Author Topic: The Ruger Charger...will this work?  (Read 24960 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Re: The Ruger Charger...will this work?
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2018, 06:40:22 PM »
If you think you can do it I say go for it. What's the worst that could happen? It doesn't turn out as good as you thought it would?
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2018, 07:02:56 PM »
Bob... not to stifle you initiative, and without going the SBR route even with a blade or brace, could something like the older Butler Creek folder for a 10/22 shortcut your design...I'm still leery about the ATF vacillating on their blade/brace decision...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-10-22-Folding-Stainless-Steel-Stock-by-Butler-Creek-No-Reserve/233000552094?epid=2288813560&hash=item363fea469e:g:z3cAAOSwoVZb4Kx8:rk:1:pf:0

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2018, 10:38:34 PM »
That's the stock (blued version) I have on my 10/22 that brings it down to approximately 27" when folded. And it's fully functional with the stock folded. I had an under-folding stock before that, with a 3rd arm on it that automatically opened and locked the butt at the same time as the stock. I couldn't open or close it with a higher capacity mag like a 30-rounder in place, so I dumped that stock for the Butler Creek side folder. It has a lock button on top of the hinge that you press to unlock. The whole rear of the stock actually moves down against spring pressure, not just the button. You can fling it open if you're in a hurry. It will lock into position when it's all the way back. To fold it just push the button and let it flop closed. It locks again when it's fully closed. There's a little bump on the right side of the butt-pad near the top that makes contact with the side of the stock when it's folded. Nothing seems to move when it's locked open or closed, but if it did the bump would keep the butt from rattling against the side of the stock when it's closed.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2018, 10:44:46 PM »
I had to rotate this picture before the kink in my neck got any worse.

P.S. They also sold them pinned open during the Clinton Gun Ban that had nothing to do with crime. Just call him Crime Bill Clinton. Everything he did was a crime.

P.P.S. Looking at those prices I'm glad I got mine years and years before that nonsense started.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2018, 08:36:41 AM »
Jumbo... I think that would be my choice also, and stick with a full length barrel... my 10 1/2 " AR "pistol" with fixed buffer tube is 28"

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 03:55:09 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2018, 05:07:49 PM »
I have a 32" (exterior) Bob Allen soft gun case made just for 10/22s, and Mini-14s too I guess, with folding stocks. It's long enough for my 10/22 with the compensator on it. It's tan with a large mag pocket with a Velcro flap on the right side behind where the handle loops are sewn on. It says Ruger in front of the handles on that side, and has a metal loop on the end you can hang the case from. It's nowhere near as big and bulky as the Bob Allen Tactical Rifle Case. It's basically the same as a pistol rug but longer. Too bad they don't make them anymore. I really like that one.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2018, 07:47:54 PM »
I think I've fixed the extraction problem with the Charger (when using the 25 round magazines)... I changed a couple of things, so not sure of which produced the actual fix, but most likely the addition of an extra power extractor spring, though I did trim the inside of the extractor so it would get a better bite on the case, and cleaned up the bottom edge so it better fit the cylindrical shape of the casing

secondly changed the angle of the ejector on the magazine slightly more open, and added a bearing (from empty 22 case per YouTube vid) to tighten up the follower to the actual follower spring mechanism...

shooting with fist (wrist) to chin gives amazingly quick shots with the Vortex Spitfire

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2018, 11:35:34 PM »
I had an extraction problem on my 10/22 a long time ago. The problem was, when the rim blew out on some old ammo, it took the extractor, plunger and spring with it. That explained the failures to eject but it still worked most of the time. If I ever need a new spring again I'll be looking for an extra power one. I took another look at my gun case and it has a big metal loop on the front end and a little one at the back end. It would be easy to add a strap and sling it over my shoulder if I wanted to. All the talk about Chargers is getting more interested in them. That would be easier to carry.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2018, 08:42:29 AM »
Jumbo... I'm having a lot more fun with mine than I thought I would...the young range officers stand behind me and watch the old guy shooting a pistol with it to his chin, one offering to show me how to hold it correctly....

finding a case will be the next challenge, though I manage with a Blackhawk SBR case from one of the prize tables in the distant past...

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2018, 11:12:01 PM »
Jumbo... I'm having a lot more fun with mine than I thought I would...the young range officers stand behind me and watch the old guy shooting a pistol with it to his chin, one offering to show me how to hold it correctly....

finding a case will be the next challenge, though I manage with a Blackhawk SBR case from one of the prize tables in the distant past...

ROFL. Yeah, let him show you, since you've obviously never shot a pistol before. ;D If I had a charger I think I would keep it close to stock and slap an optic on it. I didn't give cases for one much thought.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk