Author Topic: Pocket Pistols  (Read 11830 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Re: Pocket Pistols
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 06:15:25 PM »
Ruger LCR in 38 special or 357 (or 327 for that matter).

Meets your weight constraints and has a really nice trigger.  I love mine.

I dumped my Bond Derringer in 45/.410.  Too heavy for how I carry and I hated the derringer trigger.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 07:35:35 PM »
not with a 2"

Yeah, I just measured my Agent (equal to the Cobra) just a tick over 7" ......but it still disappears in my pocket.

Alf, maybe you need to shop for different pants with a tad deeper pockets. There are some good options for pocket guns that will allow for greater caliber choice, but even if they make the weight requirement, that <6" rule will eliminate most of them. That's what I did after losing some significant weight a couple years ago. When shopping for new pants, I sought a brand with deep enough pockets to conceal a 2" revolver.

Like I posted earlier, I normally carry a NAA mini revolver.....but it is mostly for snakes and such and maybe face-shooting someone if my Glock runs dry.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Timothy

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 08:14:09 PM »
I concur with the Pirate!

My LCR with hot +p was tough to shoot so I bought the Hogue full grip for it that pushes it to about 6-3/4” overall.  I disappears in slacks or loose shorts even with the longer grip.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 09:24:28 PM »
It's not just the pants pockets, but the jacket and vest pockets as well as the ankle holster.   6" length Just doesn't sit fully down in some of these.  And 20oz feels like a concrete block in my ankle holster.

BTW a typical day at work is 10+ Flights of stairs.  That's 16' between floors, no wussy 8' or 11'.  12,000+ steps.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 09:30:45 PM »
Alf...I have a safe full of pocket pistols, or had several... TPH bit me every time I shot it...Beretta M21 very accurate, but overly thick in the grip... NAA mini, much more shoot able when you brace cylinder with weak thumb...Wilkinson Sherry, my first pocket pistol, would carry only with empty chamber...Beretta 950 (.25acp) would rather have one in .22short... PPK overly heavy and terrible trigger...

Ruger SP101... too heavy, SW 640 still heavy... SW442 getting better

KelTec p32 good shooter, but traded for KelTec P3AT (design flaw in the way the trigger is connected to the trigger axis )... my first suggestion is a Ruger LCP (preferably the II... as it has better sights and much better trigger with the lever) it will bark in your hands... best recommendation for a .380 is a Glock 42... very accurate and shoot able...I carried it in a Recluse holster for cargo pants, which also holds my G43

recommendations... if you need tiny, an LCP II with good holster that keeps from printing... I can carry mine in a nylon Columbia flats fishing shirt in the left front pocket... I wear suspenders, so they help keep it in place

for a very shoot able, accurate .380, a Glock G42

for an accurate 9mm Glock 43 with Taran Tactical +2 base pad, that barks pretty well... with 124 +P Gold Dots chrono better than 1130fps

I've switched to IWB with the G43 using a Tulster holster

good luck YMMV

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:35:15 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 09:37:34 PM »
The Kahr CW380 is only 10.2 ounces without a mag in it and 4.96" long. It's just a tad shorter than an LCP or LCP II, and just a bit heavier. It's under 5", barely, while the others are slightly over 5". https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/cw380-cw3833/

ETA: The Glock 42 is 5.94 in. long, almost exactly an inch longer than the Kahr CW380.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 03:49:56 AM »
Is this going to be just a play toy, and not a self defense tool? I ask because I have 2 North American Arms Mini Revolvers, (one in .22 L.R., and one in .22 Magnum), and both are better in a fight than a sharp stick, but not by much. Same with my Bauer .25 Auto Baby Browning copy. The problem when you get that small, these things are all but impossible to hit anything with, at distances any greater than across a card table. And they have less stopping power than a mad woman with a rolling pin.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 05:58:42 AM »
Duuhhhhh.....you said pistol and I was hung up on revolver. 

Get the Ruger LC9.  I carry that when not carrying a full sized HK VP9 or a S&W M&P or a Ruger SR9.

I just measured the LC9 and it comes in at 6".  Weighs not so much and is not too bad to handle when just shooting.  I run it with Liberty Ammunition Civil Defense ammo (+P) which weighs in at 50 grains for the bullet portion which makes this thing a real joy to carry.  Also, the pistol's rounded edges don't snag when you pull it.  I really like this thing more that I ever expected...I bought it more on a lark because I like the color and I don't have one in this color...or size/style.  The LC9 is much easier to handle than an LCP and I really do carry this.  I carry it especially when in summer shorts and I'm going to get a leather IWB made for it because the plastic stuff available is uncomfortable (but cheap).

I have the PPK....a heavy brick and has sharp edges you need to round off.  It's in 380 and not 9MM (unless you call it a 9MM short).  It comes out for range play when James Bond movies are featured on cable....other than that no so much.  It stays in a drawer for defense but not for carry.

Browning BDA 380.  You maybe want to check on this one.  It's in the safe so not handy for me to get to right now and maybe it's not too large but it does weigh a bit being a steel gun.  It also holds 13 rounds if I remember right.  Probably not what you want for weight but you may want it anyway....just because it's sweet.

Les is right about the SP101...though it's fun to shoot. 

I've owned a Taurus titanium plus a couple of other Taurus and I like them for size and feel for shooters.  But...that Ruger LCR has a better trigger and doesn't snag.

My wife has a Kahr PM9.  I have got to say it's a fine little pistol but it is pricey.  It has smooth rounded edges and is great for carry and not bad to handle.  It's never done anything but shoot when we've pulled the trigger.

In fact, to sum it up, I really like a lot what Ruger has in the LC9 and the LCP.  The LCP soaks up a little of the recoil in the frame too.  You know, you can spend a lot more and not get anything as good or better than what Ruger is offering at an affordable price.  Solid performers that are reliable.  Smoothed and rounded edges for carry.  And backed by a strong company that is diversified (unlike Remington). 

Yep.  Go Ruger and buy one of each of the LC9 and LCP.  For the money spent for both you'll probably come in just above or right at just above the price of one of say, the other good one I recommend, the Kahr PM9.  The Browning BDA wins it if you want to up the weight a little to have more than 5-7 rounds available...and it feels best in the hand of all of these.

Remember.  One is none and two is one. 

I'm just sayin'.....
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 08:17:50 AM »
I'll echo some of the thoughts already covered--LCP II.  The .380 may not have all the stopping power of a 9mm, but with that ittybitty gun you are most likely going to be"shooting across a card table" so it shouldn't be a problem.  I have the .380 and I will say it's a jumpy little gun.  It's not something you'll want to spend a day at the range shooting.

If you want to go a little bigger, the SCCY CPX 2 in 9mm is a good choice.  Small, relatively thin, relatively light weight: 
Barrel Length: 3.1″
Height: 4.2″
Length: 6.0″
Width: 1.1″
Weight: 15oz

I have one that cycles as my EDC.  I've put a large number of rounds down range. It's a good shooter. And the price isn't bad, either.  It's DAO, so the trigger pull and reset is a little long, but you can still crank out some speedy shots.

FWIW

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 08:56:16 AM »
Saturday is a large gun show in Atlanta.  I'll go down and fondle these choices.

A .380 is a possibility, but like the SCCY most are either long, bulky or heavy.

I'm intrigued by the Bullpup9, but the prime driver is small and light.

Standby for news.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk