Author Topic: Rockcastle Rimfire Challenge - Retirement Kickoff  (Read 5823 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Re: Rockcastle Rimfire Challenge - Retirement Kickoff
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2018, 07:35:22 AM »
So as of this morning only 10 people have registered on Practicscore.  As long as they hold the match, I'm not complaining.  small squads, no waiting.  Cool.

Just so happens that on Shooting USA they ran their show about the Rimfire Challenge World Match.  Watch to see what gear the competitors were using.   Not so much as in pistols and rifles, but range gear, dump bags, etc.   The whole thing is run pretty much like a GSSF match.  I'm good to go.

Only regret is I never got the 617 so I could compete in Revolver.  Nor do I have an iron sighted 10/22.  Hmm.   I am taking a spare pistol with iron sights and if it works out I'll see if I can enter that category too.  Not sure how many entries you can do on one squad. 

Oh, and this is day 4 of retirement.  So far so good. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2018, 07:42:23 AM »
Sorry I didn't know you were looking for a 617  :'(  There is one in storage in the Gun Library in Minnesota that I would have gladly had shipped to you for the event.

Have a blast just the same.  I watched Shooting USA last night, and was itching to get going again.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2018, 07:58:16 AM »
No iron sighted 10/22 Alf?  For shame!!!!  I bet you can do something about that pretty quick...I mean...going into retirement without one of those is bad.  I hate to see your retirement kicked off like that... ;)

Dang Mike I hate that you are separated from your babies like that....maybe all that permit stuff can get worked out real soon.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2018, 08:10:34 AM »
Rastus,

I have taken all my written tests.  As soon as, if ever, this knee heals I can go in and take the three practical tests to get my driver's license.  Once that is in place I can apply for the FOID.  Biggest hiccup right now is the knee.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2018, 10:25:33 AM »
I went, I saw, I shot.   Didn't necessarily conquer.

The PROs:

1)  In Rimfire Challenge (RC) you get to shoot a lot!  There were 5 pistol and 5 rifle stages.  You shoot each 5 times.   6 targets each.  That's 300 rounds IF you don't do any makeups.   Good thing I took 500 rounds.  I actually shot 332 rounds so there were some makeups.  On one stage I missed the stop plate so I just emptied the mag on it.   

2)  Tim Norris, on Board of Directors of RC, came in from California to make sure everything ran well and to compete.   He's a great guy.  Gave us some good tips. 

3)  Rockcastle has 5 plenty big, action pistol bays and 8 cowboy bays.    The estate is 2,000 acres and also includes shotgun ranges, rifle range and golf course.  They even have their own cave which probably connects to the Mammonth Cave complex.   Oh they also have their own winery!   They grow some of their own vegetables, the salads are especially tasty in the restaurant.

4)  The Rockcastle owner and family couldn't have been more polite and eager to please.  The sons did all the RO duties so we didn't have to do anything but paint the targets.

5)  I don't have a copy of the full scores, but the RO said I finished 3rd in Open Rifle, behind this other really fast pro and Tim.  Cool.

6)  Winners got a year free membership to Rockcastle shooting and something else(I forgot what).  Everything else was random drawing.  I got a nice pistol case.  Plus Tim gave me $50 gift card to Timeny Triggers!!!

7)  That evening we sat around the outdoor veranda and a local band played and we consume a few beverages.  That was cool, too.

PICTURES:

Here's Tim Norris and he's watching the owner's son give the match briefing. 

More competitors:  Elizabeth is 14 and was an excellent shooter.

This was Pistol Stage #1.   Looks easy?   It was the hardest one to shoot.   The firing box is to the right of the picture.  Pointing at the ready cone, your gun is lined up with the large steel plate.  So do you swing far right and shoot everything right-to-left?  Or do you engage the big, easy plate first, then the ones in the back, then the ones on the right, then swing back left for the stop plate?  Slowest times were on this stage.

Here we are in Cowboy Town doing the rifle stages.

FUNNIES:

Here's Miss Kitty and I going on the cave tour.  Soon as we got well inside I reminded her about the flooded caves in Thailand.  Not a good thing I did there.

Okay i wouldn't have gone swimming anyway.

I can imagine all sorts of reasons for this, but am guessing either golfers cleaning their clubs or shotgunners their barrels.

CONS:

1)  This was Rockcastle's first RC match and they're were feeling there way through it.  Still more communications would have helped.  I registered 6 weeks ahead and never heard anything from them.  Nobody was approved on Practiscore until 7:30pm the night before.   Just a brief email confirming the match would have been nice, along with a few instructions about when & where to meet.

2)  The lodge was built around 1964 and is in need of an update.  It was 92+ on Friday and the window air couldn't keep up.  Upgraded, insulated windows would have helped.  Ceiling fans would have helped, also.   Yes it is a lodge, but still a little updating would go a long way.   I'll say they gave me a great rate and I wasn't uncomfortable. These upgrades would probably even save them some money in the long run.   

3)  The restaurant is good and the staff bends over backwards for you.  Great people.  And while some of the vegetables are home grown others aren't so hot.  One of the things I judge a place by is their potatoes.  Instant potatoes just don't hack it.  There's no excuse for not mashing you own.  We ate there a couple of times, but for dinner preferred going down to Bowling Green or up to Cave City's Cracker Barrel.   Given more time we might have tried the lodges inside Mammoth Park.

4) PICKY 1st World Problems:  Yes, they had WiFi.  Could have been a little stronger though and encrypted.  LED TVs would save them some money too over the CRT one we had in our room.  Not that we watched much.     

I will say, that if I go back to shoot there I will stay at the lodge again.  I'll just be better prepared with my own fan and a large ice chest, that I'll fill at the local store. 

Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 06:42:21 AM »

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2018, 06:45:52 PM »
Well Alf, heck it still looks like a lot of fun.  Did they have any RV hookups by the way?  We got that RV thing going now.

Mike...I hope that knee get's healed over quick like.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2018, 09:16:31 AM »
Well Alf, heck it still looks like a lot of fun.  Did they have any RV hookups by the way?  We got that RV thing going now.

It was fun to shoot.   Got to expend lots of ammo.

They should have RV hookups, but I didn't see any and I don't know for sure.   A quick call will tell.
Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2018, 09:26:47 AM »
The last Rifle Stage was interesting.  It looked simple, but there were a number of theories about how to shoot it.   Here's my crude drawing.  Now this is from memory so the distances may not be entirely accurate, but you get the idea.  The numbers of course weren't on the targets, they're just for discussion.  The height was such that the rear ones were a little taller than the front ones.

So, one thing I learned is that if you swing past the Stop Plate you're tempted to shoot it.  I had just bragged that out of 9 whole stages, 45 strings of fire, I had never shot the Stop Plate out of order.   I shot 1,2,3,6,4,5 and was very tempted to shoot the Stop Plate as I crossed it but caught myself.  So shooting 4 then 6 or 6 then 4 should be a no-no unless you're of very strong mind.

The most popular way was, 4,1,2,3,6,5. (or the reverse) A big circle, you don't have to change direction.
 But that means your first shot is 20yds.

Tim pointed out that you only had to raise your rifle a little bit to go from 2 to the Stop Plate.  So I think he may have shot it, 1,4,6,3,2,5.  Also a sort of circle but starting on a 10yd target.

I only bring this up to show how a seemingly very simple COF can present so many options.   

Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2018, 10:43:38 AM »
Word of warning about the HKS .22lr Loaders.

ONLY USE THEM ON THE MAGAZINES THEY WERE MADE FOR !   It's stamped on the side.

I just grabbed two of several loaders to take with me, one of which was not for the 22/45.   Jammed one on my 22/45 magazine and it stuck.  I mean stuck.  Several people tried to pull it off with no success.   We all decided best wait until I got home and had use of my shop.   Fortunately with the right tools it came off with no damage.

One of my HDS loaders is for Ruger MK I and MK II   ONLY!

It will jam if you force it on a MK III or MK IV (22/45) magazine.   They look so similar and ALMOST the same size.   Wish HKS would color code them.  (Actually I'm going to sell off my MK I so it won't be a problem in the future.)

Will work for ammo

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2018, 01:02:18 PM »
Al I'm a little lost here trying to find the place is it off I-65 and 31W right by an exit (northwest)?

The closest place I can see to where I think it is is here:

Diamond Caverns Resort and Golf Club
660 Doyle Rd, Park City, KY 42160-7942

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk