Author Topic: Question For TAB  (Read 6871 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: Question For TAB
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 02:24:45 PM »
I most likely won't park on it for a good month. Why push it? I've lived without it for 20 years. So another month isn't going to kill me.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 03:46:41 PM »
I tell people 2 weeks min.  Month is better
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 872
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 05:38:31 PM »
In the funeral business, the burial vaults are strength rated based on mix and standard seven day cure.  However, they are tested at much stronger, because even though they are installed at seven days, the day after the pour they are coated and sealed with an asphalt product, and prior to installation they are painted.  This coating and sealing, combined with full earth burial between seven and 14 days slows the cure and increases the actual strength.

Up here in snow country our biggest concern with fresh concrete is chloride.  Road deicers (salt and calcium chloride) harm the product.  It is best to protect fresh concrete from these items for a 12 month minimum.  When we built the funeral home we poured the drive apron and entry way in September.  Even though the concrete was sealed at pour and again with another agent 30 days later, the drive apron was heavily spalled within a couple weeks of the first heavy snow from the salt mix the city threw on the roads.  Even though we tried to avoid all deicers on the entry platform and back garage platform, the tracked and dripped deicers created slight spalling.  I avoided it in the garage.  I attribute that to that floor being poured in early summer, and that the garage was heated and I washed the vehicles in there.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 05:47:11 PM »
The reason why calcium chloride is a problem, it interrupts the silicon dioxide calcium carbonate reaction that actually produces concrete. Basically what happens is it binds to the calcium from the chloride instead of the carbonate

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 06:10:54 AM »
I tell people 2 weeks min.  Month is better

That's what we always promulgated when we poured driveways when I was a kid. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 01:38:47 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 09:00:16 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good concrete sealer that will protect from automotive oil drippings soaking into and staining the concrete? If I'm going to do it, I would just as soon do it after it cures, and before I start using it. That way I can eliminate the cleaning, pressure washing, etc.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 10:15:34 AM »
Is there a moisture  barrier underneath It? If not, no sealer will hold up.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 10:50:32 AM »
Is there a moisture  barrier underneath It?

If you mean like plastic sheeting or woven material, no. Just a layer of gravel. That's all they use out here.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 02:41:55 PM »
No sealer is going too stick then. Depending on the air entrapment  it may let water right thru.  You said it was 3500 psi,  which is a standard rating in strength, but does not say much about the mix itself.   One would assume it's 1/2 stone, and 6% air entrapment which is the industry  standard for a drive way.   

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1087
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 02:48:23 PM »
If you mean like plastic sheeting or woven material, no. Just a layer of gravel. That's all they use out here.

When I had my driveway extended we put down a lot of sand and no gravel. I wonder which is better?
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk