Author Topic: Ford Ranger ‘03  (Read 2662 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: Ford Ranger ‘03
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 01:39:11 PM »
Standard Auto batteries these day are junk. I used to get 5 to 6 years out of a good name-brand battery and now am lucky to get 3 to 4 max.

I think a big part of the problem is they are now shipped wet and charged from the manufacturer. And you have no way of knowing how long they are sitting on the shelf discharging before they are sold. It used to be they were shipped dry. Acid electrolyte was packaged with the battery, and was not added until the battery was sold.

The dealer would fill the battery with electrolyte, then charge it until the specific gravity was within the full charge range on a hydrometer. Today you are not receiving a fully charged battery. I've seen them on the shelves with the tops covered with dust. The batteries could be 6 months old or more. It is not good for a lead acid battery to sit in a partially discharged state. The plates immediately begin the sulfating process. Many are low on electrolyte as well. All of this removes useful life from a supposed "new" battery.

Timothy

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 02:02:49 PM »
Just had a flashback to the early 70's, worked in a 10 bay Firestone store...

50 car batteries and maybe four boxes/bags of battery acid in the back of a F100 driving through the city freeways of Grand Rapids...  Rear bumper was dragging, no steerage to speak of, 16 year old kid white knuckling it through town...

Good times...I think the two store managers were messing with me!

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 08:09:28 PM »
At least jump starting technology is improving by leap-n-bounds. You can get a jumper pack that'll cold-start a V8 that will fit in a glove box.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk