunger for mine too. At least one case head ruptured and blew the extractor out with it when I was shooting some really old ammo. It was the only blue and yellow box of Winchester ammo I've ever seen. A neighbor gave it to me.

ETA: The ejector is in the trigger group, but apparently it doesn't do anything if the magazine is in the gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXs23QP-aHw
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 01:07:27 AM »
Thanks guys.  Besides getting extra heavy duty whatever....is there any kit i should buy that will actually improve things?  This is my quite varmint eliminator.  It has a Cloak barrel on it and the barrel will get a new o-ring between the barrel and receiver to dampen noise.  i'm wondering if there is anything for the v block assembly that does the same thing?

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 08:09:45 AM »
Rastus... your older 10/22 has the aluminum trigger group which is considerably better than the modern version....I fooled with a Clark barreled, thumb stocked 10/22 for the Chevy Truck Sportsman's Team Challenge, and it was a 5 year process, but was directed at improving the accuracy... with the factory 10 round rotary magazines and Winchester Super X, never had a hiccup, other than yours of not extracting a live round... I tried a Clark extractor which was about all that was available at the time, and was still iffy... while recently playing with the Charger, I could not get the 25 round OEM magazines to work reliably without some work... the extractor modifications so far have been 100 percent with a variety of bulk ammo

on a separate note, my CMMG .22lr drop in conversion for an AR has been upgraded with stock TACCOM extractor, extractor spring and recoil spring... there are quite a few providers for 10/22 after market goodies... good luck...

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:14:31 AM »

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 11:40:28 AM »
I haven't put more than 400 or 500 rounds through my CMMG.  Never had a problem with it...I was really, really surprised no feeding, firing or extraction issues.  They seem to be surprisingly solid.  Of course, with the new ammo prices and availability of 22 AR platforms that mimic the look and feel of the AR platform they are kind of an afterthought.  The one difference is that you get to run the gun you like with the kit you like for practice.  I doubt the 22LR will erode a barrel in my lifetime and I like that I'm running the same AR with can I like to run.

Natchez Shooter Supplies has the Ruger BX upgrade trigger group for $59.99.  You can take an extra 10% off on $100 or more orders....so I'm in for $54 on that and a new Burris Droptine with the Ballistic Plex drop compensator for 22LR.  I figured I'd try the BX and if I don't like it I can save it for the next one.   

The 2x7 scope is for a CZ 452FS....I dunno if I'll like the compensator or not but the price was good.  Heck, one of these days I'm going to get to shoot and find out if I like these things are not....I keep saying.

I still like those Chargers.  They look like baby's first sniper rifle....   ;D

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 02:05:41 PM »
Check the exctrator pocket for burrs/ junk.  Other then that I got nothing.  Never was a 10 22 guy.  I have too many "tinker toys"   only took me 4 years to get the kinks out of my 9x25 dillion ar.  Hell, I moved in last year, got one side of the garage shelves/ cabinets built... The stick too build the other is still sitting there.  It's been 4:30- 9. Pretty much every day, that's when I am even home.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 09:00:37 PM »
I feel your pain Tab.  I've slowed down some in the last year.  This time next year I hope to be pretty much "retired".  I think we both probably need some toy time.

As for being a 10/22 guy....me neither until I won the 10/22 w/ Tacsol upgrade here on this board.  That was what....a decade ago now?  I haven't put more than 250 rounds down the pipe in that....heck I think I may only have 120 or so through it and Mike Bjerum put a bunch of those through it. Then I saw the AAC Cloak barrel and figured that was a ticket so I picked up a used 10/22 from a co-worker...put it together with the cloak and an adjustable stock to be my squirrel sniper....maybe 150 rounds through that one and it's the one with the extractor issue.

Anyway,...I'm stoked to try that trigger upgrade.  Hopefully I'll be able to report before mid-February...hopefully.  Mid-Feb we go to the dog show....in NYC.  Not looking forward to that trip.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 09:58:17 PM »
That is a sweet gun!  Somewhere there are photos of me, in my UPS uniform, posing with it and shooting it.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 11:02:01 PM »
Many years ago I bought some trigger shims for my 10/22. At least I think they were for the trigger. It's been so long that I would have to look to be sure. I do remember something about them being honed or polished with rubies. I never heard of such a thing before or since then and it stuck with me. I can't remember who sold them but when I looked online for 10/22 trigger shims, I found a company called TriggerShims.com that sells 10/22 trigger shims plus other shims for it and other parts too. They also have shims and things for other rifles, pistols and revolvers too. Revolver endshake a problem? Who ya gonna call?

https://www.triggershims.com/index.html
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk