Author Topic: .458 SOCOM  (Read 13294 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
Re: .458 SOCOM
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2018, 05:17:48 PM »
The barrel and bolt arrived.  Yeahh-h-h-h-h.

And Primary Arms had a 75% off flash sale Sunday morning on comps.   I got one for 5/8-24 and one 1/2-28.  $15ea.

Have decided to go with a 9" handguard.  I tend to light full-length, but this will cover the gas block and help keep the weight reasonable.

My quandary right now is bullet weight.  Hogs.  That's what I intend to shoot.  325gr seems so right for this, but 300gr is so much cheaper.   

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2018, 06:27:49 AM »
Nothing quite like an angry hog with tushes that would normally be happy just to eat you.

I'd go with the bullet that would do the job.  Cheaper is for buying wine or furniture...or drapes.....
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2018, 12:13:21 PM »
I can honestly say that I didn't know that hog tushes could eat you... :o :o
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2018, 01:07:35 PM »
I can honestly say that I didn't know that hog tushes could eat you... :o :o

It's does not happen often, but it is a terrible way to go  :D
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2018, 03:51:46 PM »
Concerning Alf's bullet weight issue, I don't know that 25gr is a great concern once you get into bullet weights above 300gr (ymmv). You can probably overcome the difference with a slight velocity increase (provided accuracy isn't affected).

**Concerning tushes.......
Funny that I had a conversation with a fellow a just few days ago about the word 'tushes' as it related to hogs. Tushes is a word that both my great-grandmother and grandmother used and I heard it many times as long as they lived. I used (and still use) the term as well, even though at times over the years I thought it was just a mispronunciation of something like "tusks" as we southerners can do with words. I looked it up in the dictionary once and discovered tushes is the proper plural form of 'tush' meaning a long pointed tooth, and in particular the canine tooth of a male horse.....and in some Indian elephants a stunted tusk.
The term tush as most use it in reference to the butt is a slang derivative of several other words in other languages like Yiddish and Hebrew for the bottom.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 09:15:51 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 868
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2018, 07:12:07 PM »
I believe that at that weight 25 gr one way or another is going to be more an accuracy tweak than power factor or energy transfer.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2018, 06:05:58 AM »
I was thinking bullet construction is very important.  I'd go with a sledgehammer of a bullet that will retain it's weight better when, literally, "the bullet hits the bone".  Expansion will also matter.  If both are of equal construction the 25 grain difference probably won't matter.  However, reliable feeding will matter most.  I should have said what I was thinking instead of being in such a hurry.

And yes Majer, they will run you down make a meal out of you.  My dad spent a night in a tree once when he was a young and always impressed upon me the importance of having a place to go if there were hogs in the area.  The hogs we have now are even more aggressive then what people used to run into a century or even 25 years ago. 

Escaped domestic hogs will "de-evolve" after a couple of generations into something more wild than they started out as...which I find fascinating.  It was the escaped domestic hogs that were the problem years ago...but the new ones are Russian boars stock which start out big, strong and pissed off.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2018, 10:34:05 AM »
I was thinking bullet construction is very important.  I'd go with a sledgehammer of a bullet that will retain it's weight better when, literally, "the bullet hits the bone".  Expansion will also matter.  If both are of equal construction the 25 grain difference probably won't matter.  However, reliable feeding will matter most.  I should have said what I was thinking instead of being in such a hurry.

And yes Majer, they will run you down make a meal out of you.  My dad spent a night in a tree once when he was a young and always impressed upon me the importance of having a place to go if there were hogs in the area.  The hogs we have now are even more aggressive then what people used to run into a century or even 25 years ago. 

Escaped domestic hogs will "de-evolve" after a couple of generations into something more wild than they started out as...which I find fascinating.  It was the escaped domestic hogs that were the problem years ago...but the new ones are Russian boars stock which start out big, strong and pissed off.

Indeed so..... hard-hitting bullets are needed, and bullet design and construction is critical when dealing with hogs. I have a close friend who shot a hog between the eyes with a .357 magnum and the bullet cut the skin but glanced off the hog's forehead, pissing it off more than injuring it.

Alf, you mentioned bullet weights, but not particular brands or designs. What are you looking at there?

My thinking is something in the solid bullet arena like those by Barnes.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

DianneB

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2018, 12:01:44 PM »
The barrel and bolt arrived.  Yeahh-h-h-h-h.

And Primary Arms had a 75% off flash sale Sunday morning on comps.   I got one for 5/8-24 and one 1/2-28.  $15ea.

Have decided to go with a 9" handguard.  I tend to light full-length, but this will cover the gas block and help keep the weight reasonable.

My quandary right now is bullet weight.  Hogs.  That's what I intend to shoot.  325gr seems so right for this, but 300gr is so much cheaper.
Check out SBR Ammunition, Underwood Ammunition, Black Butterfly Ammunition (and us) for quality 458 SOCOM Ammunition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk