Author Topic: NovX ammo ad lies, big time.  (Read 4485 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
NovX ammo ad lies, big time.
« on: February 25, 2018, 12:12:21 AM »
In American Rifleman magazine NovX ammo has an ad that says their 65 grain 9mm+P ARX at 1,710 FPS generates 422 ft/lbs of energy. Maybe, maybe not, but they say that's more powerful than a .45ACP+P. There may be a .45 ACP+P load that's slightly less than 422 ft/lbs, but I sure haven't seen it. There are literally dozens of .45 ACP+P loads that are more powerful than that. I have several boxes of CORBON 165 grain .45 ACP+P ammo that has 573 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. Not only is it more power than the NovX load, it's 151 ft/lbs more.

422 ft/lbs is barely more than a standard pressure .45 ACP 185 grain Silvertip at 411 ft/lbs. DoubleTap has a 185 grain .45 ACP Nosler JHP that they say is just shy of a +P rating at 592 ft./lbs. Underwood Ammo has 3 different 185 grain .45 ACP+P loads that are also 592 ft/lbs. So there are 4 loads that are 170 ft/lbs more than the 9mm+P ARX that's supposed to be more powerful. Liberty Ammo's Civil Defense 78 grain .45 ACP+P is an even 600 ft/lbs making it 178 ft/lbs more than the "more powerful" 9mm +P ARX.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
Re: NovX ammo ad lies, big time.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 02:50:44 PM »
On their web page as well

Energy is weighted towards velocity.

http://www.novxammo.com/
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 07:07:44 PM »
Since that page says 230 grain .45 ACP +P I took a quick look for some online. The first thing I saw was Hornady XTP with 461 ft/lbs. Buffalo Bore also has a JHP load with 461 ft/lbs and a FMJ to match. Federal HST is the same exact 461 ft/lbs. CORBON is 461 ft/lbs too. Doubletap has one they say is just shy of +P at 511 ft/lbs. Plus they have another one with a different bullet and the same ballistics. Grizzly Ammo makes a JHP and a FMJ with 471 ft/lbs. Underwood Ammo is 511 ft/lbs for 2 different JHPs and a FMJ. That was all I found in the first 20 sites that came up in my search. Every one of the dozen 230 grain +P loads I found was from 461-511 ft/lbs. Not one is less than 422 ft/lbs like the liars at NovX claim.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 10:41:46 PM »
On another firearm related website it shows a picture of this NovX ammo and on the box it says 1,655 fps instead of 1,710. That brings the ME down to 395 ft/lbs instead of 422. So now it's less than the .45 ACP +P 230 grain load that they claimed was less powerful at 413 ft/lbs. And it's less than some standard pressure .45 ACP loads I've used, like Silvertips that have been around for decades. So much for their claim of their 9mm +P being more powerful than .45 ACP +P, when it's actually less than some standard pressure .45 loads.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 11:57:33 PM »
I took a glance at the March issue of American Rifleman magazine last night. The article about the new SIG P365 had a ballistics table for 3 kinds of ammo. One was this Novx ARX 65 grain 9mm+P. It had 1 more ft/lb of muzzle energy than the non+P SIG V-Crown 124 grain JHP. For a difference of only 1 ft/lb I'd go with the bullet that weighs nearly twice as much, and costs 74 cents per round as opposed to $1.12 per round, both priced at Midway. In round numbers that's 51% more money for 0.3% more power.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:24:12 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 05:44:33 AM »
Gimmick ammo being sold by it's high velocity as some type of advantage..... Which in pistol ammunition isn't. It reminds me of that overpriced "G-2 RIP" ammo with it's fancy, machined segments.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 12:19:55 PM »
Gimmick ammo being sold by it's high velocity as some type of advantage..... Which in pistol ammunition isn't. It reminds me of that overpriced "G-2 RIP" ammo with it's fancy, machined segments.

And people fall head over heels for that crap too.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Timothy

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 03:26:45 PM »
I presume Liberty ammo is much the same???

50 gr 9mm at very high speeds???

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 06:41:09 PM »
That was actually the April issue, and they pointed out that the P365 has bilateral cocking serrations at the front and rear of the slide. I have no idea why they felt the need to let the world know the cocking serrations were on BOTH sides of the slide. Has anyone seen a pistol with cocking serrations on only one side of the slide? I haven't.

High velocity ammo is great in a firearm that can make the most of it. A small daily carry pistol isn't that firearm. If you were packing a 9mm with a 6" barrel it would have more power, but who wants to carry a 6" 9mm? You may as well carry a 10mm if you you want to carry a pistol that big.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 04:24:23 PM »
That was actually the April issue, and they pointed out that the P365 has bilateral cocking serrations at the front and rear of the slide. I have no idea why they felt the need to let the world know the cocking serrations were on BOTH sides of the slide. Has anyone seen a pistol with cocking serrations on only one side of the slide? I haven't.

High velocity ammo is great in a firearm that can make the most of it. A small daily carry pistol isn't that firearm. If you were packing a 9mm with a 6" barrel it would have more power, but who wants to carry a 6" 9mm? You may as well carry a 10mm if you you want to carry a pistol that big.

10 1/2" Super Blackhawk........ go big or go home.  ;D  ;D  ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk