Author Topic: Rockcastle Rimfire Challenge - Retirement Kickoff  (Read 5863 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
Re: Rockcastle Rimfire Challenge - Retirement Kickoff
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 10:15:10 PM »
I have the 10/22 I built out end of last year.  Super light Hogue stock and Tac sol barrel.

My range has two sets of 8" plates on a bay.  I practice variations with them at 20 yds.

Left to right.  Right to left.
Every other one one way then back the other on the remaining.
Outer to inner, alternating left to right and visa versa.
Finally, more for fun, double tap each one.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 06:08:47 AM »
Les I'm sorry, I was checkin' on Al...but you having been a competitor I am all ears to what you are doing too and what you can recommend!

Sounds like a good setup Al.  Maybe set up some competition sized square plates made with cardboard painted white....you won't get the sound but having that third plate may be a help.  Putting them far and near is good but with a third plate (or more cardboard cut-outs) you could really drive yourself by putting one of those 8' plates far and everything else near.....at least that's what killed me having 3 or 4 near and one far.  Just my 2 cents....

So Al...do you have an aftermarket trigger and a compensator?  I have an old first generation compensator on a 1st generation Tacsol (yep....let me rub it in to everyone again...I won it on this board...did you hear that Mike?  ;D ) and it really helps keep me on target.  Though the compensator expands the groups some.

I did pick up a tri-mag coupler a few years ago when they moved the RRC to Tulsa out of Colorado one year.  That worked well for me if you have some 10 shot restrictions to consider.  They are $15-25 buckaroos...and I bet they are better now because it was a bit of a trick to get them in the coupler I have. 

Are you using optics or iron sights? 

Yes I spilled coffee on me in the middle of this post and I had to come back and fix it...just in case some of you read the abbreviated version and wondered what was wrong with me....
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 872
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 07:32:00 AM »
I hear ya ... But, at least you share the fun.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 10:56:26 AM »
random thoughts on setting up a 10/22...

get one with an aluminum trigger group if you don't plan on after market....simply radius grinding off the base of the hammer where the step is, reduces sear engagement of a stock trigger... round the plunger of the trigger return spring to smoothly track across the rear of the trigger

if you mount a dot directly on top of the aluminum receiver, make sure you check for tightness.. loctite... after the first year at STC all three team guns were loose with Leupold mounts.... then drilled and tapped for a cantilever mount off barrel... no problems since

first year used a factory custom stock without barrel band and Clark .930" fluted barrel.... cut to 18" after year one, switched to a thumb hole Fajen stock with section of cheek piece cut out so I could get my head more vertical

inexpensive trick using factory barrel is to shorten chamber end of barrel about .020" and re cut the chamber

if you have occasional flyers, limit the vertical travel of the firing pin

if possible reduce head space of bolt... IIRC don't go below .045" (don't trust me on this)

the best addition I added was a harmonic barrel tuner... piece of 1 1/4" aluminum round stock about 3" long, bored .930 with a lengthwise slit and pinch cross screw.... shoot group, move slightly, shoot group... you can watch the groups open and tighten.... this saved on trying multitude of ammo

I full length bedded the barrel and added a second mounting screw.... don't think this is necessary with the RC

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 05:09:40 PM »
Yes I spilled coffee on me in the middle of this post and I had to come back and fix it...just in case some of you read the abbreviated version and wondered what was wrong with me....

;D

I'm using stock trigger and no comp on the 10/22.   I'm not sure I'm missing anything yet.
The 22/45 does have the deVang comp because I like the damping effect. 

Optics on both the 22/45 and the 10/22.     If I had built out a second 10/22 with iron sights I'd enter both divisions.

I have 3 large orange plasticy type of swingers that I could take out and put at a different distance.  No reason I can't paint them white.  Good idea to work varying distances.

I could go to our regular action pistol range and break out a real steel set, but that sounds like work.

Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:44:30 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 05:27:25 PM »
random thoughts on setting up a 10/22...

Les, your thoughts are far from random and much to detailed and intense for simple ol' me.

You know better, but I'm a free float guy.  And I'm loving the Hogue plastic stock.  I haven't shot this light weight one from the bench yet, maybe this weekend, but braced standing it shows great promise.  It was shot standing but holding the rifle against the side wall of the shooting lane (indoors)

My varmint 10/22 (heavy barrel, free float) right of the box, embarrasses most bolt action rifles.

Here are 3 groups at 50yds, bench rest on calm day. This is from the box, with the exception of a thumb hole stock and a good scope.  It will only do this CCI Standard ammo.   I don't want to change anything about this rifle.

Will work for ammo

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 08:33:11 PM »
Am I the only one not seeing the pictures?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1087
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2018, 10:46:53 PM »
Am I the only one not seeing the pictures?

Yep. You're missing the big picture.  ;)
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2018, 03:36:23 PM »
Concerned about the Rimfire Challenge.   As of this afternoon only 6 people have registered and the MD hasn't approved anyone to shoot.   Maybe rimfire people aren't use to using Practiscore and there'll be a lot of morning-of registrations.   Oh well it'll be a nice vaca for Miss Kitty and I regardless.  I might take one or more CF guns just in case there's something else to shoot up there.

Rearranging things and got all the ammo out of the safe and into my "ammo locker".  I didn't realize how much .22 I had accumulated.   I know i'm a piker compared to some but I'm thinking 2,500+ gets me in the club.

Will work for ammo

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 872
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2018, 06:57:41 PM »
Just went and looked at the website, and I am pleased to see there are some ranges that participate within a day's journey (to - event - home again).  Now, time to get the guns back in my hands.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk