Author Topic: re thinking my home defense 870  (Read 15227 times)

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: re thinking my home defense 870
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 06:05:35 AM »
I purposely bought a 14" Mossberg Shockwave instead of the Remington just so I wouldn't be tempted  :)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 08:11:07 AM »
I think I'm done with the 870... <snip>

Really?  Whaddya' want for it??   ;D 8) ;D

Sometimes a couple of inches makes a big difference. Size does matter. <snip>

What a tee up....I just can't go after that one...too easy.   :o

I love my 870's.  They are for hunting...no adaption for home defense.  IF I had a shotgun for home defense (other than my Stoeger coach gun) I would want to go with something that had the safety where it was handy...like on that Mossberg.  Pro's and con's...I know...having a safety there at the trigger means I don't have to train on, say, the Mossberg I'd be used to the safety at the trigger but I like the idea of having my thumb on the safe to move smooth.

Les...any thoughts on that?   Of course...I see you have a Shockwave....
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 09:30:43 AM »
I have found I prefer a pistol grip on defensive shotguns....they just give more control, recoil and otherwise, and a more secure hold on the gun...but with a pistol grip stock installed, the thumb safety, like on the Mossberg 500 becomes cumbersome...you need to change your grip to operate it.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 06:25:33 PM »
I have a Vang Comp Dome Head Safety Switch on my Remington. It's the cheapest part they sell at only $15. It fits perfectly as is, but I filed just a bit off the side of the trigger guard behind the head of the safety, so it will still work with a bunch of dirt between the 2 parts. It sticks out far enough that I can depress the safety as I put my finger on the trigger, with a standard or pistol grip stock. It fits the 870, 1100, and 11-87, 12 gauge or 20 gauge, and also Remington pump action rifles. I don't know it would fit their semi-auto rifles.

They also make a Big Speed Safety Switch for Mossberg shotguns for $35. It fits pumps and semi-autos but, not the Maverick 88 which has a cross-bolt safety. Mossberg makes tactical Maverick 88 Security models, including one with a top-folding stock.

https://vangcomp.com/product/vcs-remington-dome-head-safety/

https://vangcomp.com/product/vcs-mossberg-big-speed-safety/

http://www.mossberg.com/product/maverick-88-security-w-top-folding-stock-31027/
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 10:36:36 PM »
Rastus... one of the reasons I got the Mossberg Shockwave was that I really have never handled a 590 and kind of wondered how they compared to the 870s...after the first range session with the Shockwave, I added a hand strap to keep it located in my hand...I kind of like the rear position for the Mossberg''s bolt release... the Shockwave is kind of an ongoing evaluation, and may one day find a home in the Tacoma, but more likely a range toy,... if society gets a little more crazy, an AR pistol might find a job as a ride along

I shot Rem1100/1187s for about 25 years for 3 gun, and changed to a Benelli M1S90 in 2006, all with standard style stocks and safeties in relatively the same place to the rear of the trigger, so operating the safety is pretty much a reflex by now.... but for a new shooter, the thumb position for the Mossberg would be an asset... the 870 in question was built as a game gun for Heavy Metal 3 gun division... I really never shot a big match with it... too cheap to shoot the AR10 (7.62x51) due to the cost of ammo... regards

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:35:59 AM »

Lucky1

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2018, 07:58:06 AM »
I'm new to this board but would like to contribute. I'm retired law enforcement, 29+ years and a vet. I have an assortment of home defense options including two German Shepherds. Two years ago we had an attempted home invasion however, when the thugs came to the front door, the dogs hit the door like a pack of wolves and the bad guys took off. Absolutely the best home defense weapon I could have. Having said that, I keep a loaded 9mm on the night stand beside my bed, along with a 400 lumen flashlight and a fully loaded RIA VR60 nearby. I just picked the VR60 up a few weeks ago and have run the heck out of it to make sure it's 100% reliable. After 350-400 rounds of everything from birdshot to buckshot, I am satisfied it is reliable. It will only run birdshot low brass with the low power gas piston, everything else used the high pressure piston. It came with one five round magazine and one nine round mag at my local Rural King. I purchased another four 9 round mags. from Tombstone tactical. I keep the mags loaded with #4 buchshot and the mags are all next to the shotgun. We live in the country, and with the dogs, there is no chance of anyone getting close to the house without us knowing about it. I can position myself so as to defend the doors from one area of the house and the shotgun is my best option. My wife is a accomplished shooter as well and she is a great backup. I love the VR60 and also have a second 12 ga. semi auto made in Turkey and it runs great. Call me paranoid if you wish but, I keep the second shotgun loaded with Ficcochi low recoil buckshot.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2018, 11:41:33 AM »
Welcome aboard, Lucky1, glad to have you! We have always welcomed input, especially practical input from actual hands-on experience.

I've only saw a video or two of the VR60, but it looks like a beast in familiar clothing. The operational familiarity between an AR15 and the VR60 would make a great combo.

As to being paranoid, in the world we live in today, there ain't no such thing. Having back-up home defense weapons is always a good thing.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Lucky1

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2018, 08:04:50 PM »
Welcome aboard, Lucky1, glad to have you! We have always welcomed input, especially practical input from actual hands-on experience.

I've only saw a video or two of the VR60, but it looks like a beast in familiar clothing. The operational familiarity between an AR15 and the VR60 would make a great combo.

As to being paranoid, in the world we live in today, there ain't no such thing. Having back-up home defense weapons is always a good thing.
Thank you sir, I enjoy reading the posts, informative. I really do like the VR60 and for the reasons you mentioned. It is a beast with buck shot. I added a forward grip horizontally to help in keeping it on target. Tried to post a photo and got this.

Error 500!

/forum/index.php
Internal Server Error!

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2018, 10:06:53 PM »
Lucky1... welcome... if you want to extend your range, I get good luck with Fiocchi Aero 7/8oz slugs out of my 21" Benelli... shoots better than 3" at 70yds...

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2018, 10:29:18 PM »
On some forums you need to make 10 or 20 posts before you can post pictures. I don't know if this is one of them. It's to cut down on people spamming the forum with advertisements. I like your choice of #4 Buck for your shotgun Lucky1. That's my choice too in my Remington with no choke at all. The way I see it, more pellets = more chances of hitting your target. I don't know if a half dozen or so #4s, or #3s in a 20 gauge, are any more lethal or less lethal than a single 00 or 000 Buck, but they make more holes that can bleed. I figure that's a good thing.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk