Author Topic: Sticks and stones vs. active shooters  (Read 3467 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1085
Sticks and stones vs. active shooters
« on: April 11, 2018, 01:35:37 PM »
A Pennsylvania school district decided to arm teachers with 16" wooden toy baseball bats in the event of an active shooter. Schools Superintendent William Hall said that the sticks were largely symbolic — a "last resort" for teachers who want to fight back, not just hide and wait. Their last resort is also their primary defensive weapon.

I'm sure we've all heard about a different school district in Pennsylvania that said it would give buckets of river rocks to teachers, to potentially ward off school shooters. Between the 2 school districts, Pennsylvania teachers now have sticks and stones to fight off active shooters. If I was in one of those schools and some one was shooting the place up, I would feel a lot safer if most of the teachers and staff were packing heat.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pennsylvania-school-district-gives-teachers-small-baseball-bats-last-resort-n864986
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1436
Re: Sticks and stones vs. active shooters
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 02:50:46 PM »
Once the stupidity starts it is hard to stop. If it reaches critical mass we're in trouble.   Oops too late.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 03:59:40 PM »
and the rocks were a "better" idea...a ranged weapon and more than one of the on hand....

Sigh...Make the old line...Never bring a knife to a gun fight ...seem like it was faking fun of an even better choice ...
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 06:49:33 AM »
So the Mayor of London called and said, "Hold my beer, willya."

They've managed to top our stupidity and then some with the #KnifeFree garbage.

Attached is the best meme so far.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 11:02:22 AM »
One day they will realize that hands are used in the vast majority, of not all, crimes of violence and otherwise.  The obvious solution will be to ban then.  Some countries have already realize that and the penalty for, say, theft is the lose of a hand. 

England is working hard to to reach that level of society.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:38:59 PM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 02:04:31 PM »
We just need to ban hurting each other.  There prob solved, oh wait we all ready have that.  I guess we need to ban hurting people on purpose then
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 11:22:10 PM »
Years ago I saw homicide statistics in the U.S. broken down by type of weapon used. #1 was bare hands. #2 was blunt objects. I'm not sure of the exact order for sharp objects, firearms, poison, etc., but guns were definitely not in the top 2.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 05:00:03 PM »
Years ago I saw homicide statistics in the U.S. broken down by type of weapon used. #1 was bare hands. #2 was blunt objects. I'm not sure of the exact order for sharp objects, firearms, poison, etc., but guns were definitely not in the top 2.

Indeed so.
And if you go a step farther and look at deaths from all causes recorded in the US (latest I saw was from 2016, IIRC) guns weren't even in the top ten. That's a lot of sweepin' around other back doors before we get to guns as a problem.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 06:09:25 PM »
Indeed so.
And if you go a step farther and look at deaths from all causes recorded in the US (latest I saw was from 2016, IIRC) guns weren't even in the top ten. That's a lot of sweepin' around other back doors before we get to guns as a problem.

Top 10 causes of death, from the CDC, 2016.

1.   Heart disease: 633,842
2.   Cancer: 595,930
3.   Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 155,041
4.   Accidents (unintentional injuries): 146,571
5.   Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 140,323
6.   Alzheimer’s disease: 110,561
7.   Diabetes: 79,535
8.   Influenza and pneumonia: 57,062
9.   Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 49,959
10. Intentional self-harm (suicide): 44,193

I guess they forgot about the real #3 killer, medical errors, which kill 250,000-440,000 people a year.

Final data for 2015. National Vital Statistics Reports, Vol. 66, No. 6, November 27, 2017:
Accidental discharge of firearms: 489

Selected from a list of the top 50 causes of death in the U.S.
17. Road Traffic Accidents: 39,973
18. Falls: 34,670
36. Alcohol: 9,408
37. Diarrhoeal diseases: 9,332
42. Skin Disease: 4,925
48. Peptic Ulcer Disease: 3,172
50. Anaemia: 2,882

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/usa-cause-of-death-by-age-and-gender

You're 19 times more likely to die from diarrhea than the accidental discharge of a firearm.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 07:09:21 PM »
it seems peculiar that no one has advocated for the arming of teachers / school personnel with OC spray or foam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk