Author Topic: New mounts for an old gun  (Read 2021 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
New mounts for an old gun
« on: November 06, 2018, 11:45:39 PM »
I got a Nikon 2-piece P-TACTICAL Mount for my flattop AR. It's an old Eagle Arms upper I bought and assembled many years ago. I tried a normal 1-piece riser made for flattop ARs and the slots for the 2 cross bolts didn't line up. Apparently it wasn't made to Picatinny specs. I bought the tallest rings I could find back then. I had 2 pairs and stripped a screw on one and have 3 rings on it now. They were never tall enough, but I made do since the riser I tried wouldn't work. I saw a 2-piece riser set online but each part had 2 cross-bolts and I didn't even try them. Since these only have 1 cross bolt on each part they should work. I read where one guy couldn't use them because the cross bolts were screwed down so tight when he got them that the mounts bent in and he couldn't slide them on. I'm hoping things go better for me. I'm not sure when I'll get around to mounting them but will post how it goes. They should just slide right on and the screws go in, no problem. They make 1" black, 30mm black, and 1" flat dark earth. Has anyone else tried these?

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/mounts/p-tactical-mount-%281-inch%29.html
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: New mounts for an old gun
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 12:21:59 AM »
I finally got the new mounts on. The old rings look just like these NcStar rings but I don't know who made them. I put one on as close to one of the new mounts as I could with the caps off both of them. Using my handy dandy Lufkin X46 6' folding rule as a depth gauge, the new mounts looked to be 1/4" higher. It's enough to make a big difference. I don't have to scrunch down to see. The rear ring is in the same position on the scope as before, and the front ring is 1/2" farther forward. I centered the scope between them with 1/4" of adjustment front or rear possible. I have to take the scope off and get a bit of adhesive off it, then try to get the cross-hairs level when I put it back on. I used a combination of screwing the cross bolts in and pounding on them with the handle of a very large screwdriver to get them across the slots to the other side of the mounts. There shouldn't be any movement when I shoot.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 10:13:39 PM »
I don't think I ever mentioned it before but my flat-top upper looks like the rail was welded onto a receiver that had the carrying handle milled off. There's a visible line the whole length of both sides less than 1/8" above the top of the notch for the charging handle. There's an uneven wavy line below that where the color looks the same as the rail but doesn't match the rest of the upper. It has the built-in brass deflector and may have started out as something between an A1 and A2 like my Colt. My Colt AR had all of the A2 features from the flash suppressor back to the stock, except for the A1 rear sight. I think they only made them like that for a few years.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 07:53:07 PM »
I still haven't finalized the position of my scope and mounts but I'm going to move the front mount out toward the edge of the upper which I think is 2 slots farther ahead. And the rear mount will have to move ahead the same distance.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 01:03:03 AM »
I was looking at the position for the front mount. 2 slots ahead on the front mount put it roughly 1/8" over the edge of the upper, so I only moved it up 1 slot and it's about 1/8" back from the edge. The base is 1" wide and covers up the slot that was mangled by the cross bolt. The rings I had on it were barely over 5/8" wide and even with the edge, so this is 2 slots back from the ring that was there but I'm still gaining almost a whole inch because of the forward offset of the mount.

I moved the rear mount up 2 slots which left the slot with screw marks gouged in all the way across exposed. Sharpie King Size to the rescue. The tip is the same width as the slot and I got most of the exposed metal covered. Good enough. When I get the scope on I'll mount it with the back edge even with the rear of the upper. That should be about the maximum eye relief it's good for and I'll be able to move it farther back without moving the mounts again if need be.

The only reason the scope was as far back as I had it in the past was that I couldn't move it ahead any farther and still have one ring in front of the turret housing. There was plenty of room behind it for the other 2 or 3 rings. The scope was so low I couldn't get behind it well enough to figure out where to put it. Now I have room to move it back and forth to see what works for me.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:39:27 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk