Author Topic: Vote!  (Read 4500 times)

BAC

Re: Vote!
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 03:36:16 PM »
Daughter voted for the first time today.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 11:05:33 PM »
I voted, then I stole a picture online. Senior citizens and people not physically able to go to the polls qualify for absentee ballots. I had one once in my life since I was going to be elsewhere on election day. That's the only early voting I know anything about. Everyone else votes on election day. They had some chairs for people like one little old lady I saw whose husband helped her get to it.

We had an NRA A+ rated Attorney General who ran for Governor. It looks like he not only lost the election to a Democrat, but the NRA A+ rated candidate to fill his vacancy also lost. So we lost two on our side instead of one. He should have stayed AG where he's been helpful. And it looks like recreational marijuana will be legalized for adults 21 and over. But AFAIK marijuana use is illegal under federal law, so I don't understand how that works. I hope the pot-heads stay home when they're stoned and aren't behind the wheel, especially when I'm on the road.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 06:59:33 AM »
I voted once by absentee ballot in the USAF, what a pain with the paper and signatures involved (I was working trick work, mids, swing, days, trying to get signatures from day shop officers)... today Florida has mail in (and early voting) which is convenient, but the Red people don't get any campaign material out prior to a lot of mail in votes...

downside....in the primary for 2016, I cast a ballot for the Pediatric Neuro Surgeon, before he withdrew from the race...

Timothy

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 09:44:37 AM »
downside....in the primary for 2016, I cast a ballot for the Pediatric Neuro Surgeon, before he withdrew from the race...

This is the reason I don't care for early voting other than absentee.  I know the arguments but a few races this mid term withdrew last week.  How many of those people who voted early would have considered another candidate than the libertarian?

Our electorate is getting dumber anyway.  They elected a DEAD brothel owner to the State House in Nevada with posted signs indicating said demise!  My dumb ass sis in law voted for all the girls because she didn't know any of the candidates or parties!  Glad she lives in MA where her vote doesn't really mean much...

I won't vote early unless I'm absent.  I did that back in '76 for Ford...I don't recall it being that hard though.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 12:31:59 PM »
This is the reason I don't care for early voting other than absentee.  I know the arguments but a few races this mid term withdrew last week.  How many of those people who voted early would have considered another candidate than the libertarian?

Our electorate is getting dumber anyway.  They elected a DEAD brothel owner to the State House in Nevada with posted signs indicating said demise!  My dumb ass sis in law voted for all the girls because she didn't know any of the candidates or parties!  Glad she lives in MA where her vote doesn't really mean much...

I won't vote early unless I'm absent.  I did that back in '76 for Ford...I don't recall it being that hard though.

That's what got BHO elected twice, and the thought process behind running Hillary....and is what is currently causing the hand-wringing in my state of GA waiting to see the final results of the gubernatorial race.
People with no idea or thought to the substance behind the candidates or issues....just voting on mere emotion or the novelty of the act. I can assure you that there were many middle-class gun owners who voted for Abrams simply because she is a woman and Black because they think it is a novel idea to possibly be a part of a historical moment if she is elected.....all the while never considering that her top two campaign platform items were raising taxes and gun control (even alluding to confiscation).

IMHO voting is a civic duty...... but be an informed diligent voter.....if'n ya gonna vote stupid, stay home.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:13:26 AM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 02:11:50 PM »

Maybe that is a good trend   :D :D  The less they do the better off we are.   :D

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for." - Will Rogers

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 05:57:13 PM »
It looks like the Republicans won about 70 out of 83 counties in the gubernatorial and U.S. senate races, but still lost them both. The counties that the Democrats won included an area around Detroit where more than half the population of the state lives, plus some other fairly well populated counties.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Timothy

Vote!
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2018, 06:43:23 PM »
And Genoese, Saginaw, probably Marquette, too!

Kent went for James I expect..

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2018, 07:32:57 PM »
Yep. Flint is the county seat of Genesee county, and IIRC the democrat I really dislike got 72% of the vote for governor for the county. She's NRA rated F, as she has been for as long as I can remember. The losing republican was the AG whose opinion made owning suppressors and full-auto firearms possible here. With an anti-gun governor and AG I expect things to get worse than they were before that happened. Somewhere around the vicinity of Grand Rapids she won a county. The map was small and my memory isn't always great so I can't say for sure.

I saw something recently that IIRC said Michigan is the 7th worst state for gun control. One thing bad about it is having a bunch of handguns registered with the police. I no longer have to be fingerprinted every time and pay $10 to apply for a purchase permit to buy one. The dealers just make a NICS call while I'm filling out the 4473. But I still have to take it to the police and register it. They always used to say it's not gun registration, it's a safety inspection. Like in 1988 or '89, when I took in my new Para Ordnance kit frame with no parts on it yet, and they "safety inspected" it. The only thing they ever inspect is the serial number, caliber, and magazine capacity, if they can even do that. It's handgun registration plain and simple.

Timothy

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2018, 04:31:02 PM »
I expect any county near GR that voted blue would be Muskegon.

Kent, with GR as county seat is fairly conservative.  I grew up there and nearly all of the folks I grew up with are still there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk