Author Topic: re thinking my home defense 870  (Read 15226 times)

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
re thinking my home defense 870
« on: May 16, 2018, 10:26:25 PM »
I've been watching a lot of Clint Smith's vids on YouTube, many of which are thought provoking as I age... I've been a competitive practical shooter for 35+ years.... it dawned on me that I needed to change  my mind set as I take on the persona of old frail guy victim....I perceive more random acts of violence, some of which are close to home... I've recently upgraded to IWB carry any time I leave the house...

a shoulder injury forced me to give up the 870 a couple of years ago, but as I've recuperated I've spent the last couple of days making it in Clint's image of a home defense shotgun...it is 21" vent rib 12ga with chokes..., I removed the extended mag tube to keep the weight off the front, added a sling stud to the end cap and stock...added a sling... it has a side saddle and Choate fore end... added a light mount to the barrel to clean up the fore end...ran a box of light loads through it today, reloading into chamber and mag with my left hand.... I've always used my dominant hand for 3 gun loading the Benelli... regards

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
Re: re thinking my home defense 870
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 12:10:27 AM »
I rethought using any shotgun around the house. I have a Remington Sportsman 12 Auto, a plain Jane version of the Model 1100 in 12 gauge. This was before Rem-Chokes, so I bought a 26" Hastings barrel with 3 interchangeable chokes. After that I cut the 28" modified choke barrel down to a fraction over 18". I tried to keep the new end of the vent rib the same distance from the new muzzle as is was originally. It turned out quite well IMO. I added a Choate stock with a pistol grip, 2-round mag extension and mag clamp, swivels and sling. I'm right handed and if I loop the sling over my head to my left shoulder and hold the muzzle down with my left hand, I can pump out out 7 rounds from the hip very fast, and in the general direction I want all that lead to go. After hearing that a few times a guy at a neighboring cabin later asked me if that was a .22. I laughed and told him no that was a 12 gauge and he couldn't believe I could shoot it that fast. I can also shoot it one-handed. That's something I wouldn't be able to do with a pump. Even wounded Sarah Connor needed both hands to shoot a pump action.

All that being said, any shotgun is too unwieldy around the house, and most of them are way too long. I had a Mossberg Model 500 Bullpup with an 18.5" barrel. It would fit through most doorways sideways. The length was okay for a shotgun but it was even heavier than a regular 12 gauge. Not to mention that it handled like a suitcase. An overly heavy, ugly, tactical suitcase. I decided a handgun was the only kind of house gun that made sense for me. Enter the 14-round Para-Ordnance .45 ACP. Something I can easily handle one or two-handed, is quick to reload, and more accurate than I need it to be. Any shot I take in my house would be 10 feet max unless I was shooting into another room. With a sufficienctly long bushing style compensator, you can easily rack the slide by pressing it against any solid object, like a wall. My first one was an el cheapo similar to the one in the link, but maybe longer.

https://www.fusionfirearms.com/1911-colt-style-gov-compensator-barrel-bushing-style-silver
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 06:09:59 AM »
Well Les maybe part of the path of the old frail man thing (which I too am contemplating...) will be to tone down that 12 gauge thing to a 20 gauge.  In the 1960's Remington made the 20 gauge on a 12 gauge frame....which may make finding parts easier if you can find one of the 20's from that time. 

I'm also looking at a Zenith Z-5 pistol ( https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/h-k-uzi-s-mac-10/zenith-firearms.html ) just because.  I'm liking the ZENITH Z-5RS SB RAIL model just because...I'd like it even better if in 10MM or 45.  Not exactly a 1911 pattern but it may grow on you.

Another consideration...if you don't have a dog get one or two get one.  My wife raises little foo-foo dogs that won't be much help in a fight but they are heck of alarms.  And, a half dozen ankle biters will slow down a bad guy but if for nothing else than tripping on them.  Seriously...anyone getting around or in the house will be "ratted out" which will help balance the playing field in my direction. 

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 11:26:06 AM »
My mom has a black Lab that hears everything, and can make herself heard. Her loud bark would be more of a deterrent than the yip, yip, yip of a little dog. It's better to have a big dog scare them away than a little dog let you know someone is in the house. I got a dog for my wife. It was the best trade I ever made. My problem with dogs it how bad it hurts to lose your constant companion.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 03:49:27 PM »
My wife raises little foo-foo dogs that won't be much help in a fight but they are heck of alarms. 

Yep.  My beloved, Bijon,  Whitney White-out, would make sure to sound the alarm if a leaf fell in the yard at 2am.

At my sister's house.

In Maine

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:03:52 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 05:03:28 PM »
Add portholes at strategic locations around the house and you'll be all set.

https://imgur.com/gallery/3uJoRxv

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 06:10:12 PM »
Any thoughts on the 870DM for home defense?

It would increase rounds available while avoiding a heavy front load, and a spare maq would would put it well beyond the capabilities of a regular 870 for sustained fire.

A mag fed semi-auto, such as the Sagia-12, for those who don't like the sound of a pump shotgun chambering.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 10:40:15 PM »
A mag fed shotgun with a couple of extra mags makes a lot of sense to me, as long as it's reliable. You could even have an extra mag in every room of the house for quick reloads if the S Really HTF. No one should hear you chambering a round in your shotgun no matter what kind it is. There should already be a round in it.

If this guy got the kinks worked out of his belt-fed shotgun it would be a great "get the he** off my lawn" weapon. Not so practical around the house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa9inSZvMsk

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 06:49:08 PM »
I think I'm done with the 870... I changed my 21" barrel (it had originally been built as a game gun) out for a fixed IC Police18 1/2 Parkerized one from Midway...it was a little larger in size than the cut down vent rib barrel so had to slightly Dremel out the front Choate grip...added the SureFire Scout light from the prize table a Ft Benning....the 3" seems to make a difference in feel... regards

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 11:28:39 PM »
Sometimes a couple of inches makes a big difference. Size does matter. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. After I cut almost 10 inches off my shotgun barrel and put the +2 mag extension on, it may not have been lighter but it was handier. It's still too big around the house IMO with a an 18-18.5 inch barrel. I would have about a 14" barrel on it if it wasn't for the paperwork involved. If my dreams came true, I would wake up with a Benelli M4 Tactical 14" barrel 12GA in my gun safe.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk