Author Topic: Volkswagen Jetta vs. Toyota Corolla ??  (Read 17087 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: Volkswagen Jetta vs. Toyota Corolla ??
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2018, 07:48:15 AM »
Still though that leaves a pretty good range of makes available.

Such as?

Subaru..... More expensive for anything comparable. Too few dealers who don't deal.

Honda..... Same no deal dealers, but more of them.

Mazda...... Same deal, but add ugly to the equation, along with crappy, cheap looking interiors with that stupid pop up information screen, that works like a jack-in-the-box every time you start the car.

Chrysler..... plenty of dealers. Not many models. Their CVT Transmissions, (the only type of automatic that's available in these compacts), have questionable reliability.

Mercedes, BMW...... Overpriced and problem plagued. Not to mention they depreciate faster than day after sex from a paid whore once they're out of warranty.

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2018, 07:54:02 AM »
I asked my pals at Complete Auto Parts what they would recommend. 

They said they never sell any Subaru parts.  Ever.

Probably worth an extra few bucks for that kind of reliability.

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Timothy

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2018, 09:04:07 AM »
Over 45 years, from my ‘65 Mustang to my ‘14 Escape and seven more in between, I have more than 1,000,000 miles driven with one incident of a breakdown on my Fords!

It was my 15 year old PU whose break lines finally rotted out last year..  I replaced them and I still drive it every day!

I cannot say that about any other brand I’ve owned...

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2018, 01:07:14 PM »
I've been following my this tread from afar.

I can't believe it's come down to this.   Like discussing whether to buy a Jennings or FIE. 

Really Jetta vs Corolla?   Those are the best choices?

I will admit I have psychological hangups about certain cars.

Chevrolet:  My grade school nemesis's father owned the local Chevy dealer.  WILL NEVER OWN A GM.
Toyota:  I can't get it out of my head that the first three letters spell "toy"  and not in a good way.
VW:  Cheap hippy cars, but I'd love one of the old pickup trucks or a Carmen Gia.
FORD:  Found On the Road Dead  or Fix Or Repair Daily

Still though that leaves a pretty good range of makes available.

FORD = F***ing Old Rebuilt Dodge.  ;)

ETA: When I was a teenager a family I knew had 2 Ford products. They were a Lincoln Continental and a Ford Pinto if I'm not mistaken. I can't recall ever seeing both of them in the driveway at once, because one or the other was always in the shop being repaired. Sometimes there was nothing in the driveway because both were in the shop at the same time.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2018, 01:52:28 PM »
I asked my pals at Complete Auto Parts what they would recommend. 

They said they never sell any Subaru parts.  Ever.

Probably worth an extra few bucks for that kind of reliability.

Crusader Rabbit
there are 3 reasons for this.

Most of the people  that own them would never dream of getting their hands dirty
Most of the parts are dealer only
When awd  spider gear let's go, you junk it as repairs can be 10k
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 04:29:17 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2018, 02:12:05 PM »
there are 3 reasons for this.

Most of the people  that own them would never dream of getting their hands dirty
Most of the parts are dealer only

When awd  spider gear let's go, you junk it as repairs can be 10k

Very true TAB. And another thing is a very large percentage of Subaru's are leased, (i.e. rented). Subaru offers good lease incentives. Assuming one actually believes leasing to be a "good" option  in the first place.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2018, 02:21:56 PM »
Here is another part of this whole deal where I might make out good. Earlier this week I got rear ended. The only damage was my rear bumper got bent down slightly. I used a 20 ton hydraulic jack to bend it back into position. It doesn't look bad at all.

Believe it or not the body shop estimated the damage at $1,918.00! I just called Farmers, (the insurance company that's handling everyone's claim), and the girl told me as soon as she gets the estimate and photo's from the body shop, she'll cut the check to me, and I can pay the body shop for the repairs.

No way I'm going to put almost $2K into the thing. I'll wash it and doll it up and put a sign on it in front of my house for $1,800.00. That plus the $1,918.00 check from Farmers brings the total to just a tad over $3,700.00.

That's $3,700.00 less I have to shell out for whatever new car I buy. If someone offered me $1,500.00 for it, I would probably take it. I doubt a dealer would give me anything for it in trade. Maybe a few hundred, if that. So this rear end job may all work out to my advantage. It was as if the hand of God smacked the ass of my truck!

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2018, 02:45:20 PM »
Very true TAB. And another thing is a very large percentage of Subaru's are leased, (i.e. rented). Subaru offers good lease incentives. Assuming one actually believes leasing to be a "good" option  in the first place.
leasing has its advantages  for business owners mainly.   You get too write off 100% of the cost rather than depreciation.  Which can be better for you.  I for example lease my mini dump truck.  It costs me the same as a payment, but I only have to buy tires and fuel.  I can also write off 100% of that cost, where as if I bought  it, only 40%. So at the end of the day it costs me nothing, but insurance too have it. 
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2018, 03:12:15 PM »
leasing has its advantages  for business owners mainly.   You get too write off 100% of the cost rather than depreciation.  Which can be better for you.  I for example lease my mini dump truck.  It costs me the same as a payment, but I only have to buy tires and fuel.  I can also write off 100% of that cost, where as if I bought  it, only 40%. So at the end of the day it costs me nothing, but insurance too have it.

For you it's good, but for the average guy it stinks on ice. First you have to come up with an "Acquisition Fee". Which is nothing more than a down payment you'll never see again. Then you have to make the payments until the lease ends. Then you have to give the car back, and either walk home or else lease another one.

And God help you if you go over the allotted mileage, or get a stain on the seats, or a dent in the body. You'll be assessed and penalized for everything. It's basically a car payment that never ends.

Timothy

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2018, 03:23:30 PM »
My mother leased a chitbox Tercel when she was nearing her "senile" years.  She had no idea she'd done so because the dealer probably took advantage of her since she was alone with no kids nearby to assist in the transaction.  She drove the car for 3 years, the lease term, and made all her payments, did all her maintenance etc...  When she made her 36th payment, on time, she "thought" she owned the car.

A few months later the dealer called demanding her car which lit the old lady up and she marched over there with every friggin cancelled check she wrote on thing...

Long story but in the end, my brother went to her bank, got a cashiers check to pay off the damn thing and settled it with the dealer.  Ma never knew or understood the entire transaction.  In her mind, she taught 'em a lesson!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk