Author Topic: Getting A Building Permit  (Read 9239 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Getting A Building Permit
« on: May 01, 2018, 07:10:28 AM »
I mentioned a while ago that I had my driveway widened. Now I want to wall it in, and install a locking RV Gate so I'll have more storage area. (All 3 of my neighbors have done this). So I called my HOA expecting a nightmare. They were actually quite easy to deal with, and gave me a written letter of approval in less than a week.

So yesterday I drove downtown to apply for, and get a building permit from the City Of Phoenix. Mind you all I want to do is extend the existing block wall along my property line to within 10 feet of the front of the house, (which is the closest allowed). And gate it off. That's it.

The first nit wit I had to deal with spent a half hour trying to tell me the dimension from the front property line to the front of the house was missing on the drawing. I told him the house has been there for the last 20 years. And I assured him that I have not moved it since. And politely informed him I was building the wall along side the house, and not in front of it. He finally approved what I want to do, and sent me to the second guy who actually issues the permit.

This nit wit issued the permit 3 TIMES, with either the wrong name or address on it. (Both were on the drawing I submitted). It literally took him almost an HOUR to finally get it right! Unbelievable. Finally, I got sent to the, "Payment Division", who took my money...... All $234.00 of it. She was the only one there who actually knew what she was doing. (The one move every city has down pat is collecting money).

By the time I got back to my car, the parking meter had only 6 minutes left on it. I put 2 hours worth of quarters in it to be on the safe side. I was glad I did, or I would have had a parking ticket added on to everything else.

The only joy I had, is there were literally thousands of teachers in red tee shirts marching downtown for more pay. While waiting for the light to change to cross the street, one of them asked me if I, "supported their position". I asked her who was teaching the kids while they were all out in the Sun in shorts and tee shirts, bitching and moaning for more money? (The Phoenix Public Schools are all closed, because they all called in sick). She just looked at me completely bewildered. Jesus Christ what a day. I was never so glad to get home!

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Getting A Building Permit
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 08:05:28 AM »
Welcome too my world.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 09:31:57 AM »
It is likely that the money collectors in a government agency are the most capable employees on the payroll....they have to be able to make change.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 09:53:09 AM »
What's really fun is when you go through plan approval, they say make these changes. You make the changes, it gets denied again and they tell you to go back to how it originally was. You should be able to call them out on it but you can't. Meanwhile you have to pay the fees again and it can take sometimes months to get an answer from them. When I was in Sacramento it was not uncommon to have a simple addition take 14 months to get approved. The worst I ever had was 46 months. There was 7 revisions and an additional $19,000. On average in the city of Sacramento it was costing about $75 a square foot just for fees design and permits yes. I can build you a pretty decent house for $75 a square foot. It would always crack me up and politicians would complain about the lack of affordable housing. Well maybe if you didn't charge approximately 75% of the build cost people might actually built affordable housing.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 10:22:15 AM »
What's funny is I was there almost 2 hours, and no one asked me one single question pertinent to the construction of the wall or gate itself..... Which I expected. For example. How deep are you going to pour the footing? How wide? What PSI concrete are you going to be using on said footing? What size and length rebar? What are the dimensions of the cinder block you will be using? Will they match what already exists? Who is the manufacturer of the gate? What are the dimensions? How will it be fastened to the wall itself?

That I could understand, and expect. But that would take common sense. Instead nothing. This city has block walls and gates in homes in most every subdivision built in the last 40 years. You would think they would have preprinted pamphlets stating exactly what is required for both materials and dimensions, in order to remain within code, and keep construction consistent and uniform. But no. Instead they question dimensions that have already been permitted and established over 20 years ago. And that have absolutely nothing to do with the project at hand. Idiots all.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:08:01 AM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 11:58:01 AM »
To be fair all that stuff is in the codes, but still you would think they would ask what kind of block, split face, bond beam, slump, 4, 6, 8 and things like top cap or rounded.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 03:18:50 PM »
I feel for you guys.
The county I live in is one of the worst to deal with in south Ga for permits and building code red tape (nepotism abounds in the county inspector's & permit office and they are all idiots) but nothing compared to what you have to endure.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 03:58:19 PM »
Fortunately, I guess, in Cobb County it's all about increasing the Tax Digest.   So if you want to improve your homestead and it's obvious it'll increase the valuation then they're pretty much all for it.   Not that they don't have their procedures and codes, but they do try to move improvements along.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 04:18:58 PM »
AFAIK no one in my family has ever been in an HOA and only needed building permits to build whatever they wanted to. No one had any say in it when I got a new shed or tilled up part of my yard and planted a garden. I think I was supposed to get a building permit for my privacy fence, but the guys who installed it didn't ask if I had a permit, and I didn't ask them if I needed one. In Michigan we can dial 811 and someone will come out and mark all the underground electric and gas lines etc. with different colors for each type.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 04:40:33 PM »
USA is pretty much everywhere.  I call them at least twice a week.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk