Author Topic: Saturday Morning Rant, was Tuesday Morning.  (Read 5111 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
Saturday Morning Rant, was Tuesday Morning.
« on: February 17, 2018, 11:16:30 AM »
So I managed, just under 40 hours this week.   Even with supporting an FCA fundraiser banquet featuring UGA Kirby Smart last night.

Pretty much have finished my new work bench.   

Was able to get rid of 2 6' tables, one 36"w x 6' shelf unit and a 6' wide vanity cabinet.   My work room is looking nice.

I've always had my reloader at table height, ~27", and reloaded using a chair height stool.  This is much higher and of course I'm using a higher stool.   I know a lot of people reload standing up, but I've always done it seated.  Will have to get a more appropriate stool, especially if Miss Kitty finds me using her good one.   All but 2 of the drawers are full and labeled.    I'm really liking this.

There will always be little things to improve.  Threw away my reloading counter and am working on a simpler version.  The Hornday counter was too expensive for what it gave me.   Right now I've got a $12 Chinese counter with "pause" and "reset" switches built in and am experimenting with magnetic switches as opposed to mechanical micro-switches.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Timothy

Re: Saturday Morning Rant, was Tuesday Morning.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 11:32:41 AM »
I have a similar cabinet.  Did you drill thru the maple top and the cabinet sheet metal to mount your vice?

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 12:41:47 PM »
I did drill through them both for the viSe and the press.   The powder measures are 1" lag screws.
Will work for ammo

Timothy

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 01:25:39 PM »
Thanks.

I’m going to laser cut an oversized plate to spread the load across a greater area under the cabinet sheet metal and do the same.  My top drawer is much shallower but it’ll work ok.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 03:14:39 PM »
I opted for this model, 66" wide, because of the large amount of storage.   The next size up actually has less storage.

I did have to mount the ram of the press an inch away from the edge because there's no overhang.  I've run 600 rounds of 9mm through the resized die already and it feels real solid.
Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:54:27 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 04:23:41 PM »
I did drill through them both for the viSe and the press.   The powder measures are 1" lag screws.

You tell him ALF.  :)  I don't have any reloading gear but I have a decent size vise on one corner of my bench. I made my workbench from a door out of a mobile home I lived in a long time ago. It's a hollow core door that I somehow put a hole through with a hammer. That's a convenient spot for knocking out pins and doing other work that involves something sticking out the back of an object. I used to have things hanging over the edge half unsupported to do those jobs. It's held up well for 27 years and I haven't needed the blueprints I have for a better bench. I have some old wood trim nailed to the back edge of the bench so nothing can roll off the back. I made a shelf front to back and side to side halfway up out of particle board. I didn't buy much else to make the bench. If I need more space I can use the tables I picked up from other peoples trash.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Timothy

Saturday Morning Rant, was Tuesday Morning.
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 06:00:18 PM »
Reinforcing my bench is for more than just the vise.

I’m probably the only guy on the forum with access to a 4kW, CO2 laser and the knowhow to use it!

Might as well...  [emoji4]

Timothy

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 06:12:20 PM »
Yes, vise...

My vices are all worn out!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 06:43:56 PM »
I enjoy my vices much more than my vises.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 08:15:49 PM »
Reinforcing my bench is for more than just the vise.

I’m probably the only guy on the forum with access to a 4kW, CO2 laser and the knowhow to use it!

Might as well...  [emoji4]

4kW?  You're talking input supply?  I worked with a 100W output CO2 and I can't imagine what a 4kW would be like.  A 100 Watter was 12' long 3' high and wide.  Required water cooling. It would bore through solid concrete and steel. I think it drew about 3kW 3phase.   It was in the shop for a tune up from NASA.  They used it to remotely ignite fires in atmospheric test chambers to study their effect without having an igniter contaminate the chamber.
Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk