Author Topic: More New Digs  (Read 7683 times)

Timothy

Re: More New Digs
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2018, 01:31:07 PM »
I'm waiting to see a big fat walleye frying up.

Walleye are very, very rare up here.  The locals won’t eat panfish and walleye are scarce or extinct. 

Bluegill, crappie, yellow perch, large mouth bass, pickerel, pike and the occasional bullhead make up these upland ponds.

Good small mouth in some lakes and streams.  Biggest bucketmouth I’ve caught in NE was over nine lbs, smallies to about four.  Crappie state record is about four lbs I think.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2018, 04:58:32 PM »
9 lbs....beats me by 3-1/2 lbs.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2018, 07:20:35 PM »
Beats me by over 9 lbs.

It's been so long I'm not completely sure what this one fish I caught looked like but I think it was a walleye. My dad and I were out in a little 12' aluminum boat and I caught a beauty of a fish. We put in in a collapsible metal basket with a spring-loaded lid. It was hanging over the side of the boat tied to a stringer and we forgot to pull it in when we moved. The water forced the lid open and my fish swam away before we got the basket in the boat. I never caught another fish like that in my life. I've caught perch, bluegills, pumpkinseeds too I think, suckers, and at least one bullhead. I remember a bullhead swallowing my hook so deep I couldn't even get it out with a long plastic-handled hook disgorger. There are rainbow trout in the creek downhill of my brothers' cabin but I never fished it. I wasn't a good fisherman but I was the only one in my family who ever caught a redhorse sucker. The fins and tail were pink, or was it red? They aren't called pinkhorses.

When I was a kid sometimes we'd ride our bikes a few miles over to the dam and catch carp. My friends' mom fried some up with butter and lemon, and fed them to her cat/s. I don't think any of us ever ate a carp. I know I didn't. One day we were throwing carp on the road over the dam and watching cars run them over. Cheap entertainment right there, especially when a bus drives by. One guy saw the carp on the road and did a burnout on one. Skinned it instantly. If there are any rednecks here thinking about jacking up your car and sliding fish down a ramp to skin them, do me a favor. Get video of it.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Timothy

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2018, 05:39:19 PM »
A few decent bass fell for a Colorado bladed spinner bait and then “WHAM” something (northern pike) hit it on the drop!

Sizable fish but couldn’t get a good hook set and he/she spit it back and gurgled a defiant fishy laugh...

From the looks of the head the came up it was in the neighborhood of 30” I guess!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk