Author Topic: Para-Ordnance P10 Assembly Tool  (Read 3605 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1087
Para-Ordnance P10 Assembly Tool
« on: January 16, 2019, 07:32:31 PM »
I finally installed the spare recoil spring assembly that I bought several years ago for my Para-Ordnance P10-45. I took out the original unit and pressed down on it, then compared it to the new one. There was a definite difference, at least on the inner spring. It bit me so bad I got blood blisters on 2 fingers. I didn't really check the outer spring very well, but as a whole it's stiffer.

I sometimes have a hard time getting my gun back together. It has a bushingless barrel and a tiny reverse plug. It helps when I use a very small screwdriver to lift the front end of the guide rod slightly when I push it into the hole in the plug. The hard part is getting everything in place and keeping the barrel link in the proper position long enough to get the slide on the frame.

Today I made a little tool to help. It's a piece of steel about 5/16" wide that I think was once part of a guide for a jigsaw. After I bent it into a U of the right width, I cut it to 1/2" in length and rounded the edges off with a file. Now when I get the barrel, plug, and recoil spring in the slide, I compress the springs far enough to drop the "clip" in place on the end of the rod. It keeps the springs compressed far enough that there's no pressure on the barrel link. The slide then slides on very easily, and when I pull it back a little I take the clip off, put the slide lock in and I'm done. I wish I would have made this little assembly tool years ago.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Para-Ordnance P10 Assembly Tool
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 07:37:17 PM »
More pics.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 07:37:52 PM »
The rest of the pics.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 08:10:52 PM »
I just remembered that my 12.45 LDA has been changed over from a single recoil spring to the same type of dual-spring system as my P10.45. It's 1/2" longer and has an Officer's Model-type barrel bushing, but the same type of recoil spring assembly. I checked and my little tool fits it too. I haven't had it apart as much but I think it's easier to assemble than the P10. There's a bit less of an angle when putting the guide rod in its hole in the plug, and the springs may not be as stiff.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 12:54:16 PM »
Cool idea and neat tool, Jumbo.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:47:43 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 10:39:55 PM »
Thank Peg. I think I saw some other kind of pistol before with a flat end on the guide rod like mine but don't know what it was. The same idea would work with any pistol that has a head on the end of the rod. The inside width might need a bit of adjustment that that's easy enough. Mine was just a tad wider than I wanted it at first. A slight turn of the vise handle took care of that. I pried the ends back open a little with a screwdriver and it was perfect.

I have a longer piece of that metal left and it just fits inside the back of my loaded 20 19-round AR mags. If I didn't know better I would think it was made for that. I pressed the follower down the short distance it would go and shook the mag to dump the rounds out. It was faster and easier than pushing them out one at a time, but the follower was tilted by the time I was done. A little poke and it was back to normal. I did the same thing with the other mag, and my Thermold mag charger filled them right back up. It works without clips and with G.I metal clips or Thermold plastic clip/fuel sticks. There's a Thermold clip in this one.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 12:27:29 AM »
I got my new American Rifleman magazine 2 days ago and there's a review of the BUL 1911 Ultra pistol. Instead of a 3" or 3.5" barrel they split the difference and made it 3.25". There's picture that shows the pistol field stripped and it has a dual concentric recoil spring setup that looks like it would fit either of my guns except for the 1/4" difference in length. It has a bull barrel and recoil plug with 2 little ears on it like my P10. The plug is backward in the picture BTW if anyone else has the magazine.

It looks like my tool would work on the BUL 1911 Ultra and also on the Kimber Ultra Carry. That's probably what I saw before with a head on the end of the guide rod. I found a picture of the Kimber online where some guy was talking about 10 things he learned from the worst gun he ever had.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 06:54:26 PM »
Got my issue yesterday......will have to check it out.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 12:33:18 AM »
The BUL is back there in the dope bag. It's not a bad looking pistol. They're imported by International Firearm Corporation.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 08:09:48 AM »
Jumbo... sorry if I missed part of your description... back in the day, when guide rods were of sufficient diameter, and the recoil plug was inserted from the rear of the slide (we initially had to remove the rear ledge of the slide), you could lock the slide back, mark a spot on the bottom of the guide rod just in front of where it exits the slide... then drill a small hole large enough for a paper clip diameter "L" shaped bent wire, making sure it clears the dust cover

to use: you would lock the slide back, insert the wire, then slowly release the slide which would trap the plug to the  spring and guide rod so it could be removed in one unit... to install, you slide the unit in, hold upright, and lock the slide back.... the wire would fall out

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk