Author Topic: Remington R1 hunter 10mm long slide  (Read 4915 times)

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Remington R1 hunter 10mm long slide
« on: May 13, 2018, 12:03:22 PM »
Does anyone know of a source for a flat wire recoil spring for a Remington 1911 R1 hunter, 10mm, 6 inch barrel, long slide, 22-24 #?
I have tried all the usual sources, Fusion, Wilson, Brownells, Remington (Para) with no success.
Some of the springs available say it would be for a 5 or 6 inch barrel, but that is not true. They are too short. I need a flat spring because the guide rod is .250".
The reason is because the stock spring is not heavy enough, and the pistol throws brass a country mile (20 feet back, 10 + to the right.
The pistol likes 180 grain bullets at 1240 fps, but you really have to hunt for the brass. I have loaded 165 grain at 1276 fps and it doesn't sling it quite so far. Groups are a bit larger than with 180's.
I would like to go to a heavier spring before I would have to modify the pistol, if necessary.
I am just spoiled with my Glock model 40, because the brass ends up at your feet.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Re: Remington R1 hunter 10mm long slide
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 03:51:18 PM »
Have you tried Wolff? They're the only gun springs I buy. I don't know if they have flat wire springs but they seem to have everything else. I like their variable power recoil springs and 10%XP magazine springs.

https://www.gunsprings.com/
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 04:50:11 PM »
Yes, I have tried Wolff.
They do not make flat springs, and they don't make them for 6 inch long slides.
The guide rod for their springs is .360, so I would have to replace the rod as well as the cap.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 08:45:45 PM »
Call good guys at DoubleTap Ammo http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.php?route=common/home .  I bet they can tell you where to go to find what you need. 

Oh, I guess 10 years ago or so I bought some of their ammo...the owner asked me what I was shooting and gave me a spring for my 10MM because he said I'd need it. 

It's worth a try.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 11:13:13 PM »
Yes, I have tried Wolff.
They do not make flat springs, and they don't make them for 6 inch long slides.
The guide rod for their springs is .360, so I would have to replace the rod as well as the cap.

If they won't make one to fit there are businesses that custom make all kinds of springs, except maybe flat wire springs. If you wanted a regular round wire spring it wouldn't be a problem to get them made to your specifications in your choice of a few different kinds of steel.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:13:38 AM »

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 10:01:47 AM »
Thank you for your advise.
I called double tap, but they do not have any recoil springs for the Remington.
So the search is still on.
Thanks

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 05:21:30 PM »
Sorry that did not work out for you.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 06:09:58 PM »
Sprinco Recoil Management Guide Rod System, Part Number 11264, 1911 6" COR-BON (+P+), Includes Bushing Plug and Hex Wrench, for $109.95, may be a solution to the problem. "The COR-BON model utilizes a stronger subspring in order to compensate for hot, +P+ loads. A shooter should only use a COR-BON recoil reducer if he/she intends to exclusively shoot MAXIMUM POWER FACTOR +P+ ammo. The .40 Super, .45 Super, .400 COR-BON, and full house 10mm loads would also fit into this category. If you are using one of the fine Clark .460 1911 Rowland Conversion packages, special considerations apply, and we have a designated system for use with their conversion package." They sell recoil springs and should have the right replacements for it. I can find .250" I.D. flat wire springs, like that 10mm one at Wilson's, but only in 5". So far this is the only thing I can find that would work.

http://www.sprinco.com/recoil.html

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 12:11:50 PM »
Thank you for your information!
I called Sprinco, and gave them my wants.
They will get back to me today.  They said they can do for a 6 inch barrel.
So, here's hoping.
The load I am shooting is Hornady XTP and HAP bullets
with 13.2 of AA9. Acording to LoadData my velocity of 1265 out of a 6 inch
is right in the ball park.
So, here is hoping that with their parts I won't have to chase brass as much.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 03:44:57 PM »
Springfield Armory has a 6" 10mm but I don't know if their recoil spring would work, or where to find out. I didn't see any parts on their website. Les Baer also makes a 6" 10mm, but I don't see recoil springs on their parts list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk