Author Topic: Ruger Scout Rifle .450 Bushmaster  (Read 2991 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
Ruger Scout Rifle .450 Bushmaster
« on: June 12, 2018, 12:54:34 PM »
Has anyone shot or even fondled a Ruger Scout Rifle in .450 Bushmaster caliber? They have a stainless model with a black synthetic stock now. When I saw pictures of the blued model I didn't really pay any attention to the contours of the barrel. After it steps down in front of the chamber, it steps down again near the middle of the barrel. I haven't seen a factory made rifle barrel that steps down more than once in so many years that I can't remember what it was. Some old military rifle I think, maybe from WWII. The cylindrical portion of the barrel is easier to make a scope mount for than a taper would be. I think that's why they did it. I like short barreled carbines but this one looks kind of stumpy. Maybe because the barrel is short and fat instead of just short.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Ruger Scout Rifle .450 Bushmaster
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 04:38:26 PM »
Anyone? Savage uses a normal tapered barrel on their 110 Scout .450. Since they don't use a proprietary scope mounting system they have the back of their scope mount way back on the receiver. Their peep sight looks fragile, but other than that it looks alright. Their Wolverine with an 18" barrel looks the best to me by far of all 3 rifles. If I was in the market for a .450 Bushmaster bolt action, that would be the standard all others would be compared to.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 06:22:24 PM »
Their Wolverine with an 18" barrel looks the best to me by far of all 3 rifles. If I was in the market for a .450 Bushmaster bolt action, that would be the standard all others would be compared to.

Ditto.  And I gave up on Ruger center fires rifles when I had to contend with their rings, one short, one tall.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 11:52:05 PM »
Some states have shotgun deer hunting zones, like southern Michigan. They were letting people use handguns in the shotgun zone here with certain caliber limitations. They had to be straight wall cartridges of a minimum of .35 caliber and a certain maximum overall length. The typical Magnum revolver rounds all fit that category. Muzzle loaders are allowed too. I don't know if the Maximum revolver cartridges were always allowed or not, but they are now, along with the .500 S&W Magnum. The .450 Bushmaster is just a bit longer than those, and now you can use a .450 Bushmaster rifle in the shotgun zone. And maybe nothing longer than a 1.7" case, but I'm not sure. If you're confused, you aren't the only one. There are other states that allow it too, but not bottle-necked cartridges most "deer rifles" use. That may be driving a lot of sales for the caliber. Given a choice to use a .450 Bushmaster rifle or a shotgun loaded with slugs, I know which one I'd rather use for deer hunting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk