Author Topic: .458 SOCOM  (Read 13228 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Re: .458 SOCOM
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2018, 03:39:48 PM »
Check out SBR Ammunition, Underwood Ammunition, Black Butterfly Ammunition (and us) for quality 458 SOCOM Ammunition.

I have and will.    It's just the 300gr vs 325gr debate.   I think I'm going to go with less expensive 300gr loads for initial testing, break-in and sighting.   Then probably switch to 325gr when I get ready to hit the field this fall.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2018, 03:42:31 PM »
So dug around the old cabinet and found a Magpul stock that has a decent cheek weld area.   Because this upper doesn't have a rear charging handle I can build up the top of the stock as high as I like.   All I lack now is the handguard and a scope. (And ammo of course)

Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2018, 10:28:34 AM »
So here it is.   Right now I have the Sig Romeo 5 sight on because I had one available.  Eventually, I'll put a Bushnell AR 1-4x20 with throwdown lever.
Also I have the gas block on backwards so that it covers the gas port, making this a single shot for the time being.

It's made up of:

Bear Creek Upper Right side Charging and bolt
Anderson Lower with mixed parts
Tromix 16" Barrel and Bolt
GLFA Muzzle Brake Devastator
Magpul Stock
Rifle Supply 10" tube handguard.

I know there have been plenty of pictures of the round, but I kinda like mine.  XCaliber 300gr Hornady JHP.  Also have Black Butterfly on order.

Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2018, 12:49:23 PM »
Function tested it today! ! ! !

Yes, it kicks just like you're think a .45 caliber would. 

I tested it in single shot mode.  Something I've wanted to try with ARs for a while.  Guess what?  After you fire it nothing happens.  Oh gosh, Capt Obvious.

I'm glad I got a side bolt.   I think 458S may have some feeding issues depending on the magazine and the bullet ogive.  I was using Hornady 300gr JHPs which have a flat, short nose.  Had to help it a little.   I couldn't just pull the bolt back and release it.   I will read up on the magazine situation.  Seem to remember some magazines need the front lip ground down just a little.  I was using a 5 and 10 round metal mags.  Next time out I'll try some other styles of magazines.

This was ammo from XCaliber and it averaged 1,880fps with an PF of 564.   Impressive.  (Black Butterfly on order)  I wasn't going for groups since I am using a Romeo 5 and was shooting in an indoor range.  I did sight it in, just in case I need to use it before I get the Bushnell 1-4x.

On the way home I stopped by our local prepper place (TruPrep) and was VERY surprised when I discovered they expanded the AR offerings and carry more parts than some on-line places.   WOW.  6 different lower manufacturers, lots of every conceivable part, dozens of uppers, barrels & hand guards.  You can buy from 3 different manufacturers parts kits, or you can buy every part separately.  It is the most parts I've ever seen in a brick and mortar gun store.   So an Aero Precision M-Lok hand guard with no rails jumped out at me.  Exactly what I had been looking for.  $99 w/ barrel nut. 

Will work for ammo

DianneB

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2018, 01:02:28 PM »

So we made some new 300 grain FTX and 325 grain TTSX 458 SOCOM rounds yesterday, primarily for Dad, and we’re going to sell the rest off to local dealers that have been clamoring for it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 03:43:55 AM »

DianneB

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2018, 01:04:07 PM »

So we made some new 300 grain FTX and 325 grain TTSX 458 SOCOM rounds yesterday, primarily for Dad, and we’re going to sell the rest off to local dealers that have been clamoring for it

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2018, 01:11:43 PM »
I saw those on FB.   Got some coming in from some dealer.  Possibly Friday will be big bore day at the range for me.   That is if I can get my scope in time.
Will work for ammo

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1403
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2018, 10:44:42 AM »

OK. O see Blue and Red...... Now someone HAS to make white to complete the set!
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2018, 06:07:22 AM »
<snip>
Also I have the gas block on backwards so that it covers the gas port, making this a single shot for the time being.
<snip>

Have you taken it up to "full strength" yet?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2018, 07:25:33 AM »
Have you taken it up to "full strength" yet?

I'm thinking those were pretty much "full strength".

Ran into a little problem, besides  the 5" of rain, with more coming, which has curtailed going to the range.

I had assumed any side charging upper would have a large enough ejection port to handle the .458 case.   Of course, I was wrong.  Bear Creek's upper is not quite big enough.  Darn.  Two options.  Order a CMT upper explictly enlarged for .458.  OR borrow Michaels Dremel tool and open up the Bear Creek port myself.

Relax.  I ordered a CMT upper. 

Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk